The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

IDK mbyron... we have the accept/decline boxes for every game we are offered via Arbiter.

Personally, I check the accept box for any assignment offered, regardless of gender or level. Many of our Big Dawgs will not travel past certain limits or work a 2 person game or even work girls games.

Most assignors don't offer the more skilled officials girls games anyway, unless its part of a double-header.

We are required to work a certain amount of girls & lower-level games to be considered eligible for post-season.

All in all, I stick by my original comment. Lets face it unlike college & up, at the HS level they need us more than we need them.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why is it that we don't see top notch coaches not doing Varsity Girls?
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Why is it that we don't see top notch coaches not doing Varsity Girls?
Would that be considered a smart-aleck response?
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Would that be considered a smart-aleck response?
It might be, but it might also challenge the coach's assumption / perception that "high level" officials aren't working girl's games.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 03:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It might be, but it might also challenge the coach's assumption / perception that "high level" officials aren't working girl's games.
Excellent point - as always - Mr. Jenkins.

What criteria are these two coaches using for determining who is a "high level" official? They are making the assumption that the officials they watch do the boys games are somehow better than the officials doing their (girls) games. Why do they make that assumption?
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

This year in Kentucky they are hitting this very thing hard for all officials! It doesn't matter how many boys games you call all season long, but if you don't get 8 varsity girls games for the season you are not eligible for POST SEASON PLAY! Not even right, I don't think I've called 8 girls games in the last 3 years. Now I have to do a mandatory 8 to be eligible to do post season...Pitiful. But this will take care of the question that was asked in this thread.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 07:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
IDK mbyron... we have the accept/decline boxes for every game we are offered via Arbiter.

Personally, I check the accept box for any assignment offered, regardless of gender or level. Many of our Big Dawgs will not travel past certain limits or work a 2 person game or even work girls games.

Most assignors don't offer the more skilled officials girls games anyway, unless its part of a double-header.

We are required to work a certain amount of girls & lower-level games to be considered eligible for post-season.

All in all, I stick by my original comment. Lets face it unlike college & up, at the HS level they need us more than we need them.
I only turn games down do to scheduling conflicts I hadn't had a chance to block on arbiter.

In CO, officials have to work a certain number of girls games and a certain number of jv games to be eligible for post season. Most try to "double dip" on the requirement by working JV girls games.

The fact that some states have this as a requirement shows that the preference is widespread. Whether it's perception or not really doesn't matter, but there are some officials who would rather work a JH boys game than a varsity girls (or even a college women) game.

The only way this would be a Title IX issue would be if schools or assigners were offering bigger incentives for the boys games (higher fees, 3-whistle vs 2-whistle, etc.)
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The only way this would be a Title IX issue would be if schools or assigners were offering bigger incentives for the boys games (higher fees, 3-whistle vs 2-whistle, etc.)
As a matter of law, that is not true. Discrimination does not have to be intentional or bigoted, but can be an "accidental" effect of apparently disparate choices. Policies that have the effect of differential treatment for men and women are routinely overturned in court, no matter what their rationale is.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 09:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As a matter of law, that is not true. Discrimination does not have to be intentional or bigoted, but can be an "accidental" effect of apparently disparate choices. Policies that have the effect of differential treatment for men and women are routinely overturned in court, no matter what their rationale is.
Nothing about either of my suggestions is necessarily purposeful discrimination. I could easily see a push, for example, to have three officials in boys games while the girls get two. Frankly, without Title IX, we'd probably already see that.

My point was that Title IX affects schools, not privately contracted officials and their choices of which games to work. It seems to me, from my limited perspective, that the schools would only have to show they've done as much as they can to equalize the officiating.

If officials were liable, you'd see football officials forced to work volleyball.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 09:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If anything, I would simply tell the coaches that I really have no insight into that; but he's welcome to contact the assigner to find out why.

I really like the snarky reply regarding coaches, however.