The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

This one didn't happen to me, but to a fellow official. He didn't give me details about what happened during that game but it doesn't really matters. At the end of the game, as he walks to the table, the losing coach starts telling him things like "Well, looks like we lost the game because of you" and "You really should read the rulebook"...

Parenthesis: We, up here, have what we call "sportsmanship points" during the season (every team gets 2 sportsmanship points per game minus the number of technical fouls the team earned during each game). So, even for T's, "it ain't over til it's over"... End of parenthesis.

But it happens the game my colleague was officiating was part of a tournament (therefore, no sportsmanship points). So he didn't really know what to do (he didn't give me details about that neither). So what should he have done? Is there anything we can do to deal with a coach at the end of a game (of course, if he doesn't give you enough time to "sign the damn sheet and get out ASAP")?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:18pm
M.A.S.H.

I would have whacked him then reported this problem to my assignor (if you have one), if not, report it to your state and the AD of the school.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Why did he have to walk to the table?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
End of game T's are always difficult. Usually, you can avoid them by ignoring the coach and getting of the floor quickly. If the coach isn't going to let that happen, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Where I am, we sign the book at the beginning of the game, so that all we have to do is run off the floor at the buzzer, usually avoiding any confrontation. My association did have an incident similar to the one that you describe last season. The officials on that crew whacked the coach and made sure that it went in the book. It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but it may affect the coach if the Atheletic Director of his school has anything to say about it. Sometimes individual schools have policies for their coaches, so it may be a good idea to assess the "T," especially if he deserved it.

On a side note, the "sportsmanship points" are something new to me. How are the points used?

Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Why did he have to walk to the table?
To sign the book. Or to ask the scorekeeper's phone number. He didn't tell me.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I would have whacked him then reported this problem to my assignor (if you have one), if not, report it to your state and the AD of the school.
I would have shot him, probably not reported him though.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Being a tourny game I might understand having to retrieve articles from tableside if insufficient accomodations for officials were not available. I would imagine that the score would not have been effected by giving a "T" so why bother at that point. Just remove yourself from the situation, locate a site administrator if need be, report the incident to your assignor / association who can then take it up with the league. Trying to come up with a snappy retort does nobody any good (although if you can fire off a good one.....). Something simple like "coach, I didn't miss those free throws" or "thanks for your input coach" is sufficient enough.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
On a side note, the "sportsmanship points" are something new to me. How are the points used?
As I wrote earlier, after each game, each team gets 2 sportsmanship points minus the number of T's the team earned during that game. The standings take account of these. The "normal" points (3 pts for a win, 2 for a tie, 1 for a loss) are added to the total sportsmanship points earned by the team and the sum is the total points of the team. The standings are made using this total.

For example, if a team wins a game but earns a T, they get a total of 3+(2-1)=4 points for this game. If the losing team gets no T, they get a total of 1+(2-0)=3 points for this game.

To make a long story short, a less talented but more disciplined team can end up higher in the standings than a more talented but less disciplined team.

Hope I was clear enough!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I would have shot him, probably not reported him though.
But then he'll just laugh in your face (since it wouldn't affect the game's outcome). I'm not sure if it wouldn't make things worse... Well, at least, in most of the cases...
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I like the sportsmanship points. I have never heard of that before. It means that sportsmanship actually has an impact on the teams. Pretty cool.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I like the sportsmanship points. I have never heard of that before. It means that sportsmanship actually has an impact on the teams. Pretty cool.
I'm not sure if intentionnal fouls also have an impact on sportsmanship points or if there are other factors... But that's the pen-pushers' problem, not mine.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
Something simple like "coach, I didn't miss those free throws" or "thanks for your input coach" is sufficient enough.
I like that. With the disinterested tone and all...