The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odd question about pants (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59636-odd-question-about-pants.html)

cmhjordan23 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:45am

Odd question about pants

How many pairs of pants do most officials have? Obviously you need more shirts than pants because of sweat. I am thinking about getting a 2nd pair of Sansabelt. Or is 1 pair enough and just wash them once a week?

Scuba_ref Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51am

Might I suggest -

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 699742)
How many pairs of pants do most officials have? Obviously you need more shirts than pants because of sweat. I am thinking about getting a 2nd pair of Sansabelt. Or is 1 pair enough and just wash them once a week?

- washing them after every game. In the thick of the season I will be doing 10 games a week. By the end of the week my pants would be able to drive to the site and possibly call a better game on their own than me if I were to wash them once per week. You can't go wrong with more than one pair of pants - that second pair will come in handy when you have a wardrobe malfunction.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:54am

I have 4 pair of pants, and I change after every 2 or 3 games.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09pm

4-5 pairs, worn once then washed. I can't imagine anyone wearing one pair all week (several games) and not washing them.

Additionally, I think it is advisable to have more then one pair if only as a backup....you never know when something might happen to your single pair that makes them unusable.

And for that matter, I usually keep a spare bag with a complete uniform in my trunk through the entire season (usually my oldest shoes, shirt, pants). That serves as a backup in case I forget something, some item becomes unusable, or for a parnter. It has come in handy 2-3 times over the years. I don't have to carry it in/out of every game but I can get to it if needed.

Indianaref Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 699746)
And for that matter, I usually keep a spare bag with a complete uniform in my trunk through the entire season (usually my oldest shoes, shirt, pants). That serves as a backup in case I forget something, some item becomes unusable, or for a parnter. It has come in handy 2-3 times over the years. I don't have to carry it in/out of every game but I can get to it if needed.

+1 on packing an extra bag
I own 3 pairs of pants, I wear compression tights underneath, so I can wear the same pants a couple times before washing again.

Rich Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:34pm

I work about 50 games (dates) a season. I always have 2 pair and they never get worn twice without being washed.

I buy 2 new pair of pants every season.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 699749)
I work about 50 games (dates) a season. I always have 2 pair and they never get worn twice without being washed.

I buy 2 new pair of pants every season.

You replace your pants after every season? After 25 uses on each?

DLH17 Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:21pm

I'm not surprised to hear that most clean their slacks regularly. I am surprised to hear most 'wash' them. I've never had the guts to try that.

Rich Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 699752)
You replace your pants after every season? After 25 uses on each?

Yes, I do. I keep the old pairs around in case I take something other than varsity basketball or in case I need additional tailoring done (a hem comes loose, etc.). I can get 2 pairs of pants for marginally more than a game check.

I also buy 2 new shirts each season and a new pair of shoes. The only thing I don't replace every season is my jacket -- unlike the pants, my jacket doesn't gets washed. It gets taken off, rezipped, and folded and stored inside out so it doesn't pick up lint.

(You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.)

Welpe Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 699755)
I'm not surprised to hear that most clean their slacks regularly. I am surprised to hear most 'wash' them. I've never had the guts to try that.

I wear Smitty pants but I always wash them in the washer and hang dry them. They come out just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 699758)
(You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.)

10?

Rich Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 699760)
I wear Smitty pants but I always wash them in the washer and hang dry them. They come out just fine.

10?

Well, I work about 4 days a week during the season -- usually FR, JV, VR, V -- and I don't white hat all the non-varsity games.

I was having problems with mildew this season. I normally buy 3-4 every year, but after 4 weeks I had to put in another order (and I bought different hats). I changed the case I used to be an open air one. I ended up with 3 brand new hats that I can use next season, so I may not get any at all next year.

I've had the same black hat now for 2 years. I wish the R would wear the black hat -- it would be cheaper for me.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 05, 2010 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 699758)
You should see how many white hats I buy each year for a 10 week football season.

You need a lot? This guy only has one and it works just fine for him. Plus - no one argues with his calls. Maybe you should sign up for his clinic. ;)

http://www.unsignedbandpromotion.com...-white-hat.jpg

JRutledge Fri Nov 05, 2010 02:58pm

I have about 8 pair of pants.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Nov 05, 2010 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 699755)

Why? Referee slacks are not fine wool/silk/etc.The material they're made from is nearly bullet proof. They are made for abuse and a washing machine isn't going to do anything to them. Just don't wash them with something that is a lint producer. And hang them promptly out of the dryer. If there is any detectable difference in how they look between washing them and having them cleaned, it probalby disappers about 10 minutes after you put them on.

TimTaylor Fri Nov 05, 2010 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 699773)
Why? Referee slacks are not fine wool/silk/etc.The material they're made from is nearly bullet proof. They are made for abuse and a washing machine isn't going to do anything to them. Just don't wash them with something that is a lint producer. And hang them promptly out of the dryer. If there is any detectable difference in how they look between washing them and having them cleaned, it probably disappears about 10 minutes after you put them on.

Agree. I have 4 pair and machine wash them in cold water on gentle cycle - never had a problem. I usually buy 1 new pair and a new shirt each year, then recycle the oldest or most worn. I also keep a spare bag with pants/shirt/shoes in the car.