View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The NFHS manual very clearly says that the official that has primary coverage is responsible for the five second count. See page 61, section 3.3.2 B. This includes the lead official.

If you have your own manual that says otherwise, fine. Most time when someone says this, they either work NCAAM or just mirror what they see in NCAAM games on TV.
Ok, cool - maybe this is a change from past manuals. I know I have been told in the past, at several different HS camps, by several different higher-level officials, that the L never has a 5-sec. count. I may have to ask these same officials if they've changed their thinking, or if they are simply stubborn. Like a few people on here...

I know in NCAA-W the L most definitely is responsible for the 5-sec. count. It makes the most sense, given the responses above - if there are 2 (or 3?!?) sets of eyes on the ball, who has the rest of the players?

My purpose in pointing this out was in reference to the OP - there may be other officials that carry that same idea, and that may be why Fritz had not noticed the L count before.

(Used with permission.)