The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
So we've got the L looking for a foul, the C looking for a 5 second count and the T looking for traveling...all on the same post up? Yikes!
Can you imagine the C coming across the court for a 5 second call on a post player standing three feet from the L? Talk about fireworks.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
That is what I've been told, many times, by many different officials, including clinician-certified State Final officials.

I happen to disagree with the mechanic. I have asked these officials, many times, why it is necessary to have 2 sets of eyes on-ball (L, and the C or T with the count), but no one can tell me why it's acceptable in this instance.
The NFHS manual very clearly says that the official that has primary coverage is responsible for the five second count. See page 61, section 3.3.2 B. This includes the lead official.

If you have your own manual that says otherwise, fine. Most time when someone says this, they either work NCAAM or just mirror what they see in NCAAM games on TV.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 05:22pm.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The NFHS manual very clearly says that the official that has primary coverage is responsible for the five second count. See page 61, section 3.3.2 B. This includes the lead official.

If you have your own manual that says otherwise, fine. Most time when someone says this, they either work NCAAM or just mirror what they see in NCAAM games on TV.
Well, M&M does work in Illinois; that could be a major factor here.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't NFHS have a POE in the recent past stating the lead should have a visible closely guarded count when applicablie? How's a head coach suppose to know that an official has a count and how far along in the count before a violation?

As far as the OP's post goes, most definitely the closely guarded count does apply here. I've never gotten to five but had some counts get close.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Can you imagine the C coming across the court for a 5 second call on a post player standing three feet from the L? Talk about fireworks.
Exactly. I know it's been said before, but if all three officials are on-ball, who is watching the other 8? The very notion of the C or T having the count on a post up in front of the lead boggles my (admittedly very tiny) mind.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ok, cool - maybe this is a change from past manuals. I know I have been told in the past, at several different HS camps, by several different higher-level officials, that the L never has a 5-sec. count. I may have to ask these same officials if they've changed their thinking, or if they are simply stubborn. Like a few people on here...

I know in NCAA-W the L most definitely is responsible for the 5-sec. count. It makes the most sense, given the responses above - if there are 2 (or 3?!?) sets of eyes on the ball, who has the rest of the players?

My purpose in pointing this out was in reference to the OP - there may be other officials that carry that same idea, and that may be why Fritz had not noticed the L count before.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, M&M does work in Illinois; that could be a major factor here.
Well, if I find that IL manual, I know where I'll put it...

Oh, and shut up.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it is just me, and I wouldn't be suprised if it was, but has anyone called a 5 second violation on a player on the low block? I can see a high post 5 second call but a low post one? If a player holds for 4 seconds, dribbles for 4 seconds and then holds for 4 that is a lot of time in the post. Not thinking of anytime I would have called this, but again, it might be just me.
As per the OP, the T could have this call in NCAA W. Although, Id fill it under ," I'll call it, you explain it"! LOL
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Maybe it is just me, and I wouldn't be suprised if it was, but has anyone called a 5 second violation on a player on the low block? I can see a high post 5 second call but a low post one? If a player holds for 4 seconds, dribbles for 4 seconds and then holds for 4 that is a lot of time in the post. Not thinking of anytime I would have called this, but again, it might be just me.
As per the OP, the T could have this call in NCAA W. Although, Id fill it under ," I'll call it, you explain it"! LOL
The primary has the count in NCAAW, unless that's changed recently.

The place where it's important, IMO, is when the post player gets trapped right about the time the official would've been at 3 or so. Too late to start a fresh count then, but a 5-second call is just as valid there as anywhere else on the court.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Even the NBA has a closely guarded count in this situation.
Just an FYI, a back-to-basket count only applies when a player dribbling the ball has his back or side to the basket below the free throw line extended and ends when the dribble is picked up, ball is deflected by the defense, or the player faces the basket/dribbles above the free throw line extended. So it's not exactly like the NFHS/NCAA-M closely guarded rule.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The primary has the count in NCAAW, unless that's changed recently.

The place where it's important, IMO, is when the post player gets trapped right about the time the official would've been at 3 or so. Too late to start a fresh count then, but a 5-second call is just as valid there as anywhere else on the court.
It changed a few years ago. If ball goes below FT line extended (roughly) L picks it up and T takes the post action. So if a pass went from the baseline 3 to the low post the L would have the matchup at the 3 pt. area and T would have post action.
Not saying it can't happen, just having a difficult time imagining it happening or someone callling it. Although a trap after the post player killed their dribble would be the most obvious choice.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just an FYI, a back-to-basket count only applies when a player dribbling the ball has his back or side to the basket below the free throw line extended
And that's exactly why I said that the NBA has a 5-second count "in this situation". From the original post:

Quote:
Ball goes into a post player who has his back to the basket and is dribbling trying to decide what move to make
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This reasoning is much different than your OP.
yeah, I didn't explain myself very well. I agree with what the rule language says but since I have never seen it called by any of the veteran officials I've worked with or watched, I figured there must be a reason. When I have asked, they always responded that the interpretation was it only applied to face-to-face guarding (hence the head/shoulders comment).

Enjoying all the subsequent comments. But could see an interesting scenario crop up - - - L starts giving the 5-second visible count while the post player is actually in the lane trying to decide what to do (don't the mechanics say we supposed to start our visible count immediately?) and then coaches/fans/players think we are now doing a visible 3-second count.............