The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:29am
Huck Finn

Beasley was delivered to KSU in exchange for that contract.
I'm not saying there were improprieties involved with Beasley's recruiting, I'm saying he actually got on the floor during Martin's watch. Are you understanding yet? I met Beasley, I officiated him during his sophomore and junior seasons - he went to four different schools in high school or maybe I should say he was schooled four different ways - and I know about his history. Basically, I would say testing isn't his thing.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I'm not saying there were improprieties involved with Beasley's recruiting, I'm saying he actually got on the floor during Martin's watch. Are you understanding yet? I met Beasley, I officiated him during his sophomore and junior seasons - he went to four different schools in high school or maybe I should say he was schooled four different ways - and I know about his history. Basically, I would say testing isn't his thing.
Are you suggesting a more scrupulous coach would have turned away a player that was recruited by his predecessor? What should trigger that decision?

You put Martin in the category of sleazy coaches. I'm not challenging that assertion per se; I'm just questioning your supporting evidence. If you've got other reasons for believing that, that's cool; I just don't see how the contract signed by his assistant (presumably before he got there) or playing time for a player whom he did not recruit. If there's some reason he should have benched or dismissed Beasley, then that's different.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 10:37am.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:08am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you suggesting a more scrupulous coach would have turned away a player that was recruited by his predecessor? What should trigger that decision?

You put Martin in the category of sleazy coaches. I'm not challenging that assertion per se; I'm just questioning your supporting evidence. If you've got other reasons for believing that, that's cool; I just don't see how the contract signed by his assistant (presumably before he got there) or playing time for a player whom he did not recruit. If there's some reason he should have benched or dismissed Beasley, then that's different.
Wow, you really don't understand what I'm saying? I met him, I know of his history and I don't think test taking is his thing. Martin may not have recruited him, but he put him on the floor. His talent is obvious. So, for the NCAA what else is there? You can't understand that?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Wow, you really don't understand what I'm saying? I met him, I know of his history and I don't think test taking is his thing. Martin may not have recruited him, but he put him on the floor. His talent is obvious. So, for the NCAA what else is there? You can't understand that?
No, tom, I don't understand. You presented Beasley as exhibit A in the case against Martin. If I read that wrong, I'm sorry. If not, I'm trying to figure out what it is you think a more scrupulous coach would have done with him.

Let's assume he took crap classes and barely passed that first semester of his freshman year. Calling Martin a sleaze implies he should have done things differently; I'm trying to figure out what you think he should have done differently with regard to Beasley and Hill.

I'm trying to get it, but I don't understand how Beasley's test taking abilities translate to "Martin is a sleazeball."
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:32am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No, tom, I don't understand. You presented Beasley as exhibit A in the case against Martin. If I read that wrong, I'm sorry. If not, I'm trying to figure out what it is you think a more scrupulous coach would have done with him.

Let's assume he took crap classes and barely passed that first semester of his freshman year. Calling Martin a sleaze implies he should have done things differently; I'm trying to figure out what you think he should have done differently with regard to Beasley and Hill.

I'm trying to get it, but I don't understand how Beasley's test taking abilities translate to "Martin is a sleazeball."
Doesn't he have to take a test to become eligible?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, what is the problem? And, if there was a problem with his recruitment/academic handling, I'd be interested in reading some type of legitimate, validating information....which I've yet to see.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Doesn't he have to take a test to become eligible?
Yeah, and he would have taken that test long before Martin took the job; if you're taking about the SAT. If you're talking about the tests in his classes at KSU, I'm willing to grant that he took crap classes just to get by for a semester. Anyone can do that, the classes are there. I just don't see how it reflects on the coach's character.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Could you name 10 players that Bobby Knight had on his three championship teams?
The three you mentioned, plus:
Quinn Buckner
Uwe Blab
Kent Benson
Scott May
Tom Abernathy
Darryl (somebody)

OK, that's 9. If I thought more about it, I could probably come up with at least one more.

I can't name ANY of the players on either of Kentucky's recent championships. I can only name one off the Florida champions.

How many can you name off ANY of the Duke championship teams? How about more than half a dozen off the Wooden UCLA teams other than Kareem and Walton?

My point is this is nonsense. A casual fan being able to name players off a winning team doesn't prove or disprove the talent level at that team.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
slow on uptake..........?????

In Chicago area he's called the mighty Quinn
Snaqs is simply refering to the famous 1st baseman of the Red Sox with the same last name who happened to have a large space between his legs during one fateful World Series game against the Mets.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:40pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
The three you mentioned, plus:
Quinn Buckner
Uwe Blab
Kent Benson
Scott May
Tom Abernathy
Darryl (somebody)

OK, that's 9. If I thought more about it, I could probably come up with at least one more.

I can't name ANY of the players on either of Kentucky's recent championships. I can only name one off the Florida champions.

How many can you name off ANY of the Duke championship teams? How about more than half a dozen off the Wooden UCLA teams other than Kareem and Walton?

My point is this is nonsense. A casual fan being able to name players off a winning team doesn't prove or disprove the talent level at that team.
If you think it is nonsense then what does that say about you since you just participated? The point is it is easy to name players from UNC's championship teams because they are NBA players and in many cases stars.

I would guess that there are some circumstances surrounding the fact that you can remember Uwe Blab, but nobody from the other teams you mentioned.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Uwe!!

Quote:
I would guess that there are some circumstances surrounding the fact that you can remember Uwe Blab, but nobody from the other teams you mentioned.
Now there is a name from the past that I haven't heard in a while. He attended the same HS that I did only years later in his case.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you from Indiana?

At any rate, I think most would agree it is easier to remember: James Worthy, Michael Jordan, Brad Dougherty, Eric Montross, George Lynch, etc.
That is where I grew up yes.
I prefer to remind my wife of King Rice, Ranzeno Smith, Pete Chilcutt, Herb (?)Zwicker, JR Reid, Rick Fox Jeff Lebo Makhtar Ndjiay(SP) Kevin Slavadori but by then she has usually made the sofa up for me to sleep on!!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Now there is a name from the past that I haven't heard in a while. He attended the same HS that I did only years later in his case.
UWE was not on a national championship team. And the Daryl was Daryl Thomas. Yeah, I can go way back! (My favorite being Purdue post players!)
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was thrown out there:
Off the top of my head
Duke: Boozer Reggie Love J. Williams Dahntey (inferno) Jones Dunleavy Jr Battier Laetner Hill Hill (There were two) hurley Dawkins, Sneider Greg Koubek Billy Mcaffery Cherokee Parks
UCLA Gail Goodrich Walt Hazard Henry Bibby Swen Nater Jamall (Keith Wilkes) Marquess Johnson
Kentucky Tony Delk Jamaal Mashburn Walter Mcarth Jeff Pope Nazir Muhammed Jeff PRICKard Kyle (The Traitor) Macy Antoin Walker Dered Anderson

This just proves that I have waaayyy too much time during the 1/16 match up!!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Since it was thrown out there:
Off the top of my head
Duke: Boozer Reggie Love J. Williams Dahntey (inferno) Jones Dunleavy Jr Battier Laetner Hill Hill (There were two) hurley Dawkins, Sneider Greg Koubek Billy Mcaffery Cherokee Parks
UCLA Gail Goodrich Walt Hazard Henry Bibby Swen Nater Jamall (Keith Wilkes) Marquess Johnson
Kentucky Tony Delk Jamaal Mashburn Walter Mcarth Jeff Pope Nazir Muhammed Jeff PRICKard Kyle (The Traitor) Macy Antoin Walker Dered Anderson

This just proves that I have waaayyy too much time during the 1/16 match up!!
But, some of those players were not even on championship teams. Plus, your spelling of the names is abysmal (even accounting for the deliberate misspelling of Jeff Sheppard.