The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Which is a screen.

It's the picturebook definition of screen. Or are you saying there's some sort of requirement that a screen be set by the offense?
I really think it is BOTH screening and guarding. The rules overlap to a large degree.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Can the defender continue to defend anybody while on his butt in the middle of the floor? Then he was put at a disadvantage. Call the TC foul like you should.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Can the defender continue to defend anybody while on his butt in the middle of the floor? Then he was put at a disadvantage. Call the TC foul like you should.
Does he have to defend an opponent who is also on their butt, as pointed out in the original post of this thread?

Where is the disadvantage for ANYBODY in the situation where BOTH players are down?
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Does he have to defend an opponent who is also on their butt, as pointed out in the original post of this thread?

Where is the disadvantage for ANYBODY in the situation where BOTH players are down?
How many offensive players are on the floor? If it was a game of one on one you may have a point. But as I recall it is a game of 5 on 5, and the defender, who has every right to be wherever he can get to on the floor and guard whoever his heart desires has been relegated to a small amount of butt-space in the middle guarding the guy sitting on his chest. TC foul. Call it.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
How many offensive players are on the floor? If it was a game of one on one you may have a point. But as I recall it is a game of 5 on 5, and the defender, who has every right to be wherever he can get to on the floor and guard whoever his heart desires has been relegated to a small amount of butt-space in the middle guarding the guy sitting on his chest. TC foul. Call it.
Your preference naturally. I disagree completely with your reasoning though. If both players are on the floor, neither has gained any advantage over the other player in any way that I can think of. It meets the criteria for incidental contact under rule 4-27 in all ways imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nope, he can't. And an offensive screener can't catch a pass if he gets knocked on his *** on a blind screen either.

And yet, by rule, it's incidental contact provied the screened opponent attempts to stop.

Rule it incidental contact just as the rule says you should.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 09:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

The OP is almost exactly like CB play 10.6.11 Situation D. In both plays in Sit D, the CB play says this is a foul on A5.

Would this be considered a screen outside of A5's visual field? While it is true he is looking away from the defender, he is running blindly running down the court while looking directly behind him. It would seem to me that A5 should be expected to see the defender in this situation if he is paying attention.

Just my $0.02.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef View Post
B1 scores a basket, and A1 throws in to A2. A5 is jogging up the court (still in his backcourt), looking back at his teammate with the ball. B5 is facing A5, and has obtained a LGP with plenty of steps infront of A5. A5 collides into B5, and they both go down. Is there any foul? I say no.

I believe that it would be similar to when the offense sets a blind screen for his teammate that has the ball. If the defense never sees the screen, then there is no foul when they collide.
Why are you characterizing this as a screen? Team A has the ball. B5 has obtained LGP against A5 who is a moving player without the basketball. Why wouldn't you consider this to be guarding and apply the rules for that?

Looked at in that manner this would be a charging foul for displacing the defensive player from his legally obtained spot on the floor.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

One other thought -- the NFHS has a play in the Case Book which states that a screen from the front or side is considered within the field of vision of a player and so cannot be a "blind screen." The defender is not responsible for which direction the opponent is looking. If he set up in front of the moving opponent, none of the principles for a blind screen could possibly apply.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef View Post
B1 scores a basket, and A1 throws in to A2. A5 is jogging up the court (still in his backcourt), looking back at his teammate with the ball. B5 is facing A5, and has obtained a LGP with plenty of steps infront of A5. A5 collides into B5, and they both go down. Is there any foul? I say no.

I believe that it would be similar to when the offense sets a blind screen for his teammate that has the ball. If the defense never sees the screen, then there is no foul when they collide.

1) We all know that the guarding rule applies only to the five defensive players.

2) We all know that the screening rule apples to all ten players (both offensive (including the player in control of the ball) and defensive players).

3) The play in the OP is a conundrum (boy, I hope I spelled that correctly, ) because the official has to decide which B5 did: (a) Did B5 obtain (NFHS)/established (NCAA and FIBA) a LGP, or (b) Did B5 set a legal blind screen?

4) The answer to both items in (3) is YES. So what do we do?

5) In this play I am inclined to rule LGP, because B5 was facing A5. Remember to obtain/establish a LGP, the defender must be facing the offensive player, while in setting a screen the screener does NOT have to be facing the screenee (I hope I spelled this correctly too, ). And NFHS Casebook Play 10.6.11 Situation D supports my position.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

10.6.11 situation d ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NFHS Casebook Play 10.6.11 Situation D supports my position.
10.6.11 SITUATION D: A1 is running toward A’s goal but is looking back to
receive a pass. B1 takes a position in the path of A1 while A1 is 10 feet away from
B1. (a) A1 runs into B1 before receiving the ball; or (b) A1 receives the ball and
before taking a step contacts B1. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is responsible
for contact. In (a), B1’s position is legal if A1 has been given two strides prior to
contact. In (b), since the position of B1 is legal when A1 has the ball, the contact
is charging by A1. (4-40)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:31am
Back from the DL

Quote:

The play in the OP is a conundrum (boy, I hope I spelled that correctly, )
Indeed you did, sir. If there's ever any question about a word's spelling, I find the easiest thing to do is open another tab and go to dictionary.com.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

And I'm Not Talking About Stripper Names ...

Quote:
Conundrum (boy, I hope I spelled that correctly.
I prefer this spelling: Corundum.

(Ruby and Sapphire)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 16, 2010 at 09:46am.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Be Here All Week Folks, Enjoy The Buffet ...

Quote:
NFHS Casebook Play 10.6.11 Situation D supports my position.
So does your truss. (Apologies to Don Rickles.)

Old Sun May 16, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Indeed you did, sir. If there's ever any question about a word's spelling, I find the easiest thing to do is open another tab and go to dictionary.com.
It is even easier, just click the spell check button in top right of the post entry form. (You may have to install ieSpell before it will show or will work...and you have to use IE.)