The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 09:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I don't know if it's worthy of a 'T' is all I'm saying. It's easy enough to ignore for me. It's just white noise. I suppose if every single shot someone was yelling it, I might have a chat with that kid, but that's an extreme example.
Right, and it's the extreme example you tend to see in summer ball or middle school ball, when johnny thinks he's Kobe Bryant or Ray Allen.

And I've never had to T for it, but I have made it clear that he/she needs to cut it out.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
"You two are the worst two officials I've ever seen."
"That's impossible, coach. Do you know what the odds are of having the worst officials and the worst coach in the same game?"
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"That's impossible, coach. Do you know what the odds are of having the worst officials and the worst coach in the same game?"
LOL....I love that!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:54am
Esteemed Participant

Was working as an evaluator at a camp this past weekend. Had a younger official (22 I think) who was explaining a situation to a coach who had been "on the edge" all game. Official was using his hands to demonstrate whatever it was he saw, and the coach is looking at the official's hands when he says:

"Nice fingernails, Princess."

Young official calmly steps away, blows his whistle and signals a T. Never lost his composure, did not get mad - just simply turned and very calmly signals the T. I was quite impressed with his self-restraint.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?
I hate that AND 1 crap...basically I am just throwing out an idle threat...not really going to whack him. It did the trick!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if it's worthy of a 'T' is all I'm saying. It's easy enough to ignore for me. It's just white noise. I suppose if every single shot someone was yelling it, I might have a chat with that kid, but that's an extreme example.
It also depends on the tone of voice that is used during the "AND 1" statement! At times it borders on unsporting behavior.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I hate that AND 1 crap...basically I am just throwing out an idle threat...not really going to whack him. It did the trick!
There was an official around here named Jeff (unfortunately, he passed away a while back) who, the first time a coach or player would say "And 1", would reply loudly "Don't give me any of that 'And 1' crap". As far as I know, it always worked.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?
Had one last night where A1 drives to the basket, B1 blocks the shot, no contact whatsoever, but as B2 recovers the ball and they head the other way, A1 turns to me and says, "You gotta call something!!" WHACK! Team A coach says, "How can you T him up for that, that was the first thing he has said all game?" This made me smile on the inside.

Point being, I put up with zero comments like this from players during summer ball. Just because their HS coach isn't there is no excuse for them to act disrespectful. I may not have T'd him if there was some contact that I deemed incidental, or if it wasn't specifically directed at me and said a little more quietly. As with the "And 1" stuff, you just cannot ignore it. Say something to nip it, or take care of it.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
As with the "And 1" stuff, you just cannot ignore it.
I can and I do. I've never had it get to the point where I had to say anything. Shrug.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can and I do. I've never had it get to the point where I had to say anything. Shrug.
same here...it's really no big deal
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:28pm
Back from the DL

Sometimes, what you ignore comes across as what you condone.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Every official sets their own personal limits as to what they will take and let go. As with everything else we do, the key is to be consistent. If the players and coaches know what they can do or not do during a game, they have no valid complaints at all if they get nailed for crossing an official's line. It's up to the coaches and player to adjust to the individual official's standards when it comes to sportsmanship-related situations, not vice-versa.

And there's different ways to control a game also while getting the same result. If the journey ends well, who cares how you got there. I was always on the hard-azz side of the spectrum but if someone at the other end still had the game under control and being played fairly with minimal displays of boolsh!t, who can say for sure that my way was really better?

JMO.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
who can say for sure that my way was really better?
I don't even know who you are anymore.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Every official sets their own personal limits as to what they will take and let go.
Which is why, before a game when a coach asks, "How are you?", my answer is always "Cranky". Gives them a heads up.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't even know who you are anymore.
Why?

I'm not talking about the no-brainer(to me) "T"s like swearing, throwing the ball away, bouncing it up to the rafters, Italian salutes, pulling a jersey over a face, putting on an elaborate show, etc. With those, you better take care of bidness. I'm talking about the annoying little crap like what's being discussed in this particular thread. There's a heckuva difference there imo.