The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:07am
We don't rent pigs

The worst?

Which is worst case scenario for an official?

Rec leagues?
Little girls games?
Games where everybody know you by name?

The answer: All of the above, which is what I had tonight. The last game of the night. Actually pretty high quality for this kind of game. Hard fought and close. I was not happy with the job we did, but, well we did what we could.
I have a series of partners in this league, none of whom has ever been a registered official, and let's just say it gets interesting. The finishing touch tonight came at the end of the above mentioned game. A parent from the winning team, a guy I've known for 30+ years, a guy who has played ball all his life and even used to do some jr. high officiating yells, "We won in spite of them! No calls!" Is it just me or how big an *** do you have to be to yell this at the end of an 11-12 year old girls game, no matter what was or wasn't called. The thing that annoyed me most was how much hearing him yell this annoyed me, if that makes any sense. I'll be okay. Tomorrow is another day.
Back to the peaceful surroundings of varsity games and a gym filled mostly with strangers.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Rec leagues?
Little girls games?
I don't work the first two and the third is true for about 90% of my HS varsity games. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref

Rec leagues?
Little girls games?

The answer: All of the above, which is what I had tonight. The last game of the night. Actually pretty high quality for this kind of game. Hard fought and close. I was not happy with the job we did, but, well we did what we could.
I have a series of partners in this league, none of whom has ever been a registered official, and let's just say it gets interesting. The finishing touch tonight came at the end of the above mentioned game. A parent from the winning team, a guy I've known for 30+ years, a guy who has played ball all his life and even used to do some jr. high officiating yells, "We won in spite of them! No calls!" Is it just me or how big an *** do you have to be to yell this at the end of an 11-12 year old girls game, no matter what was or wasn't called. The thing that annoyed me most was how much hearing him yell this annoyed me, if that makes any sense. I'll be okay. Tomorrow is another day.
Back to the peaceful surroundings of varsity games and a gym filled mostly with strangers.
JAR,
You need to add three more items to your list to get the full affects of worst case scenario reffing:
4. Your daughter is playing in the game
5. Most of the players are your students that you are currently teaching
6. Your wife is one of the coaches!

See you had it pretty good after all! I feel for you though, it helps me to get past the annoying comments by thinking that I'm here for the kids, and like you said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

I've had fair success in shutting up the loud mouth parent(s), by asking them days later when I see them up town or at the next game (before it starts) if they would mind helping out with reffing future games, I say this sincerely and mention that we could use some help at the games, especially with reffing. Most of the time this shuts them up at future games and in a couple of cases they take the bait and try to ref a game with me, funny how it only takes one game of trying to reff these lower level games and the parent never steps forward again, they usually tell me at the end of their one game that they never had a clue how difficult it is to see plays, fouls, violations ect, half can't even remember how to blow the whistle!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
JAR,
You need to add three more items to your list to get the full affects of worst case scenario reffing:
4. Your daughter is playing in the game
5. Most of the players are your students that you are currently teaching
6. Your wife is one of the coaches!

See you had it pretty good after all! I feel for you though, it helps me to get past the annoying comments by thinking that I'm here for the kids, and like you said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

I've had fair success in shutting up the loud mouth parent(s), by asking them days later when I see them up town or at the next game (before it starts) if they would mind helping out with reffing future games, I say this sincerely and mention that we could use some help at the games, especially with reffing. Most of the time this shuts them up at future games and in a couple of cases they take the bait and try to ref a game with me, funny how it only takes one game of trying to reff these lower level games and the parent never steps forward again, they usually tell me at the end of their one game that they never had a clue how difficult it is to see plays, fouls, violations ect, half can't even remember how to blow the whistle!
What an opportunity - you actually get to make your wife keep quiet while you go about your business. And you say this is worst case? This sounds more like an hour and a half of HEAVEN!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
What an opportunity - you actually get to make your wife keep quiet while you go about your business. And you say this is worst case? This sounds more like an hour and a half of HEAVEN!!!!!!!!
Who the H*ll ever said she keeps quiet! Luckily I've somehow acquired this ability to not hear her, I'm sure I'm the only husband with this gift!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who the H*ll ever said she keeps quiet! Luckily I've somehow acquired this ability to not hear her, I'm sure I'm the only husband with this gift!
I used to love watching that commercial on TV where the official was sitting there with no expression while his wife was screaming at him
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I used to love watching that commercial on TV where the official was sitting there with no expression while his wife was screaming at him
I try to let you guys coast in your little "boys will be boys" mode, but this is just too much. If you married a harridan, that's your problem. Please don't act like this is a wife thing, or a woman thing. Please take your marriage issues to a counselor or divorce lawyer, and leave the rest of us out of it.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Followed by a night on the couch (sorry, Juulie.)
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I try to let you guys coast in your little "boys will be boys" mode, but this is just too much. If you married a harridan, that's your problem. Please don't act like this is a wife thing, or a woman thing. Please take your marriage issues to a counselor or divorce lawyer, and leave the rest of us out of it.

What? Did someone say something? ????
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Followed by a night on the couch (sorry, Juulie.)
It's not me you're insulting, Snaz, and it's not me you have to apologize to.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I try to let you guys coast in your little "boys will be boys" mode, but this is just too much.
Come on. Laughing at a funny beer commercial is too much?

Quote:
Please take your marriage issues to a counselor or divorce lawyer, and leave the rest of us out of it.
I don't think anybody mentioned "the rest of you". It's a funny image, nothing more.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Come on. Laughing at a funny beer commercial is too much?

I don't think anybody mentioned "the rest of you". It's a funny image, nothing more.
Even without the references to the commercial, I find the attitude projected by calling an hour and a half of a silent wife "HEAVEN!!!" troublesome. Seriously, it's none of our business what relationship problems the penguin has with his wife, and he shouldn't be airing them here.

WIth regard to the advertising, I know we disagree about this, and I won't say another word after this one. Re-inforcing false and insulting stereotypes is never funny, imo, and does more damage than is worth whatever humor may be derived by some people.

I"m done.

Last edited by rainmaker; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 01:39pm.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even without the references to the commercial, I find the attitude projected by calling an hour and a half of a silent wife "HEAVEN!!!" troublesome. Seriously, it's none of our business what relationship problems the penguin has with his wife, and he shouldn't be airing them here.

WIth regard to the advertising, I know we disagree about this, and I won't say another word after this one. Re-inforcing false and insulting stereotypes is never funny, imo, and does more damage than is worth whatever humor may be derived by some people.

I"m done.
**I'm gonna pay for this... **

I would like to find out if your husband feels the same....

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's not me you're insulting, Snaz, and it's not me you have to apologize to.
Actually, my point is that if I spent an hour and a half shutting my wife up, I'd certainly not be sharing a bed with her later.

My wife isn't exactly chatty kathy, but I guarantee she wouldn't be happy.

I'll share this with my wife later and report back to you whether or not I get in trouble.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Should we talk now about all the bumbling Dads on television? Since we're talking about negative stereotypes meant to get a laugh or two.