The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics you use (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59132-mechanics-you-use.html)

JRutledge Wed Sep 22, 2010 09:54am

Mechanics you use

Basic question. What mechanics does your states use? Do you use NF mechanics or some other variation (like NCAA)?

Peace

rockyroad Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01am

WA State uses NF mechanics. It is a very strong emphasis at the State tournaments that only NF mechanics are to be used, and officials are evaluated down if they use non-NF mechanics.

Judtech Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35am

Joey, down the road at Precision Auto does a great job. He used to work at the dealership but now owns his shop. Great work.
:D

dsqrddgd909 Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07am

KS, MI, MO use NFHS mechanics and it's a point of emphasis in the pre-season meetings.

ref2coach Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12am

TN uses NFHS mechanics and it's a point of emphasis in the pre-season meetings.

Welpe Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13am

NFHS with some state variations.

grunewar Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:22am

VA = NFHS Rules.

One thing I personally am dissappointed in this year is the "Online State Rules Clinic."

We have a mandatory rules clinic annually that we must attend to be certified, where we discuss the previous yr, this yr's POE's and rule changes, have a Q&A, etc.

While the clinic was informitive and nice, for me it was a good excuse to get together "one time a year" with a great many fellow officials from my and other Associations, to BS and catch up, as well as buy my annual gear from the local Officials Choice guy. It was a hassle for many though as there weren't that many clinics and it's a pretty big state.

Alas, in VA, as is the Exam now, this has gone electronic and now we just logon and watch some slides......ho hum. :(

Mark Padgett Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 693351)
NFHS with some state variations.

Just curious - what are the variations and do you know the reasoning behind using them? Thanks.

JRutledge Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:30am

I will answer too

The IHSA does not use the NF Manual at all. The book is never sent out and we have not received one in any sport in probably 4 or 5 years now. That being said we do use many of the "mechanics" the NF uses, but there are many little differences we have been told are not an option or we must do. For example we do not have the option to hand the ball to the thrower on the end line, where as I believe that is an option in the NF mechanics. We also can only hand the ball to the thrower on the sideline when there is no pressure. We have a lot of little things that make no difference we do not use. And when the NF changes something we may not adopt it at all, but that does not mean they do not look overall like the NF mechanics.

This is not just in basketball, this is in all sports. I know in football and baseball you would be wasting your time if you tried to use the NF mechanics at all as there are several philosophical differences and positioning differences.

We have a new person over the official's department and this might change in the future, but based on what I know so far that is not the case. I was curious and still curious as to what others do as this constantly comes up here in conversation.

Peace

Judtech Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 693354)
VA = NFHS Rules.

One thing I personally am dissappointed in this year is the "Online State Rules Clinic."

We have a mandatory rules clinic annually that we must attend to be certified, where we discuss the previous yr, this yr's POE's and rule changes, have a Q&A, etc.

While the clinic was informitive and nice, for me it was a good excuse to get together "one time a year" with a great many fellow officials from my and other Associations, to BS and catch up, as well as buy my annual gear from the local Officials Choice guy. It was a hassle for many though as there weren't that many clinics and it's a pretty big state.

Alas, in VA, as is the Exam now, this has gone electronic and now we just logon and watch some slides......ho hum. :(

Really? I like it being online. How many times do I have to hear JS go over the dimensions of what legal piping is on a uniform!! Plus, we have our local organizational meetings so we all get together then. Now if we held the meetings at a nice resort in VB or Williamsburg, made it a weekend with golfing etc, THEN I would miss it!!

Welpe Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34am

Mark-

For two person mechanics, off of the top of my head:

* Officials switch on a foul only when the lead calls a shooting foul. The calling official goes table side (this was done here before NFHS adopted it).

* Positioning of officials on timeouts. We use the old method where officials stand at the top of the three point arc for 30 second timeouts and on the block for full time outs.

* A recommended mechanic here during pre-game is to blow the whistle when the officials enter the gym in order to prevent any shenanigans during warm ups.

I don't think there are any other differences. Hopefully another Texan can fill in anything I missed.

As far as to why, I'm sure there are some reasons but I haven't been told anything. Texas likes to do things differently. :D

BBrules Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24pm

08-09 Texas exceptions

These are the exceptions from 08-09. I don't know about newer ones or what may have resulted after the UIL/TASO bug-tussle:

2008-09 TASO-BASKETBALL EXCEPTIONS TO NATIONAL FEDERATION MECHANICS

• SIX-FOOT COACHING BOX CENTERED ON EITHER THE FIRST OR SECOND SEAT NEAREST THE DIVISION LINE

• FOUL REPORTING AREA: CLEAR PLAYERS AND USE THREE POINT LINE AS A GUIDE (2 & 3 PERSON MECHANICS)

• LEAD WILL ADMINISTER SIDELINE THROW-INS BELOW THE FREE THROW LINE EXTENDED (2-PERSON MECHANICS)

• SWITCH ONLY ON SHOOTING FOULS AND CALLING OFFICIAL WILL STAY TABLE SIDE (2-PERSON MECHANICS)

• THREE-PERSON MECHANICS

LEAD MAY MOVE ALONG ENDLINE TO MAINTAIN BETTER COVERAGE IF GAME CLOCK IS UNDER 30 SECONDS IN EITHER HALF OR OVERTIME. THIS MOVEMENT BY LEAD DOES NOT INITIATE A ROTATION.

JRutledge Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 693384)

• LEAD WILL ADMINISTER SIDELINE THROW-INS BELOW THE FREE THROW LINE EXTENDED (2-PERSON MECHANICS)

I believe the NF has been doing this for some time. Do not get my lying when this was changed, but before 08-09 I am almost sure of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 693384)
• SWITCH ONLY ON SHOOTING FOULS AND CALLING OFFICIAL WILL STAY TABLE SIDE (2-PERSON MECHANICS)

That was a NF change last year. We do this as well.

Peace

wanja Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43pm

New Jersey uses IAABO adnd Pennsylvania uses NF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 693358)
That being said we do use many of the "mechanics" the NF uses, but there are many little differences

How do IHSA officials keep track of the current set of approved mechanics? For example, for a new official is there a written reference? If so, I'd like to take a look.

JRutledge Wed Sep 22, 2010 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 693391)
New Jersey uses IAABO adnd Pennsylvania uses NF.

How do IHSA officials keep track of the current set of approved mechanics? For example, for a new official is there a written reference? If so, I'd like to take a look.

It is online. They have access to the information on their personal web pages as does every other licensed official. The same stuff the clinicians have access to teach. But like I have said before everything is not in a book. Many officials do all kinds of things that were never stated in the book in the first place. So young officials do what they always do, listen to those that are teaching and have been around the block.

Peace