The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Let The Fun Begin..

AAU modified NFHS rules. I am not sure we handled this correctly, but we apparently did a good enough job explaining what we were doing and why that neither the State Police or National Guard had to be called. Which when dealing with some AAU tournaments is a HUGE accomplishment.
Here is the play. (and I thought this only happened in the movies!)
Visitors score with 2 seconds left. V presses while H1 is taking the ball out of bounds. H2 receives the pass from H1 as H2 is breaking hard to the ball. H2 then proceeds to shoot a lay up.....at V basket.....H2 makes the basket while V2 attempts to block the shot and fouls the player hard. (Not intentional or flagrant) 1 second left on the clock....
I know what we did and I'll save that fun for later. What would YOU do?

Last edited by Judtech; Sat May 01, 2010 at 08:28pm. Reason: For reason of clarity, it was a dunk, not a lay up.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
AAU modified NFHS rules. I am not sure we handled this correctly, but we apparently did a good enough job explaining what we were doing and why that neither the State Police or National Guard had to be called. Which when dealing with some AAU tournaments is a HUGE accomplishment.
Visitors score with 2 seconds left. V presses while H1 is taking the ball out of bounds. H2 receives the pass from H1 as H2 is breaking hard to the ball. H2 then proceeds to shoot a lay up.....at V basket.....H2 makes the basket while V2 attempts to block the shot and fouls the player hard. (Not intentional or flagrant) 1 second left on the clock....
If the basket was already successful, I have nothing. You said it was not intentional or flagrant. If the basket was not yet successful, call the foul and shoot bonus free throws (if applicable) or it's H's ball the spot nearest the foul.

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Sat May 01, 2010 at 08:21pm.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 08:15pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
It all depends...
Was the foul before the "shot" entered the basket? If so, no score, can't score with a dead ball and continuous motion does not apply, this is by definition NOT a shot attempt.
Was H team in bonus? If so, shoot FT(s) at other end.

What is so difficult about this play?

Last edited by justacoach; Sat May 01, 2010 at 08:22pm.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I told you this was fun. It was a dunk (not the afore mentioned lay up) both teams in double bonus.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I told you this was fun. It was a dunk (not the afore mentioned lay up) both teams in double bonus.
Was the dunk through the hoop before the foul?

-Josh
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Without the aide of slow mo replay, I couldn't say. Maybe I need to get better at judging that but usually when a player goes up for a dunk and gets fouled while dunking I don't judge when it went through the net. Would have been helpful on this play.
If it had been a lay up or short jumper it would be easier to administer. I am sure we kicked it but we live and learn. The first option was calling the play dead no points for V and H shoots the double bonus. However, we didn't think we could disallow the basket b/c none of us could say for sure that the foul occured prior to the basket. We couldn't ignore the foul, because it was a hard play and a hard foul (and a hard dunk) The shooter had not returned to the floor but there was no airborn shooter in play b/c the foul made the play dead. So we counted the bucket, called the foul after the basket and went down the court to shoot the double bonus. Both coaches were rather exercised during this discussion, but before we proceeded we called them together, explained our reasoning and they were both ok with it. (Although the V coach wanted their player shooting the "and 1" but he was joking!) H missed the second bonus shot and the game went in the books.
So despite whether we kicked the rule or not, the story had a happy ending for everyone except the player who dunked the ball at his own basket, then missed a free throw!!
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would have disallowed the basket, and shot the free-throws due to the foul on the other end.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question. If you counted the basket, couldn't you have ruled an inadvertent whistle? The only way I see a foul being called and counting the basket is if the foul was ruled an intentional or flagrant technical foul. We don't have an airborne shooter here because the dunk wasn't a try as it was at the wrong basket, so we can't use that exception.

The only way I see this could be ruled is count the basket, rule the whistle inadvertent and play on. Or wave off the basket, and shoot the bonus free throws at the other end of the court.

Last edited by APG; Sat May 01, 2010 at 10:12pm.
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 10:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Without the aide of slow mo replay, I couldn't say. Maybe I need to get better at judging that but usually when a player goes up for a dunk and gets fouled while dunking I don't judge when it went through the net. Would have been helpful on this play.

2) So we counted the bucket, called the foul after the basket and went down the court to shoot the double bonus.
1) Would have been helpful? It's impossible to make the RIGHT call on this play without that knowledge. And you don't need slo-mo to make that decision either. Any half-way competent official automatically looks to see the status of the ball when he calls any foul. All you were doing was guessing...and you're still guessing.

2) Unfortunately, the rules won't allow you to make that call. If the ball was dead(which it is after a basket), any contact that ISN'T intentional or flagrant has to be ignored, by rule.

You can't make the right call if you don't know the rules...or have a clue as to what's going on.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I would have disallowed the basket, and shot the free-throws due to the foul on the other end.
If there were any doubt, I would have counted the basket and ignored the contact. Why reward stupidity?

Best of all, however, is to have no doubt and get it right.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

I've officiated with a guy over the years who says his "referee motto" is "Occasionally wrong but never indecisive".

I told him mine was "Always right and always decisive".
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 11:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not What You Said, It's How You Said It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I've officiated with a guy over the years who says his "referee motto" is "Occasionally wrong but never indecisive".
Similar to what our, now retired, local interpreter used to say:

"The best wrong call is a strong wrong call."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

BILLY that is a great motto! I think it fits this situation.
Yeah, we kicked it but we did it strongly!! Talked to the guys today about it and we had a good laugh about writing our own rule! We still couldn't decide if the dunk or foul happened first, it was really bang-bang. But upon further review, we probably should have gone with the contact, disallowed the basket and shoot the double bonus at the other end. We all had plays similar to this but they all had involved lay ups or jump shots. Goes to show working several games in a row can skew your reasoning!! Live and learn and get it right the next time!
JR glad to see you continue to be in tune with my sense of irony!
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR glad to see you continue to be in tune with my sense of irony!
Methinks you're confusing your sense of irony with your lack of rules knowledge. I'm in tune with that.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Methinks you're confusing your sense of irony with your lack of rules knowledge. I'm in tune with that.
The irony was saying it would have been helpful knowing what occured first. But since we were all caught flat footed on that one and didn't know what happened first we made it up as we went along. We got it wrong, but we did it in such a SPECTACULAR manner, we got away with it!!!!