The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

The Politically correct call? Nahhh.....

I was born and raised in Vidor,Texas. Whatever you may have heard, it's not how everyone in the town is. Google it if you don't understand. I have never considered myself a person who cares about the color of your skin, hair or shoes. I never thought about how some words can get twisted, until about the year 2000. Just before stepping into the jump circle for a Toss, I verbally and visibally, signaled direction for each team. As I did it, I realized that one team was all black players, wearing black. The other team was all white players, wearing white. I remember after I said it, "Black this way, White this way." I felt like someone had a voodoo doll of me and they were stabbing me in the back.

I now use the term Team black or Team white. At first it was weird, but after forcing myself to do it, I never think about it. It just comes out.

Time outs are reported to the table as " Coach, Team black, 30 second

When giving jump circle instructions, I refer to Team White or Team Red.

When the game is in play, I do not refer to fouls or OOB's as Team . I simply say "Red 32" on fouls. I simply say "RED" on OOB's.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like reporting to the scorer, "Black, Coach 30 second TO."

By no means do I ever want to have someone distort what my true meaning is. The games not about me. I want to be seldom seen.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
I was born and raised in Vidor,Texas. Whatever you may have heard, it's not how everyone in the town is. Google it if you don't understand. I have never considered myself a person who cares about the color of your skin, hair or shoes. I never thought about how some words can get twisted, until about the year 2000. Just before stepping into the jump circle for a Toss, I verbally and visibally, signaled direction for each team. As I did it, I realized that one team was all black players, wearing black. The other team was all white players, wearing white. I remember after I said it, "Black this way, White this way." I felt like someone had a voodoo doll of me and they were stabbing me in the back.

I now use the term Team black or Team white. At first it was weird, but after forcing myself to do it, I never think about it. It just comes out.

When the game is in play, I do not refer to fouls or OOB's as Team . I simply say "Red 32" on fouls. I simply say "RED" on OOB's.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like reporting to the scorer, "Black, Coach 30 second TO."

By no means do I ever want to have someone distort what my true meaning is. The games not about me. I want to be seldom seen.

TexasPaul. I understand your apphension. Personally, I think we have come a long ways in society. I did Google Vidor, Texas READ the first article which discussed race relation or the lack of in the small town. In you situation as an official you should not be too concern with the color of a team jersey. You did not pick it out; You did not schedule the game. You got hired to officiate it. Stick with that.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's funny you posted this...Saturday in one of my rec games.... black coach...whom I've known for about 4 years now...good guy and fellow official too...his team wears black jerseys in our league...they are the Spurs.

As I went to report the TO...I said "Timeout, black, coach"....I paused for a second and was thinking...What the hell did I just say...that didn't sound right!?

So, I made a point to include "CALLED BY" in reports each and every time...which I say about 50% of the time anyway....but this was one of the 50% I didn't and it made me feel a little self conscious...
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Why?

Quote:
Just before stepping into the jump circle for a Toss, I verbally and visibally, signaled direction for each team.... I remember after I said it, "Black this way, White this way."
Why do you do this?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

I had a game one time where the all-African-American team was wearing white jerseys, and the all-Caucasian team was wearing black jerseys. As for you, at the beginning of the game, I noticed as I was calling "black, this way, etc" A couple of the kids noticed too, and laughed. Then some of the others laughed. I raised my voice a little to include the coaches, and said, "I don't care what color your skins are, I'm calling this game by the jerseys." Everything went fine!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
Why do you do this?
Why not?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

We've been advised by our association in Iowa to use 'black shirts' or 'red shirts' or 'blue shirts' or 'white shirts' or whatever is applicable....

The other day I worked a church tournament and reported 'green, #2, etc.' Though a little casual for a tournament and not using 100% the sharpest mechanics, it seemed that by using 98% proper mechanics, eems I only confused the retired couple doing the book and running the clock. They finally honked the horn to express their confusion and get things clarified. They were use to the 'non-trained' guys who had been working the tournament and had been running up to the bench itself to report the foul, I guess.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Many years ago, I played in an independent tournament where both teams had on gold jerseys. Our team was all white. Their team was all black. Officials identified us as black and white. Nobody had a problem with it, and why would they?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Black top, White Top, Red top...etc No confusion, no misunderstanding, easy to say...
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hey guess what? I reffed a university intramural game last night.

I don't remember how many players there were of any particular race. I do remember that the short guard for Team A kept trying to penetrate only to give up a turnover. I do remember giving two Ts for language (one was started by the player saying "And One" ). I do remember the fast breaks and how well they were executed.

I remember that the ball was orange. I remember that I wore black shorts and white socks. I remember that I wore a yellow "Referee" t-shirt. I remember that the dodgeballs in the other court were red/orange. I remember that the very attractive girl playing dodgeball has chestnut brown hair. I remember that I declined the brown pop after the game. But as for the players, who's skin was white and who was black, couldn't tell ya. What does it matter, anyways?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

True juggling, but what if someone ran in the gym last night and stole your favorite whistle, would you tell everyone what he looked like? I accept that they're black, brown, tan, white, red and probably some colors I haven't seen, but to say you don't recognize someones skin color is just being intellectually dishonest.

My eight year old son plays with one of the neighbor kids his age. My son is white as a bed sheet and this kid is black. My son doesn't care what color he is, but he definitely knows he's black. He made the comment to me that when they went to the Houston Rockets game for a birthday party, he was the only white kid in the bunch. I told him, awesome. It was easy for the parents to find him. I was simply trying not to say something that would offend someone.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
He made the comment to me that when they went to the Houston Rockets game for a birthday party, he was the only white kid in the bunch. I told him, awesome. It was easy for the parents to find him.
Good one, paul. I like that line!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I had a Men's league game awhile back and the all black team wore white and the all white team wore black, before I tossed I called black and pointed direction and same for white and then said "Man, am I confused", we all had a good laugh and got the game going.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think that it is crazy that people are even getting upset about this. For as long as I can remember who ball it was has always been by the jersey color. People just need to chill out and not be so anal when it comes to this stuff.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
True juggling, but what if someone ran in the gym last night and stole your favourite whistle, would you tell everyone what he looked like? I accept that they're black, brown, tan, white, red and probably some colours I haven't seen, but to say you don't recognize someones skin color is just being intellectually dishonest.
I consider myself an aware observer. When the time presents itself, I can accurately recall all the pertinent details around me. It helped when my gf was rear-ended on the 401 and the police definitely paid closer attention to my dissertation. If someone stole my favourite whistle, I would certainly use my observation skills to give an accurate description of said person. Before that, that person is just that: someone at the gym.

Quote:
My eight year old son plays with one of the neighbor kids his age. My son is white as a bed sheet and this kid is black. My son doesn't care what color he is, but he definitely knows he's black. He made the comment to me that when they went to the Houston Rockets game for a birthday party, he was the only white kid in the bunch. I told him, awesome. It was easy for the parents to find him. I was simply trying not to say something that would offend someone.
This is different in that you should know your son's friends rather well, including having met his friend's parents. That's just my 2 cents on parenting, though. Your son spends a lot of time with his friends. I spend 90 minutes a few times a year helping out my friend who is the college intramural RIC.