The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Dead/Ball Live Ball Quiz Help

A draft of a dead ball/live ball quiz for a newsletter is included in this post. I'm looking for the wisdom of the forum to help make it better and help me to avoid any embarrassing snafus. So bring on the constructive criticism and suggestions. If you have your own dead ball/live ball question please post it here. If I like it, I'll include it in the quiz.

The quiz is best taken on line at http://phillyref.com/rules/basketball/nfhsquiz2.html Answers and rule references are provided there along with scoring. I'll post the answers here later. Feel free to post your answers here at any time.

Here goes.

01. Identify the three ways that the ball becomes live

02. With one exception, what type of foul must be called if a foul is called when the ball is dead?

03. What is the exception for question #2?

04. Identify the 5 most important items to immediately check when the ball becomes dead

05. Identify 5 rules areas where dead/ball live ball status is critical

06. Identify 3 free throw situations where the ball becomes dead without exception

07. Identify 2 types of fouls that cause the ball to becomes dead without exception

08. If the ball becomes dead for a foul or violation, does it become dead when a) the foul, violation occurs or b) when an official blows the whistle for the foul or violation (answer a or b)

09. Identify 3 circumstances in which the ball remains live after a foul that is not a player control or team control foul

10. Identify 2 circumstances in which the ball remains live after time for a period has expired or an official inadvertently blows his/her whistle.

11. Assume that a try or tap is in progress or an airborne shooter has not returned to the floor. Identify 2 violations that do not cause the ball to become dead.

12. Team B scores a goal and A1 catches the ball before it touches the court. B2 immediately requests a timeout. An official grants a timeout. Is the official correct? (answer yes or no).

Last edited by wanja; Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 11:34am. Reason: replace name with identify
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 11:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

You forgot the most obvious: the ball becomes dead when deflated.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quiz With Answers

Here is the quiz with answers. #12 is the most debatable and I invite discussion to help clarify.

01. Identify the three ways that the ball becomes live

placed at the disposal of the thrower, placed at the disposal of the free-thrower, releasereleased by official for jump ball

02. With one exception, what type of foul must be called if a foul is called when the ball is dead?

technical foul

03. What is the exception for question #2?

foul on or by an airborne shooter

04. Identify the 5 most important items to immediately check when the ball becomes dead

ball location to determine throw-in spot if necessary, clock to correct if necessary, partner to coordinate, players to maintain control, table to provide help if necessary

05. Identify 5 rules areas where dead/ball live ball status is critical

correctable error, foul, scoring, substitution, time out

06. Identify 3 free throw situations where the ball becomes dead without exception

successful last free throw, completed free throw that is not last, free throw violation by offense

07. Identify 2 types of fouls that cause the ball to becomes dead without exception

player control foul, team control foul

08. If the ball becomes dead for a foul or violation, does it become dead when a) the foul, violation occurs or b) when an official blows the whistle for the foul or violation (answer a or b)

b.Remember that there may be a significant lag between an infraction and the official's whistle

09. Identify 3 circumstances in which the ball remains live after a foul that is not a player control or team control foul

try for goal is in flight, free-throw is in flight, player is in the act of shooting while time not expired

10. Identify 2 circumstances in which the ball remains live after time for a period has expired or an official inadvertently blows his/her whistle.

try for goal is in flight, free-throw is in flight

11. Assume that a try or tap is in progress or an airborne shooter has not returned to the floor. Identify 2 violations that do not cause the ball to become dead.

excessive swinging of elbows by opponent player, opponent player leaves court for unauthorized reason

12. Team B scores a goal and A1 catches the ball before it touches the court. B2 immediately requests a timeout. An official grants a timeout. Is the official correct? (answer yes or no).

yes. The ball became dead when the goal scored. It does not become live until it is at the disposal of the thrower. The official must judges when this occurs. The ball would be at the disposal of the thrower when Team A has an opportunity to control the ball out of bounds for a throw in. More definitive guidance from the rule and case books would be helpful.

Last edited by wanja; Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 11:35am. Reason: replace name with identify
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

#6: answer should begin successful last FT, right?

I don't see what's controversial about your answer to #12.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
#6: answer should begin successful last FT, right?
right. fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't see what's controversial about your answer to #12.
The NFHS rule and case books do not directly, explicitly address the situation where team A scores a goal and then requests a timeout immediately after team b catches the ball before it hits the floor. The closest case (6.1.2b) deals with a situation where the ball is bouncing along the end line after a scored goal. I'm comfortable with the interpretation that in the situation I cited, that a timeout should be granted. Consider a close end game situation where you anticipate Team A calling a timeout. I have not seen and would not promote denying the timeout.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
The NFHS rule and case books do not directly, explicitly address the situation where team A scores a goal and then requests a timeout immediately after team b catches the ball before it hits the floor.
See SITUATION 9 of the 2006-07 Basketball Rules Interpretations as issued by the NFHS.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...s-archive.html

SITUATION 9: In the last minute of play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out.
RULING: Legal Procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official begins the throw-in count.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee;672495]See SITUATION 9 of the 2006-07 Basketball Rules Interpretations as issued by the NFHS.

Thanks. I took a look at your prior post of past interps. It was and is a good idea. I'll add them to the rules section of my site.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 01:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
See SITUATION 9 of the 2006-07 Basketball Rules Interpretations as issued by the NFHS.

SITUATION 9: In the last minute of play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out.
RULING: Legal Procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official begins the throw-in count.
This is another example, in my opinion, of an interp which is not consistent with the written rule.

4-4-7d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is available to a player after a goal.

4-42-3: The throw-in and throw-in count begins when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 02:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is another example, in my opinion, of an interp which is not consistent with the written rule.

4-4-7d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is available to a player after a goal.

4-42-3: The throw-in and throw-in count begins when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to it.
The question is.....

Do you usually start your throw-in count when the player grabs the ball in-bounds or do you wait until the player has walked OOB with it?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Question, But ...

Quote:
Do you usually start your throw-in count when the player grabs the ball in-bounds or do you wait until the player has walked OOB with it?
When the ball drops to the floor after a made basket by Team A, and a few Team B players kind of congregate around the ball, looking at each other questioning, "Who takes it out?", and more than just a few seconds pass, don't some of us start the count while the ball is still on the ground, and still inbounds?

I know that I do. I'm not standing there watching them play rock, paper, scissors, for five minutes, especially when the clock is ticking.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 02:47pm.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 02:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The question is.....

Another good question. I usually wait until he has walked out of bounds, but nothing in the rule tells us to do it this way. "Available to a player" is broad terminology, to be sure, and it doesn't specify any difference between ball location with regard to out of bounds or not. The ruling I see most often is when in doubt, grant the timeout. And sometimes, even when there should be no doubt, grant it anyway. I have seen the timeout whistled while the throw-in pass is in the air. This can get back to that mental granting of the timeout thing which occurs significantly prior to the whistle, I suppose.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When the ball drops to the floor after a made basket by Team A, and a few Team B players kind of congregate around the ball, looking at each other questioning, "Who takes it out?", and more than just a few seconds pass, don't some of us start the count while the ball is still on the ground, and still inbounds?

I know that I do. I'm not standing there watching them play rock, paper, scissors, for five minutes, especially when the clock is ticking.
And that's a situation that's out of the ordinary take-the-ball-out situation; and that's why it's also specifically covered under the COMMENT in case book play 6.1.2SitB.

The FED has already given us direction imo with the case book play and the interp in the archive. If you feel the throwing team is delaying, start the throw-in count. If not, wait until the thrower is OOB with the ball. And grant any TO requests by the defense up to the start of your throw-in count.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 04:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gotta Love That Casebook ...

Quote:
6.1.2SitB.
6.1.2 SITUATION B: Team A has just scored a goal. The ball is bouncing close
to the end line when: (a) A1 calls for a time-out; or (b) A1 illegally contacts B1.
RULING: In order to rule correctly, it depends on whether the bouncing ball is
judged to be at the thrower’s disposal. If the covering official judges it is at the
thrower’s disposal, he/she would start the count and the ball becomes live. In this
case, in (a) no time-out is granted and the foul in (b) is penalized. If the ball is not
at the thrower’s disposal, the time-out is granted in (a) and the contact in (b) is
ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant. COMMENT: In this situation, the covering
official must give the new throw-in team a moment or two to recognize it is
their ball for a throw-in and get a player into the area to pick up the ball. If the ball
is near the end line, it is the throw-in team’s responsibility to secure it and throwin
from anywhere out of bounds along the end line. The covering official shall
start his/her throw-in count when it is determined the ball is available. (4-4-7d)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)