The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Pants vs. Combo Pants

No, this is not a thread asking who has the best pants. That's been discussed many times. What I want to know is what is the difference between combo pants and plate pants? Would they not be the same size so at a minimum they fit over your shin guards?

I bring this up because I went on line to order pants today and the site listed the plate pants I wanted as not being available until Feb 10. So why don't I just order combo pants? What's the difference?

Happy New Year
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Plate pants are (or should be) designed for just that. They have a fuller cut in the crotch to accommodate the cup and also have (or should have) extra cut in the seat. They are cut in the legs to fit over shin guards without the nagging "riding up" that normal cut pants will do.

Combo pants are supposed to be a happy medium between base and plate pants. Some have a bit extra in the seat but none of them are really cut to fit properly over the shin guards. Personally, they look goofy when worn at the plate. I always suggest umpires wear plate pants when working the plate and not combo's. Plate pants fit better, feel better and look better at the plate.

Now on the bases, you never, never wear plate pants! If you are in proper shape (young and thing) then I suggest base pants. If you are middle aged with a typical middle age spread, I suggest combo pants on the bases. They look better on a "seasoned" umpire. Base pants are too well tailored to look good on umpire with a bit of a spread as many of us older umpires have.

Whatever you choose, get them hemmed properly. If you or your wife (or girl friend) can't do it, have it professionally done. I had four pair done last year for $80 by a tailor that makes suits from scratch and it was well worth it.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:38pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Personally, they look goofy when worn at the plate. I always suggest umpires wear plate pants when working the plate and not combos. Plate pants fit better, feel better and look better at the plate.
"Personally" is the key.

Plate pants have way too much fabric that serves no purpose on a person with relatively thin hips and legs, and who wears smaller shin guards. They don't fit better, feel better or look better on everyone. I wear base pants on the bases and combos on the plate, and would wear plate pants on the plate only if combos were not available for some reason.

Forest, depending upon your build, your leg guards, and the pants themselves, plate pants are a better-fitting, more attractive choice for some, and combos are for others. Plate pants look ridiculously oversized on me.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I also recommend combo pants on the bases for you "athletically cut" umpires with muscular legs - they give you a little more room and comfort
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

The GD combo pants work great for me. I'm 6'1, and 185, with bicycle racer legs, and use really thin, hockey shin guards and NB 450s. It's a great combination. I don't think they look great on my on the bases, though. Okay, but not great. But they look better on me than their regular plate pants.

The old +POS combos were rubbish with my old WV gray shin guards. Too tight. My Honig's combos work with thinner shinguards as plate pants, and look decent on the bases.

I love my old +POS pleated plate pants. Just don't wash them in warm water, and they won't turn pink. (I thought everyone knew that).

Regular base pants are too tight on me at the thighs. So the answer is, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, SO USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

p.s. I also go up 2" in waist size. You're usually tucking in two shirts, and sometimes a plate jacket. That's good advice.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
What I want to know is what is the difference between combo pants and plate pants? Would they not be the same size so at a minimum they fit over your shin guards?

I bring this up because I went on line to order pants today and the site listed the plate pants I wanted as not being available until Feb 10. So why don't I just order combo pants? What's the difference?
Why not wait till Feb 10 to order, or order from someone who has stock already? Plate plants are fuller than combos. I wear plate pants when working one game on the plate, base pants when working one game on the bases. I wear combos for double headers, same pair both games.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of this advice is great. I am one of those muscular leg guys who wears combos as base slacks. And, plates are the only thing that'll fit over my WV Golds.

The shin guards are everything. Base pants have a 22" knee area, Combos have a 24" knee area and Plates have a 26" knee area. Plate pants are the only ones that fit over double knee and triple-knee leg guards. As already stated, combos can be worn behind the plate by thinner guys with single-knee shin guards, and on the bases by guys with bigger legs or a heavier build.

Everything Ozzy stated about the appearance standard matters. You can't stretch combos over your leg guards, and you can't have too much material flapping as you run on the bases. Where they fall over your shoes also matters. I am a 32'' inseam guy, who has them tailored at 32 1/2'' on my plate pants.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 10:02pm.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely lot of good advice here. Especially ordering the pants 2 inches bigger. I hadn’t thought of that. I did find that the best advice came from my dear wife who said just order both (combo and plate) and send one back. Now why didn't I think of that?

I use a local seamstress to do all of my alterations. I have found that my umpire shirts usually have too much material below the belt. I always have that part of the shirt cut off so that I’m not tucking too much in. When I get my pants, I’ll take all of my gear over to the seamstress, dress for the plate and have her alternate from there. A little expense and inconvenience but everything will fit and look good when I’m done.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Definitely lot of good advice here. Especially ordering the pants 2 inches bigger. I hadn’t thought of that. I did find that the best advice came from my dear wife who said just order both (combo and plate) and send one back. Now why didn't I think of that?

I use a local seamstress to do all of my alterations. I have found that my umpire shirts usually have too much material below the belt. I always have that part of the shirt cut off so that I’m not tucking too much in. When I get my pants, I’ll take all of my gear over to the seamstress, dress for the plate and have her alternate from there. A little expense and inconvenience but everything will fit and look good when I’m done.
A) It costs as much as $16.00 to return a pair of pants that you bought online ($8.00 each way). Of course, what would a wife know about any of that.

B) I can just see myself standing in the middle of the local cleaners with my sweet, little seamstress and I'm all geared up in my plate gear. Sure.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
B) I can just see myself standing in the middle of the local cleaners with my sweet, little seamstress and I'm all geared up in my plate gear. Sure.
I like my plate pants to fit properly when I work games, so I always wear my plate shoes and my shin guards when I have them "fitted" for alterations.

Where's the problem?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, no worries. I just put myself in that picture and it was an amusing image.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Kevin...I would not want to see myself in your scenario either.....however my seamstress works from the privacy of her home. That does makes it a bit easier. I'm short and stocky so I find anything off the rack to rarely fit well. The extra shipping cost doesn’t compare to the convenience of shopping from home. Works for me anyway.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kevin...I would not want to see myself in your scenario either.....however my seamstress works from the privacy of her home. That does makes it a bit easier. I'm short and stocky so I find anything off the rack to rarely fit well. The extra shipping cost doesn’t compare to the convenience of shopping from home. Works for me anyway.
This is a great idea.

I'm going to invite my seamstress to the house! I'll have to coordinate my next slacks purchase with one of my wife's out-of-town jaunts, but it could work.

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Add in some nice wine and music and you may get the pants done for free. I see nothing but trouble in your future if you heed this advice.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
....clipped....

I have my wife pin the hem while at home while wearing the shoes and shin guards. Take these to the seamstress and she charges me $8.00 per trouser.