The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And I agree also that the NBA is harder to manage and referee. But that's partially because of the star system involved. I can't believe that anybody could stand up and say with a straight face that LeBron James and Kobe Bryant are treated the exact same as the Kendrick Perkins of the world.
YouTube - Kobe Bryant gets ejected of the game VS Sonics 2008-02-25
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post

I work in one of the same D1 conferences as Teddy V. They could try and scratch him, but it would be a no go about like the theory you and others have on the Kobe/Perkins star vs. non-star conspiracy. I, on the other hand, could easily be scratched bc I am not considered a big timer.
If that is what you think that the term means, then we are not discussing the same issue.
My statement is that D1 coaches do not have a formal process in place to block individual officials from their games or their conferences. They simply do not possess this power.
However, I will not argue that they exert some influence and some of them may be able to informally request to the conference supervisor that they not have a specific official. It would be up to the supervisor of the conference whether or not he honors that.
The D1 coaches submit evaluations which are several pages in length on the officials following each game, but beyond that they do not have any formal input into the selection, hiring, firing, or assigning of the officials.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of it.
It is certainly possible that if you receive enough poor reviews that you will not be rehired for the next season, but that does not mean that you were scratched.
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 07:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Sorry JR it does exist. let's compare apples and oranges since that has seemed to be the whole thread.

I work in one of the same D1 conferences as Teddy V. They could try and scratch him, but it would be a no go about like the theory you and others have on the Kobe/Perkins star vs. non-star conspiracy. I, on the other hand, could easily be scratched bc I am not considered a big timer.

Everyone knows that one guy who they thought was a phenomenal referee but for some reason he just didn't get "his shot". Sometimes it is for that very reason.
You speak of Teddy V now, but (and I'm just asking here) was Teddy V anywhere near the respected official at the time of the Knight incident that he is now? Perhaps to a certain degree, as he'd been around more than 10 years, but I can't imagine he was seen then as he is now. Hell, most refs now respect him because of Knight's opinion.
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 07:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
His point was not that Kobe would never get the boot; his point is that Kobe will not get the boot as quickly as, say, Kyle Korver.