The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, it's tantamount to paying a commission. Just like entertainers and athletes pay to their agents. The commissioner is a receiving a fee for service.
And the service he is providing is to the member schools in getting officials for them, not to the officials themselves who are providing a service themselves. Therefore, the schools not the officials should be paying the commission. That's the point, which you are missing.

Otherwise, let the school ADs or athletic secretaries contract and obtain their own officials. If they don't wish to do that task, then they should pay someone else to do it for them.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I have no problem at all with an assignment fee. Those guys spend lots of time getting their games booked and should be compensated. One previous assignor took a flat fee based on number of games booked, which I thought was very generous. Another charged $2 per game. I think the associations have a booking fee that is assessed to the schools down here. Nobody should work for free. And if you [not the quoted poster] think that assignors are any different, perhaps you would like to trade places. For no fee of course.
I am on the Executive Boards, which do the assigning, for two different HS sports in my area. I fully understand the time and effort which goes into it. My issue is not with the assignors getting compensated for their services, but rather WHO is paying them for the task. I believe that it should be the schools and NOT the game officials.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're talking about 2 different fees here.

There is an assignor's fee (8-10%) that comes out of our game fees that the schools have nothing to do with.

You also have a fee that schools pay up front to the commissioner/assignor to assign their games for the season. In our association's case, that fee is very small, somthing like $25/school. That's a fee that has no effect on the officials.
Why does the assignor need two fees?
Is it ethical to double-dip and charge both sides for the same service?

Quote:
I disagree. The schools are agreeing to pay a set fee for each game. What the association does with that money is none of their concern. The 8-10% we pay the commissioner out of our game fee is what we pay for the commissioner to negioate and secure those contracts/games for us. Now, I think 8-10% is too high but I don't think the commissioner should be assigning me games for free. He is essentially acting as my agent.

The upfront fee the schools pay to the assignor/commissioner is what they pay for the scheduling service the assignor/commissioner provides. As I have stated, it a nominal fee. I'm assuming is bascially an administrative fee to cover cost of doing the paperwork.
I believe that the problem is that the assignor/commissioner is not being strong enough in his dealings with the schools. He should not be accepting a nominal fee from them and then charging the game officials 8-10% in order to obtain enough compensation for his duties. That is not fighting for his officials. It is taking advantage of them.
I believe that your guy is doing it backwards.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
In the Baltimore Metro area guys are paying in the neighborhood of $125 up to $150. However don't forget that includes IAABO dues.

But if you wanna talk about assigner fees', the word on the street that the guy who is the assigner for IAABO #12 makes in excess of $80,000 GGGGGG's.

Can't confirm that, although maybe someone from D.C. / Board #12 can confirm.

Hey Billy Mac - in the number you gave does that include your IAABO dues????
I can confirm that. He made over $70,000 while I was there and that was more than a decade ago.
However, please understand that includes all of the rec and summer games, not just the HS games.
If it is still the same person his initials are JM.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 07:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why does the assignor need two fees?
Is it ethical to double-dip and charge both sides for the same service?

I believe that the problem is that the assignor/commissioner is not being strong enough in his dealings with the schools. He should not be accepting a nominal fee from them and then charging the game officials 8-10% in order to obtain enough compensation for his duties. That is not fighting for his officials. It is taking advantage of them.
I believe that your guy is doing it backwards.
The point you are missing is that all associations around here operate that way (which I have already stated once before in this thread). So you can quit blaming it on "one" guy. It the system that is used here.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The point you are missing is that all associations around here operate that way (which I have already stated once before in this thread). So you can quit blaming it on "one" guy. It the system that is used here.
I just got off the phone with my president. VHSL just held a leadership conference for all sports associations and school administrators this past weekend.

President says there are associations in VA who are charging a 4%/game booking fees to the schools AND still taking 8-10% from the officials.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the service he is providing is to the member schools in getting officials for them, not to the officials themselves who are providing a service themselves. Therefore, the schools not the officials should be paying the commission. That's the point, which you are missing.

Otherwise, let the school ADs or athletic secretaries contract and obtain their own officials. If they don't wish to do that task, then they should pay someone else to do it for them.
The assignor is not doing anything for you? He's giving you the job. Assigning is more or less like a temp agency. I bet you'd not find a temp agency anywhere that doesn't take a cut of what client is paying the temp.....and the client is also paying a fee to the temp agency. I still fail to see what your issue is.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my president. VHSL just held a leadership conference for all sports associations and school administrators this past weekend.

President says there are associations in VA who are charging a 4%/game booking fees to the schools AND still taking 8-10% from the officials.
Um what else is new?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Perhaps you are warming to my thinking on this. I don't believe that is proper, especially if both sides aren't aware that the other is being charged and how much.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

You are right !!!!!!

Quote:
I can confirm that. He made over $70,000 while I was there and that was more than a decade ago.
However, please understand that includes all of the rec and summer games, not just the HS games.
If it is still the same person his initials are JM.
Does anybody know of a hs assigner that makes more than $70,000 ??????

Talking about ruling with an Iron Fist !!!!!!

And get this my sources tell me he still isn't using the arbiter !!!!
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 02:07pm
Back from the DL

It's $85 here in the nation's northeast corner, and the annual fall conference is another $40. All boards in each sport are separate entities, so there are no discounts for multiple sports. (It's only $50 for soccer, anyway.)

We also pay fines of $5/game to the assigner if we turn back a game we already accepted on Arbiter.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

What if .......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

We also pay fines of $5/game to the assigner if we turn back a game we already accepted on Arbiter.
Hey Bainsey -

Does the assigner waive that fee if you receive a game at a high level?

I think that fine is reasonable, but if you receive a college basketball game

the fine should be waived.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Beg to differ - just hear me out......................

Quote:
Perhaps you are warming to my thinking on this. I don't believe that is proper, especially if both sides aren't aware that the other is being charged and how much.
Quote:

While you make a valid point, just hear my argument.

I assign two sports and have 12 schools both jv and v teams.

I get my schedule about a month and a half prior to the season beginning.

I charge each school $75 to assign their games and get $7 per varsity official

and $5 per jv official. $14 a v game and $10 a jv game. The $75 covers

all the changes that occur during the season (weather is not taken into

consideration) Sometimes games are changed because their is a field trip

and team won't have enough players. My point is am I double dippin sure

but I am working for both sides.

Comments ????
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
While you make a valid point, just hear my argument.

I assign two sports and have 12 schools both jv and v teams.

I get my schedule about a month and a half prior to the season beginning.

I charge each school $75 to assign their games and get $7 per varsity official

and $5 per jv official. $14 a v game and $10 a jv game. The $75 covers

all the changes that occur during the season (weather is not taken into

consideration) Sometimes games are changed because their is a field trip

and team won't have enough players. My point is am I double dippin sure

but I am working for both sides.

Comments ????
Yeah, that's a lot of money going to you for each game.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got no issue with what assigner's make. If you don't like it, create your own association and charge what you think is reasonable.