The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

The sleaziest coach in a sleazy game

Kentucky's John Calipari is the sleaziest coach in a sleazy game. - By Charles P. Pierce - Slate Magazine

Quote:
I do not believe that Kentucky is going to win this year's NCAA men's basketball tournament. This is one reason why: I watched them beat the tar out of Tennessee in the SEC tournament, a ridiculous 74-45 blowout during which freshman center DeMarcus Cousins took the opportunity to give head coach John Calipari one of the greatest "Honky, please" looks since the demise of Richard Pryor, and a backup named Daniel Orton was told to absent himself briefly from the proceedings and walked up the tunnel, leaving Kentucky undermanned and the broadcast crew completely baffled. Meanwhile, Calipari was all over starry freshman guard John Wall, who was visibly counting down the seconds until the end of the season, whenever it is. And all this in a game that Kentucky won by 29.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Nothing really new there....

Calipari is one of the Big Three along with Bobby Huggins and Bobby Gonzalez......

It's sad what some schools will do to come up with a winning team. And it's amazing that Seton Hall puts up with Gonzalez when he doesn't really win that much either.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

Calipari is one of the Big Three along with Bobby Huggins and Bobby Gonzalez......

It's sad what some schools will do to come up with a winning team. And it's amazing that Seton Hall puts up with Gonzalez when he doesn't really win that much either.

+1 with JR. That about sums it up IMO.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did Gonzalez surge past Pitino to garner a place in the JR Big 3 with his performance last night protesting the ejection of his player who was guilty of the punch to the balls?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 08:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Did Gonzalez surge past Pitino to garner a place in the JR Big 3 with his performance last night protesting the ejection of his player who was guilty of the punch to the balls?
Geeze, boinking the wife of one of your assistant coachs on a restaurant table doesn't make him that big of a scumbag, does it? At least he waited until she finished eating.

Calipari, Huggins and Gonzalez are all eligible for the coveted Scumbag Lifetime Achievement Award. Pitino still has a ways to go yet.

Of course, we can't confuse this with the equally prestigious Whiny Coach Of The Year Award, also known as the Coach K Trophy. They are completely different categories.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Taking Nominations?

Quote:
Calipari, Huggins and Gonzalez are all eligible for the coveted Scumbag Lifetime Achievement Award. Pitino still has a ways to go yet.

Of course, we can't confuse this with the equally prestigious Whiny Coach Of The Year Award, also known as the Coach K Trophy. They are completely different categories.
For the annual Sweater of the Year (SOY) or Going Balistic and Turning Red Until the Veins Popout on Your Neck (GBTRUVPYN) I nominate Gary Williams, Univ of Md.

He's gonna have a coronary right on the sideline one day........
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's a toss up with Calipari and Rick "table for two" Pitino.

Had a brief exchange of words with Pitino that did not go well years ago in a men's clothing store.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Going Balistic and Turning Red Until the Veins Popout on Your Neck (GBTRUVPYN) I nominate Gary Williams, Univ of Md.

He is fun to watch though.

But the leader in the "fun to watch" category has to be Tom Crean of Indiana. It's absolutely hilarious to watch him patrolling the sideline.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But the leader in the "fun to watch" category has to be Tom Crean of Indiana. It's absolutely hilarious to watch him patrolling the sideline.
Yes it is.............fanboy alert, daughter is at IU

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 09:45am.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you disagree with the author's superlative?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the annual Sweater of the Year (SOY) or Going Balistic and Turning Red Until the Veins Popout on Your Neck (GBTRUVPYN) I nominate Gary Williams, Univ of Md.

Not before K State's Frank Martin.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 09:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

DLH - you beat me by a few sec.......Frank Martin, Kansas State ranks up there for Most Intense!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DLH - you beat me by a few sec.......Frank Martin, Kansas State ranks up there for Most Intense!
FM is so fun to watch. I tried to find some pix of his now famous "glare"....dude is scary.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Let's not forget this tool

Texas Tech head basketball coach Pat Knight was informed by the Big 12 that he was to dress a little more becoming of a division one basketball coach. Knight, who was wearing his signature Red Raider polo when the number one Kansas Jayhawks dispatched Tech in the Big 12 tournament Thursday afternoon.

Kansas coach Bill Self agreed with the Big 12's decision.

"He came up and shook my hand after the game and I thought it was an athletic trainer," Self explained. "Seriously, I was wondering why an athletic trainer was coming up to me. I was wondering if he was going to tape my ankles or something. The only way I found out he was a coach is because he wasn't wearing a fanny pack."

The statement from the Big 12 used language ranging from unbecoming to schleppy when describing Knight's sideline attire.

"We want our head coaches to look the part during the games," a Big 12 compliance official stated. "And a polo is not going to get that done. If he thinks a sweater vest is going to work, he's wrong on that as well. This isn't football and only Jim Tressel can wear something so gay looking. Basketball coaches wear suits on the sidelines, leave the polos for trainers, equipment managers, and cheer coaches."

The Big 12 official offered suggestions for Knight to emulate.
"Rick Pitino is a good model, minus the seedy Italian-ness. I would stay away from the Bruce Pearl look, I don't understand why he wears that orange blazer, his face is orange enough from mystic tans," the official explained.

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 10:14am.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

His tirade during the B12 tournament that earned him a TF was rather entertaining.