The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Odd question about pants

How many pairs of pants do most officials have? Obviously you need more shirts than pants because of sweat. I am thinking about getting a 2nd pair of Sansabelt. Or is 1 pair enough and just wash them once a week?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Might I suggest -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
How many pairs of pants do most officials have? Obviously you need more shirts than pants because of sweat. I am thinking about getting a 2nd pair of Sansabelt. Or is 1 pair enough and just wash them once a week?
- washing them after every game. In the thick of the season I will be doing 10 games a week. By the end of the week my pants would be able to drive to the site and possibly call a better game on their own than me if I were to wash them once per week. You can't go wrong with more than one pair of pants - that second pair will come in handy when you have a wardrobe malfunction.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 11:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

I have 4 pair of pants, and I change after every 2 or 3 games.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

4-5 pairs, worn once then washed. I can't imagine anyone wearing one pair all week (several games) and not washing them.

Additionally, I think it is advisable to have more then one pair if only as a backup....you never know when something might happen to your single pair that makes them unusable.

And for that matter, I usually keep a spare bag with a complete uniform in my trunk through the entire season (usually my oldest shoes, shirt, pants). That serves as a backup in case I forget something, some item becomes unusable, or for a parnter. It has come in handy 2-3 times over the years. I don't have to carry it in/out of every game but I can get to it if needed.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And for that matter, I usually keep a spare bag with a complete uniform in my trunk through the entire season (usually my oldest shoes, shirt, pants). That serves as a backup in case I forget something, some item becomes unusable, or for a parnter. It has come in handy 2-3 times over the years. I don't have to carry it in/out of every game but I can get to it if needed.
+1 on packing an extra bag
I own 3 pairs of pants, I wear compression tights underneath, so I can wear the same pants a couple times before washing again.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I work about 50 games (dates) a season. I always have 2 pair and they never get worn twice without being washed.

I buy 2 new pair of pants every season.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I work about 50 games (dates) a season. I always have 2 pair and they never get worn twice without being washed.

I buy 2 new pair of pants every season.
You replace your pants after every season? After 25 uses on each?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not surprised to hear that most clean their slacks regularly. I am surprised to hear most 'wash' them. I've never had the guts to try that.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You replace your pants after every season? After 25 uses on each?
Yes, I do. I keep the old pairs around in case I take something other than varsity basketball or in case I need additional tailoring done (a hem comes loose, etc.). I can get 2 pairs of pants for marginally more than a game check.

I also buy 2 new shirts each season and a new pair of shoes. The only thing I don't replace every season is my jacket -- unlike the pants, my jacket doesn't gets washed. It gets taken off, rezipped, and folded and stored inside out so it doesn't pick up lint.

(You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.)
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I'm not surprised to hear that most clean their slacks regularly. I am surprised to hear most 'wash' them. I've never had the guts to try that.
I wear Smitty pants but I always wash them in the washer and hang dry them. They come out just fine.

Quote:
(You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.)
10?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I wear Smitty pants but I always wash them in the washer and hang dry them. They come out just fine.

10?
Well, I work about 4 days a week during the season -- usually FR, JV, VR, V -- and I don't white hat all the non-varsity games.

I was having problems with mildew this season. I normally buy 3-4 every year, but after 4 weeks I had to put in another order (and I bought different hats). I changed the case I used to be an open air one. I ended up with 3 brand new hats that I can use next season, so I may not get any at all next year.

I've had the same black hat now for 2 years. I wish the R would wear the black hat -- it would be cheaper for me.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 01:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.
You need a lot? This guy only has one and it works just fine for him. Plus - no one argues with his calls. Maybe you should sign up for his clinic.

Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have about 8 pair of pants.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Why? Referee slacks are not fine wool/silk/etc.The material they're made from is nearly bullet proof. They are made for abuse and a washing machine isn't going to do anything to them. Just don't wash them with something that is a lint producer. And hang them promptly out of the dryer. If there is any detectable difference in how they look between washing them and having them cleaned, it probalby disappers about 10 minutes after you put them on.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Referee slacks are not fine wool/silk/etc.The material they're made from is nearly bullet proof. They are made for abuse and a washing machine isn't going to do anything to them. Just don't wash them with something that is a lint producer. And hang them promptly out of the dryer. If there is any detectable difference in how they look between washing them and having them cleaned, it probably disappears about 10 minutes after you put them on.
Agree. I have 4 pair and machine wash them in cold water on gentle cycle - never had a problem. I usually buy 1 new pair and a new shirt each year, then recycle the oldest or most worn. I also keep a spare bag with pants/shirt/shoes in the car.