The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Summer Ball - all this fun and I get paid too? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58520-summer-ball-all-fun-i-get-paid-too.html)

dsqrddgd909 Wed Jun 30, 2010 06:16pm

Summer Ball - all this fun and I get paid too?

Three games today. Boys JV.

Heard these old chestnuts from the coaches:

1. "Call it both ways"

2. "Are you going to blow the whistle on the other end?"

3. "Three seconds" (repeated about 60 times)

4. "That call was garbage as were all the others you've made" (Tweet!) after I tried to answer "why wasn't a foul called?" - my answer "incidental contact."

5. "And One" - (repeated about 30 times)

6. "You two are the worst two officials I've ever seen." Partner T'd the coach.

Welpe Wed Jun 30, 2010 06:32pm

Were they counting along with you on all of the "obviously missed" three second violations?

Adam Wed Jun 30, 2010 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 684048)
Three games today. Boys JV.

Heard these old chestnuts from the coaches:

1. "Call it both ways"

2. "Are you going to blow the whistle on the other end?"

3. "Three seconds" (repeated about 60 times)

4. "That call was garbage as were all the others you've made" (Tweet!) after I tried to answer "why wasn't a foul called?" - my answer "incidental contact."

5. "And One" - (repeated about 30 times)

6. "You two are the worst two officials I've ever seen." Partner T'd the coach.

Summer ball:
1. Coach gets one or two of these that I hear. After that, it stops.
2. See #1.
3. See #1.
4. T, regardless of previous warnings.
5. See #1.
6. Good T.

Camron Rust Wed Jun 30, 2010 07:59pm

Had a pair of games last night where, in the JV game, there was a player on one team setting what could be described as a very ugly screen. I saw it at least a half a dozen times and perhaps closer to dozen. It was the same every time.

If I happened to be close to the table, I could hear the assistant coach state in a rather soft voice "illegal screen". Way too soft to be a problem and they're a good coaching staff that never causes trouble anyway.

The screen went like this...
  1. A1 dribbling out top.
  2. A4 would run up and set a screen on the left side of B1 who was more or less stationary (such that it would have probably been a foul if A1 had brought his defender into him at that moment)
  3. All about the same time
    1. The dribbler would then start a drive
    2. B1 would step back to go around the screen
    3. A1 would cut toward the right side of B1 :confused: (the side where B1 would not be affected by the screen at all)
    4. The screener would roll to the left away from the play:confused::confused::confused: opening up B1 to freely move any direction
  4. B1 would continue to guard A1 as he wished without ever contacting A4.
I couldn't figure out exactly what they were trying to accomplish because the screen was entirely useless.

At a timeout, I went by the assistant and told him that I see them too....a lot of them and they were indeeded moving as he observed but there was absolutely no contact the way the players were moving and without contact there was nothing I could call. I told him that if there was contact on such a screen that bumped his defender off the dribbler, I'd be happy to make the call.

About 2 minutes later, bang...we had the same play except, after a dozen or so times, the dribber eventually went left. The defender was led into the screener as the screener was still coming in....obvious bump as the defender tried to stay with his man. Tweet....smile at he bench....and that one had the contact necessary for a foul.

Nevadaref Wed Jun 30, 2010 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 684057)
A4 would run up and set a screen on the left side of B1 who was more or less stationary (such that it would have probably been a foul if A1 had brought his defender into him at that moment)

Please clarify this.
From this description, it seems that B1 is a stationary defender requiring no time or distance for a screen from the side, NOT from the back.
If the screener comes to a stop prior to the contact, I don't understand why you state that this would be a foul according to the rules.

bainsey Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 684051)
Summer ball:
1. Coach gets one or two of these that I hear. After that, it stops.

+1

It amazes me that some people think they can give any official an order.

Camron Rust Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 684057)
(such that it would have probably been a foul if A1 had brought his defender into him at that moment)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 684058)
Please clarify this.
From this description, it seems that B1 is a stationary defender requiring no time or distance for a screen from the side, NOT from the back.
If the screener comes to a stop prior to the contact, I don't understand why you state that this would be a foul according to the rules.

As it was, B1 was stationary and no time/distance was required but the statement had an "if". If A1 had, instead, moved to the left it would have probably caused B1 to move left. A4 was not yet stationary (was moving toward B1), B1 would have run into him, and the screen would have been illegal.

Nevadaref Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 684078)
As it was, B1 was stationary and no time/distance was required but the statement had an "if". If A1 had, instead, moved to the left it would have probably caused B1 to move left. A4 was not yet stationary (was moving toward B1), B1 would have ran into him, and the screen would have been illegal.

I see. A classic case of failing to wait for the screener to reach his position.

Note: Visit from the Grammar Police. I just couldn't fend them off. ;)

GoodwillRef Thu Jul 01, 2010 05:42am

How I love when they say And 1, I had that twice last night. I told the kid next time I hear him say it, it will be an And 1...count the basket and we will have a technical on him. It got really quiet!

Smitty Thu Jul 01, 2010 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 684093)
How I love when they say And 1, I had that twice last night. I told the kid next time I hear him say it, it will be an And 1...count the basket and we will have a technical on him. It got really quiet!

Why?

Adam Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 684103)
Why?

attempting to influence an official's decision? I don't put up with "and one" from players either.

Smitty Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:33am

Really? That's a stretch. Is it really 'T' worthy?

Adam Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 684133)
Really? That's a stretch. Is it really 'T' worthy?

What else do you think they're doing? They're trying to get you to call the foul. It's the same as players making the traveling signal. I'll ignore it a few times, depending whether they're looking at me when they do it. I usually don't see it often enough in one game to worry about it, but I'm not going to put up with it any longer than a coach's "three seconds" pleas.

DLH17 Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 684131)
attempting to influence an official's decision? I don't put up with "and one" from players either.

Should players get Teed up for pointing in their direction on OOB violations that are bang bang ?

Smitty Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:47am

I don't know if it's worthy of a 'T' is all I'm saying. It's easy enough to ignore for me. It's just white noise. I suppose if every single shot someone was yelling it, I might have a chat with that kid, but that's an extreme example.