The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Stupidity = Worst Win ever

Freshman Summer League

Team A up three with ball out of bounds. 8 Seconds left.

Team B makes 5 subs. (Defense for Offense presumably as coach is screaming that they need a 5 second call or a jump ball.)

Ball is entered to A2. B2 goes to grab the ball, A2 pivots away. B2 two hands A2 out of bounds into the bleachers.

Partner blows unsportsmanlike on B2.

A2 sits up and fires ball drilling B2 in the back.

I call tech on A2 and we both step between the players sending them to their benches while we sort out the fouls.

As they are walking off Coach A runs out and gets in the face of B2 calling him dirty and saying he should be ashamed of himself and thrown off his team. We get coach A back to his bench and tech him as well. He loses it when we tech him and calls us cheaters and homers. Tech 2, Ejection.

Sub for A2 (A6) now gets 2 free throws. (Tech was A2's fifth foul.) Misses both.

B1 as chosen by the coach gets to shoot 6 free throws going 6 for 6.

B team gets to inbound the ball. Confused A team lets the clock expire losing by 3.

Thoughts? Comments? Did we get it all right???

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I see you're in our neighbor to the north. What rule set were you using?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:38pm
Back from the DL

What you call "unsportsmanlike," Panther, is what we call "intentional" on this side of the St. Croix. Other than that, the penalties all line up exactly.

Nice job. Some story, though! In which town was this?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I would have deemed both the foul by B2 as well as the retaliation by A2 flagrant and disqualified them from the game for their actions.

Putting someone into the bleachers is more than an intentional foul.

Other than that I think that your were fine.

PS I would certainly give some thought to having the first T to the HC be flagrant. People can discuss that.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Rule Set: FIBA

Probably could have justified both A2 and B2 ejections. Although anyone going out of bounds on the side of the court ends up in the bleachers because of court layout. Partner didn't call eject him so I didn't question, A2's tech was his 5th foul disqaulifying him anyway so an ejection is moot.

(We have a proviso stating players under the age of 18 when ejected must remain on the bench unless a coach is available to supervise them in the locker room. So ejection or 5th foul he's staying on the bench anyway.)

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 07:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Rule Set: FIBA

Probably could have justified both A2 and B2 ejections. Although anyone going out of bounds on the side of the court ends up in the bleachers because of court layout. Partner didn't call eject him so I didn't question, A2's tech was his 5th foul disqaulifying him anyway so an ejection is moot.

(We have a proviso stating players under the age of 18 when ejected must remain on the bench unless a coach is available to supervise them in the locker room. So ejection or 5th foul he's staying on the bench anyway.)
Oh, I don't know. I can't comment on whether he deserved ejection or not, but I wouldn't say it's moot. Often times, leagues have penalties extending into future games for ejections, but not for "fouling out." Your player merely fouled out. Here in CO, for example, during the regular high school season, an ejection means a one game suspension.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would have deemed both the foul by B2 as well as the retaliation by A2 flagrant and disqualified them from the game for their actions.

Putting someone into the bleachers is more than an intentional foul.

Other than that I think that your were fine.

PS I would certainly give some thought to having the first T to the HC be flagrant. People can discuss that.
Disagree. Often it's more than intentional, and perhaps in this case, but if the pushee is off balance and a good bump puts him in the first row, that's a garden variety foul, IMO.

Agree. IMO there's no doubt on this one: coach berating opposing player? C'mon.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Wow..Good one. Very dramatic. I'll throw one in the hat for Worst
Private School boys conference semi'. HOME scores to go up 4 with about 3 seconds left, V calls TO. As players come back onto floor H sets up press, I let V know they can run the baseline and even make a nice signal, and tell H not to break the plane. Sure enough, V takes off on the baseline, H jumps over the line, then grabs the ball out of V's hand jumps up and down and yells "White Ball White Ball, he traveled". And as the story plays out V made both T's, then hit a tough 3 pt jumper to win it. I have known the H coach for years and we talked the next day and had a good laugh about it. He said he had told that player the same thing about reaching over and even heard ME tell him. The only thing I DIDN'T like was he didn't pick up the lunch tab!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 11:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Private School boys conference semi'. HOME scores to go up 4 with about 3 seconds left, V calls TO. As players come back onto floor H sets up press, I let V know they can run the baseline and even make a nice signal, and tell H not to break the plane. Sure enough, V takes off on the baseline, H jumps over the line, then grabs the ball out of V's hand jumps up and down and yells "White Ball White Ball, he traveled". And as the story plays out V made both T's, then hit a tough 3 pt jumper to win it. I have known the H coach for years and we talked the next day and had a good laugh about it. He said he had told that player the same thing about reaching over and even heard ME tell him. The only thing I DIDN'T like was he didn't pick up the lunch tab!
What was the second "T" for?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Going back to the original post and FIBA Rules, see rule 42.1 & 42.2.

Unsporting foul B2= 2FT and possession
T on A2 = 2FT and possession
T on Coach = 2FT and possession

The way I see it is like penalties cancel for unsporting and T on A2... Shoot 4 FT... Ball to B at Division Line.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 02:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRef View Post

1. Unsporting foul B2= 2FT and possession
2. T on A2 = 2FT and possession
3. T on Coach = 2FT and possession
4. T on Coach = 2FT and possession

The way I see it is like penalties cancel for unsporting and T on A2... Shoot 4 FT... Ball to B at Division Line.
Since your speaking the metric tongue, I assume you're talking about metric rules, under which Panther is officiating. I forget if #1 and #2 above can "offset" or not, though.

In NFHS rules, they would not.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think I can beat the dumb loss award... but I have to go to another sport to do so.

High School-aged timed tourney softball game. Champ game of the losers bracket ... winner will stay and have to win 2. Home team ahead 4-3, bottom of the 6th, a few minutes left. 1-2-3 inning might put us into the 7th inning, but just a couple of hits (or subs, or conferences, etc) would likely put us over.

1st batter walks into the box, looks at me and says, "Coach told me to stall - so I apologize in advance." Not knowing yet where this is leading, I just said - "Don't stall." and got ready for the pitch. 2 balls, and then the 3rd pitch - right down the middle - Strike. Batter steps out and says, "You've got to be Effing kidding me! Who the F do you think you are." I toss her, walk to the coach to get a sub. I see coach smiling and realize the EJ/argument is just what she wanted the player to do - her version of legal stalling. Coach argues a bit eventually ejects herself as well. I ask assistant coach for a sub...

They have no subs available. Game over - forfeit.

Oops... nice move coach.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRef View Post

Unsporting foul B2= 2FT and possession
T on A2 = 2FT and possession

Right. All those fouls carry a "2FT and possession" penalty; it's not the fouls that "cancel each other", but the penalties. So there's no way that team A shoots free throws in this situation. Had B2's foul been a common foul with team penalty (bonus), it would have been different.

I'd have ejected A2 and team A's coach right away. HTBT for B2's foul; it's an easy U, might be D (flagrant in Fedspeak, disqualifying in FIBAspeak).

Ciao
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
What was the second "T" for?
There was no second T. Didn't mean to confuse you hope this will help.
The Visiting teams player, who was properly selected by the Visiting teams coach to attempt the two foul shots which were awarded as result of actions by the HOME team resulting in the assessment of a technical foul, was successful in both attempts which increased the running and total score of the Visiting team by 2 additional points from their previous sum prior to the afore mentioned free throw attempts.
OR
The player made both free throws for the assesed technical foul.

Hope that helps!