The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Closely Guarded Post Player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59534-closely-guarded-post-player.html)

Fritz Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44am

Closely Guarded Post Player

need some help in a debate I am having with a regular partner of mine. Ball goes into a post player who has his back to the basket and is dribbling trying to decide what move to make and how the defender is reacting. Does the closely guarded count apply?

I say no because the rule book talks about the count ending once the dribbler gets his head/shoulders past the defender - implying that closely guarded occurs when opponents are facing each other. And I have never seen a visible count done in this situation by anyone I have watched or worked with.

My "debater" says that isn't true as the book never says they have to face each other.

So, experts, what is the correct application?

mbyron Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45am

Your "debater" has the rule right.

Adam Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:53am

Imagine the same positioning, only 19 feet from the basket. Do you have a count?

tref Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 697908)
I say no because the rule book talks about the count ending once the dribbler gets his head/shoulders past the defender - implying that closely guarded occurs when opponents are facing each other.

They mean when the offensive player drives past the defender.

Scrapper1 Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 697908)
need some help in a debate I am having with a regular partner of mine. Ball goes into a post player who has his back to the basket and is dribbling trying to decide what move to make and how the defender is reacting. Does the closely guarded count apply?

Even the NBA has a closely guarded count in this situation.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:50pm

Perhaps part of the confusion lies with the fact that, according to Fed. mechanics, the L does not show a visible count in these situations, even though the players are entirely within the L's area of coverage. And, since no one is counting, there would never be a 5-second call made by the L.

Scrapper1 Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 697930)
Perhaps part of the confusion lies with the fact that, according to Fed. mechanics, the L does not show a visible count in these situations,

Even in 2-whistle??? The Trail is supposed to watch all the off-ball stuff AND get the closely guarded count in the Lead's primary?

Smitty Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 697930)
according to Fed. mechanics, the L does not show a visible count in these situations, even though the players are entirely within the L's area of coverage.

Where is this documented?

rlarry Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:01pm

I've been wrong before, but the only count by anyone that isn't visible is the 3 second count

M&M Guy Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 697933)
Even in 2-whistle??? The Trail is supposed to watch all the off-ball stuff AND get the closely guarded count in the Lead's primary?

That is what I've been told, many times, by many different officials, including clinician-certified State Final officials.

I happen to disagree with the mechanic. I have asked these officials, many times, why it is necessary to have 2 sets of eyes on-ball (L, and the C or T with the count), but no one can tell me why it's acceptable in this instance.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 697934)
Where is this documented?

I believe the issue was how the Fed. Mechanics Manual was written. I don't have it in front of me, but I think somewhere in there it says the T and/or C are responsible for the 5-second closely-guarded counts, which many have taken to imply the L would then never have that count.

Again, I don't agree with that philosophy, but when in Rome...

Fritz Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:42pm

I agree that the strict language of the rule would indicate that the CG count should apply, but like the earlier comments, I have never seen anyone give a visible count in that instance. And though it isn't like the post player holds the ball or dribbles that long without doing something, it does happen. With no count begin given during this, it would be interesting to suddenly come up calling the violation and have to explain why you weren't signalling.

Adam Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 697944)
I agree that the strict language of the rule would indicate that the CG count should apply, but like the earlier comments, I have never seen anyone give a visible count in that instance. And though it isn't like the post player holds the ball or dribbles that long without doing something, it does happen. With no count begin given during this, it would be interesting to suddenly come up calling the violation and have to explain why you weren't signalling.

This reasoning is much different than your OP. :D

ODJ Mon Oct 25, 2010 04:33pm

I would think the C would have a count, but since most often this post-up is in the lane, 3 secs. come before 5.

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 25, 2010 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 697955)
I would think the C would have a count, but since most often this post-up is in the lane, 3 secs. come before 5.

So we've got the L looking for a foul, the C looking for a 5 second count and the T looking for traveling...all on the same post up? Yikes!