The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Boys V Game tonight between 2 pretty good teams. Anyway, I am C and A1 drives down the lane to the hoop. B brushes him at the foul line but I let it go since A has an easy lay-up (which he makes). At next dead ball coach of A asks (actually quite nicely) why I didn't call a block on B. I said because his player had a clear lay-up and if I called it it would have been on the floor and no points. He didn't buy it and said I should have called it anyway (not sure why since he got 2 points).

My question is should I have answered like this? I mean, should I have aknowledged that I saw the foul but chose to play the advantage or just say "coach, I didn't see it like that" and continue on?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!

I probably would have said, "Coach I did not see any contact that affected the play." He can take it or leave it at that point. But it is easy to say that here and I might say something different if I was confronted with the situation in a real game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Jeff,

Thanks. As soon as I said it I thought I probably should have said something else,but it was too late.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:38am
Do not give a damn!!

I have been there too Johnny.

My rule of thumb is to say less and not be as descriptive when they ask questions. That does not mean I always follow that to the letter.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have been there too Johnny.

My rule of thumb is to say less and not be as descriptive when they ask questions. That does not mean I always follow that to the letter.

Peace
Less usually is better. The other night a coach asked me, "what do I have to do to get a foul call down there?"

Kind of stumped me so I said nothing. He asked again later and all i could think of was, "coach, we'll watch for it".

Sometimes coaches just want you to know they are being heard I think.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

I'd say," I'm not taking away the lay up coach."

I was at a camp once and they were not keeping track of the fouls, and at the 10 minute mark of each half all non-shooting fouls were 1 and 1.

One team had a couple of 6' 7" kids and the other team had nobody over 6' 1". The small team would front and tug the big kids on the entry pass, and if the contact did not stop the catch we'd pass and allow the dunk or lay up that would follow. The coach was going nuts, because we were not calling the holding fouls against his big kids, we tried to explain, but he would not listen, so we got together and said fine, he wants it we'll give him the call.

His big kids shot about 3 for 20 from the free throw line and his team lost by 20, of course after the game it was all our fault his team lost.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Boys V Game tonight between 2 pretty good teams. Anyway, I am C and A1 drives down the lane to the hoop. B brushes him at the foul line but I let it go since A has an easy lay-up (which he makes). At next dead ball coach of A asks (actually quite nicely) why I didn't call a block on B. I said because his player had a clear lay-up and if I called it it would have been on the floor and no points. He didn't buy it and said I should have called it anyway (not sure why since he got 2 points).

My question is should I have answered like this? I mean, should I have aknowledged that I saw the foul but chose to play the advantage or just say "coach, I didn't see it like that" and continue on?
I see no problem with what you said. I have said, "coach, I didn't want to take two points away from your player" before. Usually they understand. Some coaches aren't going to be satisfied no matter what you say.

Z
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

My response would be: "Coach, I did observe a little contact, but the contact did not warrant a foul being called since there was no disadvantage to your player and recall that Rule 4-27 states that all contact does not necessitate a foul. I'll give your team the same consideration on the other end of the floor."
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
That was a good no call. I have been trying to do the same thing when is comes to things like that. Why stop the play and interupt the flow of the game. Most of the time, player will play thru the contact unless its hard contact. Continue what you are doing and just let the coach know that you are watching for contact, but it was your judgement that the contact didnt inhibit the player from making the layup. He was probably looking for an and-1!
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 08:18am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao

johnnyrao:

I have two questions. If the contact had happened out front in what was once called the "mid-court area" would you have called a foul on B1? Had A1 picked up his dribble prior to the contact by B1?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
He was probably looking for an and-1!
I never thought of that. I blew that one last week by calling a shooting foul on what should have been a non-shooting foul so I was working hard last night not to let that happen again.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Yep, most coach think they are suppose to get that during the long drive to the basket! I made that mistake and everyone was hollering NBA! My evaluator told me that we were not in the NBA. It was funny and we all laughed.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 09:05am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
My response would be: "Coach, I did observe a little contact, but the contact did not warrant a foul being called since there was no disadvantage to your player and recall that Rule 4-27 states that all contact does not necessitate a foul. I'll give your team the same consideration on the other end of the floor."
IMHO, too much.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 09:16am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Yep, most coach think they are suppose to get that during the long drive to the basket! I made that mistake and everyone was hollering NBA! My evaluator told me that we were not in the NBA. It was funny and we all laughed.

IREFU2:

What didn't your evaluator like about you continuous motion call? Could you please describe your play in detail? Too many people don't realize that a shooter can cover quite of bit of court while in the act of shooting and if he is fouled at any time while in the act of shooting is entitled to the points if his field goal attempt is successful.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Talking

exactly! If you get a coach to listen to that long winded response you are holding up the game and sounding like a pompous....