The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know on how to react when a coach wants to talk to us about a call since I'm very ambivalent on how to treat that situation.

Some referees tell me that we should not stop a game and go to the coach's bench and answer his or her questions. This causes the game to be stop and breaks the rhytme of the game. Others tell me not restart the game and take the time to answer their questions but very quickly.

Other referees insist for the coach to take a time out if we wants to discuss a call. Others will ignore the coach completely.

Other referees will talk quickly to the coach when they are running by the coach's bench side while the game goes on.

Any suggestions for me!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 04:59pm
Huck Finn

Talk to them when the situation allows in a calm, understanding voice first. Whether you choose to stop the game or not depends upon the situation.

"I understand coach"
"I'll look at it coach"
"That is what I saw coach"
"OK coach"

These things can be used on a coach that deserves it or to make an attempt to calm a coach. This is of course if you are discussing one of your calls. I don't believe in consoling a coach for something one of my partners called. That just isn't right to me. If a coach is beginning to go too far I will try to ignore it and weather the storm until it either goes away or goes to far.
IMO your communication with coaches and players should have highs and lows just like everyday situations. Too much of one or the other can become an irritant.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 04:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gazou

I would like to know on how to react when a coach wants to talk to us about a call since I'm very ambivalent on how to treat that situation.

Some referees tell me that we should not stop a game and go to the coach's bench and answer his or her questions. This causes the game to be stop and breaks the rhytme of the game. Others tell me not restart the game and take the time to answer their questions but very quickly.

Other referees insist for the coach to take a time out if we wants to discuss a call. Others will ignore the coach completely.

Other referees will talk quickly to the coach when they are running by the coach's bench side while the game goes on.

Any suggestions for me!
gazou,
During any stoppage you may work your way over there.
During action and on the way by, tell him you'll get back to him when you can.
mick
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Officials should be approachable.
Experience will let you know what coaches are approachable.

In three man, I can have a quick chat with a coach during a live ball. Seldom do I chat in two man but will give a quick word or two answer or explanation as I run by. If a coach wants a major discussion about a rule, there should be a timeout.

Tell a coach what you saw, or the way you saw it. Or maybe, "Hey coach, I didn't see it that way" and move on. Do not be afraid to admit to a blown call. Even one of your partner's blown calls without sh*ting on them. "Yeah coach, I may have missed that one" or "coach, my partner may have had a tough angle there, we may owe you one."

That doesn't mean that you will give them one back but you were honest and you defused a confrontation.

When you have discussed it enough, let the coach know. You can tell them, you can hold up your hand to them. Be firm not timid; be serious, don't try and make jokes or be buddies with the coaches.

Have respect for the coach and their position, and earn their respect for yours.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking or not

My philosophy is that if a coach asks a legitimate question, then it deserves an answer. If a coach makes a comment, I decline to make further comment.

As part of my pre-game with the coaches, I tell them that we will answer questions as the game allows. I will not go across the floor to answer a question unless the game will be better for it. Otherwise, I simply wait for the next best opportunity.

The games we work are usually emotional and people get fired up, and going directly over to a coach may not be the best thing for the game at that particular moment. This also gives the coach an opportunity to distance themselves from the previous call or no call so that a calmer dialog might take place.

With all that said, I know officials that talk to coaches every trip down the floor. Usually what happens is the coach takes the officials words and twists them against them. Now they have distracted my partner and thats when bad things can happen.

I also have worked with partners that say I will not talk to coaches. That just looks like they are afraid to take care of business outside the lines.

Hope this helps.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'd avoid stopping the game,it points the spotlight on the situation.

Be calm,under control and precise when you talk to the coach.

Ed Rush talked about this at a camp I went to,he put this on the blackboard:

P P parent

A A adult

C C child

The first row is the offical,the second is a player or coach.In an ideal situation all communication ia A to A,when the player/coach takes it to C,we must take on a parental role.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Watch a lot of games and watch how the veteran refs handle the coaches. I had a call last night that i didn't like, when the coach asked me how that could be a block as i walked by i just said, not the best call of the night. He smiled and we went on our way.

Remember, usually a coach just wants to be heard.

My two sense!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gazou

Practice you responses at home. Keep your reponses to three words or less. i.e. "Taunting", "displacement", "stuck out knee", "hip check", "space between players", "It might have been", "I think your correct", "contact, but no displacement". The less you say, the less likely your words will be used against you.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Someone above said, you might say, "We owe you one." I'd NEVER use that wording. NEVER. That doesn't mean you can't admit you goofed. I have had a lot of trouble in this area and this is how I'm working on getting better.

a) Try not to stop the play to talk, but it might be necessary upon rare occasion.

b) Look the coach in the eye, and respond politely. When the response required is not polite, you are getting close to needing to T.

c) Always let the coach know you are listening. A simple "I hear you coach" can work wonders. The other think I"ve done a lot that works well with almost any player, fan or coach, is a simple "Thank you." after their comments. I can't understand why this works, but it really does. I say it very dryly, and very neutrally. And they just quit complaining. At least for the moment.

d) Don't discuss. You listen, respond, allow the possibility of one more listen-respond, and then get away. You've both got other things that need to be attended to.

e) Memorize about 10 good sentences or phrases that will be generally useful, and don't ad lib. In a high octane situation, adlibbing is a great way to put yourself way out on a very high, very flimsy branch.

She got her right across the arm, coach.
Coach, let's talk over here by your bench.
She didn't have legal guarding position, or She had legal guarding position.
I can show you that rule in the book after the game.
There was no contact.
I had a good angle on that one, coach.
I hear you coach.
I'm watching it, coach, or I'll watch out for it, coach.
Remember your box, coach.

And the always useful when needed:

That's enough, coach (use in conjunction with the stop sign).

Coach management is the most important part of your game, and you should spend a lot of effort and attention to making it really masterful. Keep working. It does get better with practice.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Watch a lot of games and watch how the veteran refs handle the coaches. I had a call last night that i didn't like, when the coach asked me how that could be a block as i walked by i just said, not the best call of the night. He smiled and we went on our way.
Are you saying your partner called block and you didn't like it and shared this opinion with your inquisitive coach? It sounds like it. Not sure I agree with this approach. You could say something a little more neutral, like, "yeah, that was a close one there," indicating that you understand the reason for his concern but you aren't about to leave your partner hanging.

Now if this was your own call and you are now second guessing yourself, I guess whatever works for you is ok. but this comment to a coach seems a little out of place to this coach.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Are you saying your partner called block and you didn't like it and shared this opinion with your inquisitive coach? It sounds like it. Not sure I agree with this approach. You could say something a little more neutral, like, "yeah, that was a close one there," indicating that you understand the reason for his concern but you aren't about to leave your partner hanging.

Now if this was your own call and you are now second guessing yourself, I guess whatever works for you is ok. but this comment to a coach seems a little out of place to this coach.
Oh no, it was my call and i kicked it bad. My partner actually didn't show up, so I was doing this solo... I sold the call, but i knew that i kicked it and told him as i was going to report that it wasn't the best call of the night.

I agree. I would never do that about a partners call only my own. Thanks for asking me to clarify.

[Edited by dhodges007 on Mar 10th, 2004 at 05:21 PM]

My two sense!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

You should be open for conversation, but not go out of your way to do so. In a 3 Person game, it is easy if you are the C official right in front of the bench, I will talk to a coach that is handling himself reasonablely. But if that coach is complaining about every single play, then they will get ignored. Really the conversation is going to be based on how the coach acts. Because sometimes coaches ask the right question at the right time, then you do not have to say much to them the rest of the game.

It really comes down to your personality and what your evaluators think is best.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the clarification

You always seem like a pretty level-headed individual, so I was surprised to think you might be doing your partner so wrong.

BTW, rainmaker, I agree that the "owe you one" comment is one that doesn't need to be said. It's bad enough to hear Billy Packer talk about make-up calls, y'all don't need to reinforce that concept!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Re: Thanks for the clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
You always seem like a pretty level-headed individual, so I was surprised to think you might be doing your partner so wrong.
Thank you!

My two sense!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

If he has a ligitimate question about a call, i'll stop and discuss it with him shortly before the ball is put back in play. If it isn't legitimate, or he is over excited i'll ignore him and move on. If the coach treats me well, i'll show him the same respect back.