The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yes, it's my second year. I did not attend a 3 whistle camp this summer so I don't believe I even qualify to work varsity games this year.
I was my understanding from a previous discuss with Chapter President that attending a camp is not mandatory to get varsity games, obviously camps are good but not sure it gets on you on the list. There are a couple districts that use two officials for varsity, mainly girls game.
I will probably go, see if I have any luck in getting a couple of games.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 04:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sending you a PM.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Oct 21, 2010 at 04:25pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are getting of cheap

In the Baltimore Metro area guys are paying in the neighborhood of $125 up to $150. However don't forget that includes IAABO dues.

But if you wanna talk about assigner fees', the word on the street that the guy who is the assigner for IAABO #12 makes in excess of $80,000 GGGGGG's.

Can't confirm that, although maybe someone from D.C. / Board #12 can confirm.

Hey Billy Mac - in the number you gave does that include your IAABO dues????
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Constitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In our little corner of Connecticut our annual dues are $115.00. In addition to that we also pay 7% of our season's gross earnings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
In the number you gave does that include your IAABO dues????
Yes it does. It also includes our dues to belong to the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletics Association Officials Association. It does not include a supplemental insurance policy that most of us individually purchase at an annual cost of approximately $9.00.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

24/7 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
The word on the street that the guy who is the assigner for IAABO #12 makes in excess of $80,000.
Our local assigner earned $26,775.00 last season. He assigns about 300 officials to work at about 70 high schools. He earns every penny. Although not a requirement in his job description, he's out on the road observing officials almost every night of the season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance "TJ" View Post
In CO, the state wide dues are $75 or $95 if late. They will go up to $85/$105 (late) next year. We have association dues as well, I can't remember what they are at the moment though.
My local association dues are $35 ($45 if late). This will vary by area, obviously, so yours may be different. So, combined, my area pays $110 per year in dues.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

In Mass., each IAABO board sets its own dues. My dues are $85, which includes MIAA registration ($6), IAABO national dues (whatever they are) and a season-ending banquet.

There are no assignor fees, but since assignors started using Arbiter, I have to pay $5-$8 to each assignor for the Arbiter.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
In Mass., each IAABO board sets its own dues. My dues are $85, which includes MIAA registration ($6), IAABO national dues (whatever they are) and a season-ending banquet.

There are no assignor fees, but since assignors started using Arbiter, I have to pay $5-$8 to each assignor for the Arbiter.
Assigners here pay $2 for Arbiter.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I object to the assigning fee coming out of my pocket. It should be a payment from the schools to the assigner for his service to furnish officials. It's usually 10%.

If a guy pays the fee and works one game, he's in the hole. If another works 50 games, he got a heckuva deal.

And most assignors eat the Arbiter fee as a business expense.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 04:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Whether you pay it to your assigner or it gets paid by the school doesn't really matter in the end. Either way, a portion of the schools negotiated check is going to your assigner.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
I object to the assigning fee coming out of my pocket. It should be a payment from the schools to the assigner for his service to furnish officials. It's usually 10%.

If a guy pays the fee and works one game, he's in the hole. If another works 50 games, he got a heckuva deal.

If I'm an assignor, I really do not want a guy who is going to work one game. Too much overhead to deal with for that.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Whether you pay it to your assigner or it gets paid by the school doesn't really matter in the end. Either way, a portion of the schools negotiated check is going to your assigner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If I'm an assignor, I really do not want a guy who is going to work one game. Too much overhead to deal with for that.
We're talking about 2 different fees here.

There is an assignor's fee (8-10%) that comes out of our game fees that the schools have nothing to do with.

You also have a fee that schools pay up front to the commissioner/assignor to assign their games for the season. In our association's case, that fee is very small, somthing like $25/school. That's a fee that has no effect on the officials.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We're talking about 2 different fees here.

There is an assignor's fee (8-10%) that comes out of our game fees that the schools have nothing to do with.

You also have a fee that schools pay up front to the commissioner/assignor to assign their games for the season. In our association's case, that fee is very small, somthing like $25/school. That's a fee that has no effect on the officials.
I disagree. Both fees are negotiated, and it's the school's costs for the game. Whether they give it to you up front for you to pay the assigner or your directly to your assigner, the concept is the same.

Sort of like the payroll tax your employer pays to the government.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree. Both fees are negotiated, and it's the school's costs for the game. Whether they give it to you up front for you to pay the assigner or your directly to your assigner, the concept is the same.

Sort of like the payroll tax your employer pays to the government.
I disagree. The schools are agreeing to pay a set fee for each game. What the association does with that money is none of their concern. The 8-10% we pay the commissioner out of our game fee is what we pay for the commissioner to negioate and secure those contracts/games for us. Now, I think 8-10% is too high but I don't think the commissioner should be assigning me games for free. He is essentially acting as my agent.

The upfront fee the schools pay to the assignor/commissioner is what they pay for the scheduling service the assignor/commissioner provides. As I have stated, it a nominal fee. I'm assuming is bascially an administrative fee to cover cost of doing the paperwork.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I disagree. The schools are agreeing to pay a set fee for each game. What the association does with that money is none of their concern. The 8-10% we pay the commissioner out of our game fee is what we pay for the commissioner to negioate and secure those contracts/games for us. Now, I think 8-10% is too high but I don't think the commissioner should be assigning me games for free. He is essentially acting as my agent.

The upfront fee the schools pay to the assignor/commissioner is what they pay for the scheduling service the assignor/commissioner provides. As I have stated, it a nominal fee. I'm assuming is bascially an administrative fee to cover cost of doing the paperwork.
Some (my area) don't have the %; any fees get paid directly to the assigner. I think my old association was a flat rate of $3 per official, paid directly to the assigner by the school. I have no idea what my current assigner gets paid, largely because I really couldn't care less what other people make. It's all negotiated, and the school is going to look at the overall number. They don't care how it gets broken down.