The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Perkins Ejection

I am sure some others are watching the game as well. Regardless of the debate of whether it was a foul/nonfoul to begin with, that seemed like a quick technical. Granted at the HS level, I do not care if a player is walking away or not, saying "that was a BS call" is automatic. In the NBA, I have just seen a lot worse that were not called.

Anyway, my thoughts...how good of a look to Eddie Rush have on the foul? From his angle I would think he would see the push, but he certainly signaled otherwise. He obviously did not realize that was the second T on Perkins as they did not eject him right away (where was the table crew on this one ). Does he let that go if he does know he had one already? It was an interesting sequence that I think is the first time I can remember a crew botching administration procedures, which leads me to think it caught everyone off guard.

I loved the announcers saying that he should "man up" and admit the mistake and retract the technical. "Oh wait, you are right, that was a bad call, nevermind my whistle. In fact why am I even out here?"

Also just heard that was Perkins 7th technical of the playoffs, which means he is out for the possible game 6, if the league upholds the technical. Anyone want to wager that the league will rescind that technical?? If betting were legal and all.

Last edited by MathReferee; Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:40pm.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

See Donaghey thread LOL
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be surprised if the NBA did not rescind the technical foul. To me, it appeared as if it was a heat of the moment reaction that resolved itself. Usually a heat of the moment reaction is allowed (within reason) if the player does not direct it toward the official and the situation resolves itself quickly (which I think he did a good job of walking away).

As to the call, Ed Rush called a hit which surprised me as I also thought he was calling a foul on the displacement. It's possible he saw something from his angle which they never showed.

On a side note, Perkins can mean mug with the best of them!

Last edited by APG; Wed May 26, 2010 at 09:48pm.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
Anyone want to wager that the league will rescind that technical?? If betting were legal and all.
When did it become illegal?
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
According to SI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
Also just heard that was Perkins 7th technical of the playoffs, which means he is out for the possible game 6, if the league upholds the technical. Anyone want to wager that the league will rescind that technical?? If betting were legal and all.
As stated above:

"Barring a reprieve from the NBA office, starting center Kendrick Perkins will miss Game 6 after compiling seven technical fouls in the playoffs."

Of the Davis injury, I found this quote from the article interesting -

"I know he blacked out on the floor," Rivers said of Davis. "I was just trying to get him back down on offense at the time. And Marquis, same thing. He blacked out as well. Lots of elbows."

Wow coach, so you knew at one point your player(s) was/were unconscious, but all you were concerned with was getting them back in the play? Thanks for your concern! Wouldn't fly in HS - especially with the recent emphasis.

Read More: Big-man shortage leaves Celtics in big trouble - Andy Staples - SI.com
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

My first thought was that the center official (Crawford) hit Perkins with the T. Perkins was walking away from Rush, who was the trail, but he was walking right at Crawford. My first thought was that Crawford whacked him for the antics, but I could never really see on any replay who actually gave the technical. Announcers said it was Rush, I assume it was him, but don't know for sure. Anyone know for sure it was Rush and not Crawford (the center official on that play)? Just curious...
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I can neither confirm, nor deny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Anyone know for sure it was Rush and not Crawford (the center official on that play)? Just curious...
This article says:

"With 36.1 seconds remaining in the half, referee Eddie Rush rang up Perkins a second time for what appeared to be some minor post-play grousing."

Another online source said:

"Then with 36.1 seconds left, Perkins and Dwight Howard were jostling in the post, and Perkins was whistled for his third personal. Perkins outstretched his arms and protested the call as he turned away from referee Eddie F. Rush, who apparently decided he went too far.

Rush called the technical, Perkins looked on with an expression of stunned disbelief, then slowly shuffled to the other end of the court and eventually through the tunnel to the Boston locker room."

Last edited by grunewar; Thu May 27, 2010 at 07:54am.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Anyone know for sure it was Rush and not Crawford (the center official on that play)? Just curious...
Considering Rush reported the T to the table and you can see him start to whack him when the camera cuts away, then I am certain it was Rush.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

"I know he blacked out on the floor," Rivers said of Davis. "I was just trying to get him back down on offense at the time. And Marquis, same thing. He blacked out as well. Lots of elbows."

Lots of elbows??? WTF is Doc talking about? Davis caught Howard's elbow on the nose when Howard was bringing his arm down in its natural motion on a shot. Daniels banged his face into Gortat's chest.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu May 27, 2010 at 08:00am.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This article says:

"With 36.1 seconds remaining in the half, referee Eddie Rush rang up Perkins a second time for what appeared to be some minor post-play grousing."

Another online source said:

"Then with 36.1 seconds left, Perkins and Dwight Howard were jostling in the post, and Perkins was whistled for his third personal. Perkins outstretched his arms and protested the call as he turned away from referee Eddie F. Rush, who apparently decided he went too far.

Rush called the technical, Perkins looked on with an expression of stunned disbelief, then slowly shuffled to the other end of the court and eventually through the tunnel to the Boston locker room."
I love how none of this report what the player said as he was walking away. It is very obvious and one can read his lips in the video highlight. He deserved the T. Still I would bet that the NBE OFFICE will rescind it and let him play anyway. They want a show more than they wish to support their officials. Very sad.

Just in case there is any question about my criticisms, let me say they are directed at those in the league office, not the on-court officials. The league directors are the problem.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I love how none of this report what the player said as he was walking away. It is very obvious and one can read his lips in the video highlight. He deserved the T. Still I would bet that the NBE OFFICE will rescind it and let him play anyway. They want a show more than they wish to support their officials. Very sad.

Just in case there is any question about my criticisms, let me say they are directed at those in the league office, not the on-court officials. The league directors are the problem.
Agreed, and it will only add fuel to the fire of opinion that NBA refs are incompetent. The league will be trading long term benefit for short term gain.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
[QUOTE=AustinRef;678708]
Anyway, my thoughts...how good of a look to Eddie Rush have on the foul? From his angle I would think he would see the push, but he certainly signaled otherwise. He obviously did not realize that was the second T on Perkins as they did not eject him right away (where was the table crew on this one ). Does he let that go if he does know he had one already? It was an interesting sequence that I think is the first time I can remember a crew botching administration procedures, which leads me to think it caught everyone off guard.QUOTE]

How is it obvious he did not realize it was the 2nd T? A second technical foul does not need be accompanied by the "heave ho" signal. It's still just another technical foul. I'm sure the table crew was sitting somewhere courtside Why would you let something go just because you've already given one technical foul. There is nothing in our rules that say the 2nd T has to be any more eggregrious sp? than the first one. In fact, I feel if you let them keep pushing you past what you have established as your line, it only shows that you don't have to guts to "man up" and handle business. Also, what administration did they botch? There was a foul, a technical foul, they shot the T, then played on from the original foul. Sounds like they handled it pretty well. Every official in that game has worked the NBA Finals, I'm pretty sure they can handle a simple foul/technical sequence. I don't really understand your reasoning behind all this. Please expound
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:33am
Do not give a damn!!

When did we get to the point that anything players say is OK?

If we have to live by the mantra of "You cannot quote silence," then why do players and coaches not adhere to the same issues? It sounds to me that no T would have been given if Perkins kept his mouth shut. Seems pretty simple if you ask me.

Peace
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I didn't like the T at all, Rush seemed to get personal about it. Looked like a "gotcha" call. Yeah, Perkins said it was a BS call, but he said it as he walked away. He never stared down Rush either. Did he flail his arms? Yes, but he did it as he walked away.
Its an emotional game, I bet Rush wishes he could have that one back.

"The league will support the T in the interest of having a Game 7 in Orlando" - Tim Donaghy
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I do understand that in terms of what is often let slide in the NBA and even NCAA levels this tech may be percieved as soft.

As an official, parent and basketball fan I'm glad he called it. Sure he was walking away, but walk away and be frustrated with yourself and talk to your teammates about the next possesion. Don't walk away whining and bi&^%ing. If this was the standard for all tech's you'd see a lot less barking and whining to officials and more basketball players worrying about playing basketball in the league. IMO

I get that their millionaires, its suppose to be entertainment too, and its an emotional and physical game. I'm ok with all that stuff in the context of playing the game. The whistle is blown, you are no longer playing the game you are waiting for the game to resume. PLayers worry about playing the game, officials worry about calling it.

Also I'm not convinced it was a great inital foul call based on what I saw, but having watched NBA games on tv and in person everyone is making hard contact with everyone from 15 feet in on every possesion so what is and isn't a foul is pretty subjective. Get over it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!