The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question about Coach's Box

If a coach gets a T in a state that uses a coaching box (coach can stand). When the coach gets a direct T he has to sit down the rest of the game. My question is can the coach sit anywhere he wants to in the bench area or does he have to sit inside the coach's box for the rest of the game.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

If you lose the box I do not think it matters where they sit. Now that is just my first take without reviewing the casebook. I do not know if this is even addressed specifically in the rule or casebook. The box is for the coach to have a place to stand. If you lose the box I do not see why it matters because a coach can only stand for a few reasons after that.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret
If a coach gets a T in a state that uses a coaching box (coach can stand). When the coach gets a direct T he has to sit down the rest of the game. My question is can the coach sit anywhere he wants to in the bench area or does he have to sit inside the coach's box for the rest of the game.
And it's not just for a direct T on the coach.....any T charged to the HC, direct or indirect, and he loses use of the coaching box.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

According to our rules interpretor, he can sit anywhere on the bench.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

The logic used in Case Book play 10.5.1 Sit E would indicate that the coach's chair must be located within the coaching box, if it was used at anytime during the game. (BTW, I would not attempt to enforce this, but that is what the rule says.)

10.5.1 SITUATION E: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions. (10-5 Note 1)
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The logic used in Case Book play 10.5.1 Sit E would indicate that the coach's chair must be located within the coaching box, if it was used at anytime during the game. (BTW, I would not attempt to enforce this, but that is what the rule says.)[/COLOR]
I disagree with this logic. The rule / case say, "If the coach is not in the box at the beginning of the game, the box doesn't exist." That's not the same as "if the box exists at the beginning of the game, the coach must remain in it."
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret
does he have to sit inside the coach's box for the rest of the game.
What is this "coach's box" that you speak of? I think it's a mythical being, like JurassicRef's sense of humor or Dan_ref's hair.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What is this "coach's box" that you speak of? I think it's a mythical being, like JurassicRef's sense of humor or Dan_ref's hair.
Or Chuck Elias' height......
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:19am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Or Chuck Elias' height......
Thanks for proving my point!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Thanks for proving my point!
Hey, Dan's bald and I'm grumpy. Howinthehell could I argue with you?

I just threw that in about Chuck just because....well....I like to keep in practise.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you lose the box I do not think it matters where they sit. Now that is just my first take without reviewing the casebook. I do not know if this is even addressed specifically in the rule or casebook. The box is for the coach to have a place to stand. If you lose the box I do not see why it matters because a coach can only stand for a few reasons after that.

Peace
What exactly are these few reasons that they can stand? I have never found out precisely what they are, but have been told they can stand DURING a timeout, and BETWEEN quarters. is that true?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
What exactly are these few reasons that they can stand? I have never found out precisely what they are, but have been told they can stand DURING a timeout, and BETWEEN quarters. is that true?
See 10-4-4

Yes, that's true, it's right there in (c).
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
See rule 10-5NOTES1.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

bench area

J Rutledge,
In most of our high schools the team sits on the bottom row of the bleachers. You are saying if the coach gets a direct T then he can sit anywhere. Can he move in front of the score table? Can he sit on the last seat on the end line? Anytime that he can stand ( timeout, end of quarter, hurt player) can he move to another location before he sits down? Just wondering how far would you let the coach go? I agree with Nevadaref. I believe if he is using the coaches box and gets a T then he should remain seated inside the box for the rest of the game.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

hes not a caged animal -- all these coaches box discussions give me the impression that a lot of officials treat the coach like a hamster or gerbil --