View Single Post
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef View Post
B1 scores a basket, and A1 throws in to A2. A5 is jogging up the court (still in his backcourt), looking back at his teammate with the ball. B5 is facing A5, and has obtained a LGP with plenty of steps infront of A5. A5 collides into B5, and they both go down. Is there any foul? I say no.

I believe that it would be similar to when the offense sets a blind screen for his teammate that has the ball. If the defense never sees the screen, then there is no foul when they collide.

1) We all know that the guarding rule applies only to the five defensive players.

2) We all know that the screening rule apples to all ten players (both offensive (including the player in control of the ball) and defensive players).

3) The play in the OP is a conundrum (boy, I hope I spelled that correctly, ) because the official has to decide which B5 did: (a) Did B5 obtain (NFHS)/established (NCAA and FIBA) a LGP, or (b) Did B5 set a legal blind screen?

4) The answer to both items in (3) is YES. So what do we do?

5) In this play I am inclined to rule LGP, because B5 was facing A5. Remember to obtain/establish a LGP, the defender must be facing the offensive player, while in setting a screen the screener does NOT have to be facing the screenee (I hope I spelled this correctly too, ). And NFHS Casebook Play 10.6.11 Situation D supports my position.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio