The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hello all...been a while since I posted but I've been around...I learn more here than any clinic I go to.

With regard to the closely guarded rule...If a ball handler has been closely guarded by one defender for say 3 seconds and another defender then picks up this ball handler and continues to guard him closely for another 2 count(while the first defender peels away and picks up someone else)...can this constitute a 5 second violation? In this example, there is never a time when the ball handler was not being closely guarded.

Also, I see more than a casual reference to "working on mechanics." I assume you all are not referring to the fella that works on your car...I'm curious as to what you mean.

Thank you.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, coach, that situation would result in a closely guarded violation. The definition of "closely guarded" states an opponent must be within six feet of the offensive player but does not specify that it be the same opponent throughout the count.

With regard to your question regarding mechanics. Mechanics is the term we use for our signals, placement on the floor, movement, rotations, etc.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
With regard to the closely guarded rule...If a ball handler has been closely guarded by one defender for say 3 seconds and another defender then picks up this ball handler and continues to guard him closely for another 2 count(while the first defender peels away and picks up someone else)...can this constitute a 5 second violation? In this example, there is never a time when the ball handler was not being closely guarded.

Yes in FED.

No in NCAA (the same defender must be guarding for 5 seconds for a violation).