The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Never seen so many people, in one place at one time with such a lack of reading comprehension skills. And to think some of you are decision makers
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref
3. Im AT the table & see a sub there... no reason to let the coach know its the 5th. Thats why the sub is there!! Asking if the sub is for the player w/ 5 makes more sense to me.
I asked why you feel it's not necessary to tell a coach it's a player's 5th foul, and you ask us about our comprehension skills?

Telling the coach about a player's 5th foul is not a courtesy, or something that should be avoided if it looks like the coach is about ready to look at you cross-eyed or say something to you. It's a requirement that has implications in the game.

Whenever I hear an official talk about using "common sense", more often than not they're talking about doing something their way, rather than following the rules, because somehow their way seems easier. And it's so easy to say "I don't want to be one of those officials.", like knowing and following the rules is somehow a bad thing. But, more often than not, the official that uses that line is one that doesn't really know the rules, and they're simply making things up as they go along.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
ie: "Is the sub for 11, he has 5."

Does that not fulfill our responsiblities??

Never seen so many people, in one place at one time with such a lack of reading comprehension skills. And to think some of you are decision makers
No, it sureashell does NOT fulfill our responsibility. Our responsibility is to notify the coach, NOT to make a remark at the table. That is the rule and the prescribed mechanic.

It's you that seems to lack reading comprehension skills. All you have to do is read the freaking rule and then follow it.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wow unFREAKINbelievable! Yeah, those 2 ^ ^
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree, that statement is obviously directed towards the coach or it doesn't make any sense.
The table just told you it's five, so why would you tell the table the same thing? Personally, I normally ask the same question tref does here. You're fulfilling the responsibility while letting the coach know that you're paying attention. At the same time, coaches don't typically get snippy if I do it the other way; they just point to their sub and we move on.
If I'm misreading the above, I apologize...but.....

It doesn't matter at all if the statement was obviously directed at the head coach. What matters is that the rules and mechanics state that you go to the head coach and inform him that his player just committed his fifth foul. If you don't do that, you haven't fulfilled your responsibility; you've completely ignored it. You sureashell are NOT fulfilling your responsibility in any way, shape or form by asking a question at the scorers table. The head coach is not supposed to be anywhere near the scorers table. That's a rule also.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jul 30, 2010 at 04:32pm.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

OMG dont backpedal NOW!
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Only the cowardly wants their partner to finish their business
That's one of the stupidest comments I have read on this board in a long time. So you are a "people person" but can't figure out that switching places is a valid way to calm a volatile situation? That's not much of a "people person". That's more of an "it's all about me person".

And the "Is the sub for 11, he has 5" statement is neither the proper way to handle the situation nor a very good way to communicate. A possible scenario:

tref: "Is the sub for #11, he has 5?"

coach: "What? That kid hasn't even been in the game yet?"

tref: "No, no, no, Coach. Number 11 has 5 fouls and I was wondering if the sub was coming in for number 11."

Coach: "Why didn't you just say that number 11 had five fouls! That's pretty much par for the course with the way you have been calling this game tonight."

Great game management there.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1. I report the foul to the table

2. They inform me that its the 5th.

3. Im AT the table & see a sub there... no reason to let the coach know its the 5th. Thats why the sub is there!! Asking if the sub is for the player w/ 5 makes more sense to me.
Just to make sure that you don't backpedal....

You're advocating above for officials to ignore a very plainly written rule and prescribed mechanic. And you can't see anything the matter with that either.

That just about says it all imo about your officiating "sense".....
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But We Know That The French Judge Has Cheated Before ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The rest of this whole thread is just arguing over style points.
The French judge gave me a seven.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The French judge gave me a seven.
I call BS - don't they use metric?

Never thought your question would go 5 pages or more, did 'ya?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's one of the stupidest comments I have read on this board in a long time. So you are a "people person" but can't figure out that switching places is a valid way to calm a volatile situation? That's not much of a "people person". That's more of an "it's all about me person".
Once again, WE DONT DO THAT HERE on 5th fouls! Handle your own business!! In the OP there was nothing volatile going on...
I dont have to try to outshine my partners, I illuminate naturally. Thats why I clocked in & got instant gratification. No 10+ years to get the big one over here. So get yours because I'm getting mine

Quote:
And the "Is the sub for 11, he has 5" statement is neither the proper way to handle the situation nor a very good way to communicate. A possible scenario:

tref: "Is the sub for #11, he has 5?"

coach: "What? That kid hasn't even been in the game yet?"

tref: "No, no, no, Coach. Number 11 has 5 fouls and I was wondering if the sub was coming in for number 11."

Coach: "Why didn't you just say that number 11 had five fouls! That's pretty much par for the course with the way you have been calling this game tonight."

Great game management there.
When I say that & it's rare that I call 5th fouls, but when I do my body language communicates to the HC exactly who I'm talking about.

Greatly appreciate your negative scenario! Thanks for playing! Now as you were
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again, WE DONT DO THAT HERE on 5th fouls! Handle your own business!! In the OP there was nothing volatile going on...
I dont have to try to outshine my partners, I illuminate naturally. Thats why I clocked in & got instant gratification. No 10+ years to get the big one over here. So get yours because I'm getting mine

When I say that & it's rare that I call 5th fouls, but when I do my body language communicates to the HC exactly who I'm talking about.

Greatly appreciate your negative scenario! Thanks for playing! Now as you were
So, let me get this straight - the reason you do it your way is because you "illuminate naturally", you clock in and get instant gratification, you're getting yours, and you do this all by communicating through body language?

Oh, ok.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
We are so close to that Southern California reference I mentioned in another thread, I can almost taste it.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
So, let me get this straight - the reason you do it your way is because you "illuminate naturally", you clock in and get instant gratification, you're getting yours, and you do this all by communicating through body language?

Oh, ok.
Nah, the reason I do it THAT way (not MY way) is because our 3 big dogs do it that way & it works for me as well! I prefer to copy people at a level I desire to work at vs. people stuck at a level I'm already at.
So basically, if you're not the bank teller... dont tell me nothing!
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nah, the reason I do it THAT way (not MY way) is because our 3 big dogs do it that way & it works for me as well! I prefer to copy people at a level I desire to work at vs. people stuck at a level I'm already at.
So basically, if you're not the bank teller... dont tell me nothing!
Tref,you're not even close to the levels that M&M and rockyroad have already worked. And from your posting history, I doubt very much that you ever will get to those levels. When you've done a college Final Four(as one of the guys that you just dumped on has), feel free then to come back and talk down to everybody here.

It's a waste of time telling you anything.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Tref,you're not even close to the levels that M&M and rockyroad have already worked. And from your posting history, I doubt very much that you ever will get to those levels. When you've done a college Final Four(as one of the guys that you just dumped on has), feel free then to come back and talk down to everybody here.

It's a waste of time telling you anything.
1. Gracias!

2. I've NEVER dumped on anyone unless they dumped 1st.

3. Billy understood what I was saying loooong ago, but you & your illiterate computer goons came after me for expressing MY thoughts. Am I not to defend my position? (rhetorical question).

4. Of course it's a waste, for YOU arent the bank teller!