The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
His tirade during the B12 tournament that earned him a TF was rather entertaining.
The a&*hole doesn't fall very far from the "tree"
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:41am
Huck Finn

Hoosier Alert!

Does the General have some black marks on his record? Yes. Does he have questionable programs like those ran by Pitino, Calipari, Frank Martin and others? No. Did he have an injury like Coach K and Roy Williams when his team wasn't doing well? No. Does he have more championships than many other coaches while doing it with far lesser talent? Absolutely!

Back in the day, if I had a kid with marginal talent and discipline - which I would have taken care of at home - I would send him to IU in a heartbeat. The only exception that comes to mind is if he was a big man (John Thompson II/Georgetown).

That concludes my Hoosier rant for today.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:51am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It's a toss up with Calipari and Rick "table for two" Pitino.

Had a brief exchange of words with Pitino that did not go well years ago in a men's clothing store.
He didn't like the black & white suit you selected for him?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Not before K State's Frank Martin.

A howler monkey....
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
So you disagree with the author's superlative?
Probably not.

But......

You gotta remember that "sleazy scumbag" and "whiny crybaby" are completely different categories. Calipari might be the King of the sleazy scumbags but Huggins has to be the leader of the goofs that are both scumbags and crybabies. Gonzalez is one of those too. Iow Huggins has to be close in the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Nothing really new there....

Calipari is one of the Big Three along with Bobby Huggins and Bobby Gonzalez......

It's sad what some schools will do to come up with a winning team. And it's amazing that Seton Hall puts up with Gonzalez when he doesn't really win that much either.
nice call. . Report: Seton Hall Pirates fire Bobby Gonzalez as coach - ESPN
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

If standards are going to be consistent there are a few more coaches that should be included.

It is not hard to find equivalent incidents where the treatment is not equivalent.

Coach K had exactly the the same thing happen @ Duke with Corey Magette as happened with Calipari and Camby....yet Duke/K went untouched. Hmmm.

Another program would also be minus 10 championships if there was any consistency. Look up Sam Gilbert. He was part of the biggest racket in all of college basketball and they're always left out of the discussion. And Sam Gilbert's was blatant and widely known, even to the coach. Hmmm.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 01:13pm.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Hoosier Alert!

Does the General have some black marks on his record? Yes. Does he have questionable programs like those ran by Pitino, Calipari, Frank Martin and others? No. Did he have an injury like Coach K and Roy Williams when his team wasn't doing well? No. Does he have more championships than many other coaches while doing it with far lesser talent? Absolutely!

Back in the day, if I had a kid with marginal talent and discipline - which I would have taken care of at home - I would send him to IU in a heartbeat. The only exception that comes to mind is if he was a big man (John Thompson II/Georgetown).

I think I have a new man crush!!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does he have questionable programs like those ran by Pitino, Calipari, Frank Martin and others? No.
What exactly was Pitino accused of doing (in the context of basketball, not his affair)? The only thing I can think of is that Pitino took over a UK program already on probation as a result of Eddie Sutton's actions.

Sure, he job hopped a bit, but that hardly translates into questionable programs.

As for Calipari, there has never been any link between him and any wrongdoing. If you're going to tag him with the actions of others, you're probably going to have to toss out half the D1 coaches out there and 10-20 championships (or more)...unless you're going to tell me no other D1 player ever took money from an agent or booster or ever cheated on their SAT....ever.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 04:28pm.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hoosier Alert!

Disagree completely with the bold text. UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Indiana are the premier basketball programs and Bob Knight had his share of talent. IU has been down in talent lately because Henderson wasnt very good, Sampson was better "is" a cheat and a fraud. Crean is a good hire I think but needs time to shake the stink off what Sampson left behind. In time, because hoops is a religion in Indiana, they will have their share of talent as well.

The rest is debateable...
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Martin runs a questionable program at KSU? Just askin'.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Let's not forget this tool

Texas Tech head basketball coach Pat Knight was informed by the Big 12 that he was to dress a little more becoming of a division one basketball coach. Knight, who was wearing his signature Red Raider polo when the number one Kansas Jayhawks dispatched Tech in the Big 12 tournament Thursday afternoon.

Kansas coach Bill Self agreed with the Big 12's decision.

"He came up and shook my hand after the game and I thought it was an athletic trainer," Self explained. "Seriously, I was wondering why an athletic trainer was coming up to me. I was wondering if he was going to tape my ankles or something. The only way I found out he was a coach is because he wasn't wearing a fanny pack."

The statement from the Big 12 used language ranging from unbecoming to schleppy when describing Knight's sideline attire.

"We want our head coaches to look the part during the games," a Big 12 compliance official stated. "And a polo is not going to get that done. If he thinks a sweater vest is going to work, he's wrong on that as well. This isn't football and only Jim Tressel can wear something so gay looking. Basketball coaches wear suits on the sidelines, leave the polos for trainers, equipment managers, and cheer coaches."

The Big 12 official offered suggestions for Knight to emulate.
"Rick Pitino is a good model, minus the seedy Italian-ness. I would stay away from the Bruce Pearl look, I don't understand why he wears that orange blazer, his face is orange enough from mystic tans," the official explained.
That can't be a legitimate article, can it? Sure, the really bad stuff was apparently said off the record, but even Self's comments make him sound worse than almost everyone else mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by shutupneff; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 09:52pm.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupneff View Post
That can't be a legitimate article, can it? Sure, the really bad stuff was apparently said off the record, but even Self's comments make him sound worse than almost everyone else mentioned in this thread.
Reads like satire to me.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Nobody has mention Steve Lavin or Blias or any of the nice people at ESPN......Since we are giving out scumbag rewards
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Reads like satire to me.
Apparently it is satire. It's off a blog and his his other blogs are out there. The self comments are the giveaway. That said, 'truth in humor' applies here.