View Single Post
Old Sat May 01, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Without the aide of slow mo replay, I couldn't say. Maybe I need to get better at judging that but usually when a player goes up for a dunk and gets fouled while dunking I don't judge when it went through the net. Would have been helpful on this play.
If it had been a lay up or short jumper it would be easier to administer. I am sure we kicked it but we live and learn. The first option was calling the play dead no points for V and H shoots the double bonus. However, we didn't think we could disallow the basket b/c none of us could say for sure that the foul occured prior to the basket. We couldn't ignore the foul, because it was a hard play and a hard foul (and a hard dunk) The shooter had not returned to the floor but there was no airborn shooter in play b/c the foul made the play dead. So we counted the bucket, called the foul after the basket and went down the court to shoot the double bonus. Both coaches were rather exercised during this discussion, but before we proceeded we called them together, explained our reasoning and they were both ok with it. (Although the V coach wanted their player shooting the "and 1" but he was joking!) H missed the second bonus shot and the game went in the books.
So despite whether we kicked the rule or not, the story had a happy ending for everyone except the player who dunked the ball at his own basket, then missed a free throw!!