The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Yes yes, but is it a DUNK?!?! Ground bound hoopsters the world around are dying to know!!
Are you serious?

If so, what part of "Judgment call. Any doubt, don't call it. Simply dropping the ball down has never been a 'T'" is confusing you?
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Are you serious?

If so, what part of "Judgment call. Any doubt, don't call it. Simply dropping the ball down has never been a 'T'" is confusing you?
You are just avoiding the question because you don't know the answer!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You are just avoiding the question because you don't know the answer!
Well, I realize that you don't see many dunks in those D3 womens games that you do. And I also realize that good boys high school varsity teams plays in the air a heckuva lot more than those womens teams also. But if you didn't know that dropping the ball down at any level isn't a dunk, or what comprises a "dunk", then I suggest you talk to some people in your area that can explain to you exactly what a "dunk" is and what to look for.

Good luck.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Not sure what a dunk is? Try Define Dunk
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I realize that you don't see many dunks in those D3 womens games that you do. And I also realize that good boys high school varsity teams plays in the air a heckuva lot more than those womens teams also. But if you didn't know that dropping the ball down at any level isn't a dunk, or what comprises a "dunk", then I suggest you talk to some people in your area that can explain to you exactly what a "dunk" is and what to look for.

Good luck.
I know what MY definition of a dunk is, I was just soliciting opinions from others what OTHERS definition of a dunk is. There is not one playground, open gym or pick up game where they would say a "finger roll dunk" is actually a dunk!!! (Much to the disappointment of the leaping challenged) Let alone just touching the rim!
Obviously the irony escaped you. I would have thought the 'ground bound' players line would have been a tell, but this is what you get when you can't use blue font!!
Since you have no idea WHAT level of women's basketball, let alone HS I work, , I can only assume you were not disparaging women's basketball. Knowing what a stickler for strict rules interpretation you are, I think it is safe to say you would not want to run "afoul" of Title IX legislation and would be equally disparaging of Men's D3 basketball player!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"It depends on what the meaning of the word dunk is." ...

Quote:
But is it a dunk?!?! Ground bound hoopsters the world around are dying to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
Players know what a dunk is, we know what a dunk is. Common sense stuff.
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description "dunk"; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the dunk involved in this case is not that."

Apologies to Justice Potter Stewart and William Jefferson Clinton.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description "dunk"; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the dunk involved in this case is not that."

Apologies to Justice Potter Stewart and William Jefferson Clinton.
We have a winner!!
I thought you were going with: I won't comment on something I have no experience in!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 07:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Since you have no idea WHAT level of women's basketball, let alone HS I work, , I can only assume you were not disparaging women's basketball.
Nope, I'd never disparage womens basketball. You? Different story. Nowayinhell you're doing high level anything with some of the nonsense you come up with.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, I'd never disparage womens basketball. You? Different story. Nowayinhell you're doing high level anything with some of the nonsense you come up with.
Now that is suprising... I would have thought you knew your way around Hell better than that!
Old Sat Sep 25, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
I'm with you on this. PLAYERS know what a dunk is, WE know what a dunk is, so long as the dunk is not a "rim rocker" then I would not take notice. Common sense stuff imo
Not trying to be a jerk here, just wondering ...

What happens if you get a rim rocker during warm ups, properly penalize it, and the "offending" coach says to you, "What about the dunk THEY made 2 minutes ago? Why didn't they get a T?", referring to a non-rim rocker at the other end? Do you just not consider it a dunk unless it is a rim rocker? Or do you have a tool in your bag of useful responses to address letting a soft one go while penalizing the rim rockers?
Old Sat Sep 25, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What I will do is not come out looking for such things either. If we see it we call it.
This is my preferred approach. This is a situation where I will not go looking for trouble, though trouble occasionally insists on being found.
Quote:
Most of the time I have to tell kids to stay off the rim because they are close instead of having to call something at all.
Again, I'm on board here. If I can talk a kid out of doing something dumb, I will try. Usually a, "Please don't make me decide if you are dunking" puts an end to anything iffy.
Quote:
I am just trying to start the game with a jump ball, not penalize a kid for something iffy.
Though some might consider this attitude some flavor of looking for a way to not take care of business, my understanding of the purpose of the no pre-game dunk rule is to prevent damage to equipment or injury to players. As long as neither of those is an issue, I will attempt to curtail iffy behavior rather than penalize it.

That is only for iffy behavior; if it's obvious it gets the call.
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here, just wondering ...

What happens if you get a rim rocker during warm ups, properly penalize it, and the "offending" coach says to you, "What about the dunk THEY made 2 minutes ago? Why didn't they get a T?", referring to a non-rim rocker at the other end? Do you just not consider it a dunk unless it is a rim rocker? Or do you have a tool in your bag of useful responses to address letting a soft one go while penalizing the rim rockers?

Im not going to pick and choose dunks to penalize before the game. Its not that difficult to understand, if a player dunks in the warm-up its a tech. No matter which team does it.

If handled properly there will be no questions asked (unlike your scenario )
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
For the girls, NY uses NCAA rules (with modifications) and its own 2-person version of NCAA mechanics. See

http://nysgboa.com/pdf/NYSGBOA_TwoPersonMechanics.pdf

For the boys, I believe that NY uses NF rules and mechanics, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

I will attempt to curtail iffy behavior rather than penalize it.

That is only for iffy behavior; if it's obvious it gets the call.

This is exactly how i view it
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 08:06am
Administrator

OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA use NFHS Mechanics. And when I officiate games using NFHS Rules I use NFHS Mechanics. That said there are one or two NCAA mechanics that I use in an NFHS game; the one that comes to mind is where the L stands for the first of two and the first two of three free throws, I use the long time Women's mechanic of being next to and just behind the player in the first block.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio