The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Upon further review, ol' JR was full of shiznit....

Case Book Play 6.4.1 SITUATION D:
It is team B's turn for the next throw-in under the alternating-possession procedure. By mistake, team A is given the throw-in. Team A...releases the ball on the alternating-possession throw-in, but before the ball is legally touched in-bounds, Team A or team B commits a foul.
RULING The alternating-possession throw-in did not end when the foul occurred. Therefore, the alternating-possession mistake is corrected and the arrow now favors team B; penalize the foul appropriately. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 6-4-5)

Good question.
All this case play points out is the AP throw-in was never completed, so the arrow remains where it was, or should have been, which was pointing to B. If A commits a foul, B will have the resulting throw-in because of the foul. If B committed the foul, A would have the throw-in as a result of the penalty from the foul. The AP throw-in effectively never happened; it doesn't matter that A was the one that threw it in, B will still get the next AP throw-in.

I'm not sure how this applies to the original question. The foul was not canceled as a result of the correction. The throw-in itself was not "corrected", as the foul stands and any subsequent throw-in is a result of the foul. The only thing being "corrected" is to make sure the arrow remains with B, because the throw-in was never completed, and it will affect a future throw-in. In the original question, there's nothing more to correct, as that "generic" throw-in is over.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
In the original question, there's nothing more to correct, as that "generic" throw-in is over.

I agree. I wish 7-6-6 read "over" instead of "ends."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
What rules would we have applied to this situation before 7-6-6 was written? Or is it just the lack of rules for this situation that would have rendered our ruling? Prior to 7-6-6 what rule allowed us to stop play, ending the throw-in and award the ball to the correct team?
If someone can help me with these questions, I think I can get my brain unwrinkled about 7-6-6.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

An officer of our local official's association reported that he had exchanged e-mails with NFHS concerning 7-6-6. This is basically what he reported:

Sitch: Team A is erroneously awarded a throw-in. Team B fouls during the throw-in. Team A is in the double bonus.

NFHS Ruling: Team A shoots the double bonus with the lane cleared. Rectify the mistake.

In rectifying the mistake, would we award the (rectified) throw-in at the original spot as in 4-36-2(b) or would we award the throw-in as in 7-5? Same question if team A was not in the bonus. Award the (rectified) throw-in at the original spot or spot throw-in as in 7-5-4(a)?

Last edited by Scratch85; Tue Oct 19, 2010 at 01:43pm. Reason: clarified local association
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An officer of our association reported that he had exchanged e-mails with NFHS concerning 7-6-6. This is basically what he reported:

Sitch: Team A is erroneously awarded a throw-in. Team B fouls during the throw-in. Team A is in the double bonus.

NFHS Ruling: Team A shoots the double bonus with the lane cleared. Rectify the mistake.

In rectifying the mistake, would we award the (rectified) throw-in at the original spot as in 4-36-2(b) or would we award the throw-in as in 7-5? Same question if team A was not in the bonus. Award the (rectified) throw-in at the original spot or spot throw-in as in 7-5-4(a)?
I would love to see this ruling come out in a memo. hmmm

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An officer of our local official's association reported that he had exchanged e-mails with NFHS concerning 7-6-6. This is basically what he reported:

I'd like to see that in writing! Sounds like a CE.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Otherwise known as NFHS case book play 6.4.1SitD(b), as cited above....

The applicable rule is NFHS rule 4-36-2(b). You had a foul occur before an AP throw-in ended. Penalize the foul and then resume play at the original AP throw-in spot, but correct the AP mistake and give the AP throw-in to team B.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'd like to see that in writing!
If you want to see it in writing, read NFHS case book play 6.4.1SitD(b) and rule 4-36-2(b). Collectively they cover the situation.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If you want to see it in writing, read NFHS case book play 6.4.1SitD(b) and rule 4-36-2(b). Collectively they cover the situation.
Yup, just read it! On one hand its good to know, on the other hand just dont give the wrong team the ball!