Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Reads like satire to me.
What color is satire supposed to be in? Navy blue?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 08:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Two of Our Nominees in One Article!

After Huggins left, Kansas State hit the jackpot with fiery Martin - USATODAY.com

Excerpt -

"So he signed Huggins, who had a Final Four appearance on his résumé at Cincinnati but also low player graduation rates, a spate of off-the-court issues and his own drunken-driving arrest. Cincinnati bought out his contract."
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:37pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Disagree completely with the bold text. UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Indiana are the premier basketball programs and Bob Knight had his share of talent. IU has been down in talent lately because Henderson wasnt very good, Sampson was better "is" a cheat and a fraud. Crean is a good hire I think but needs time to shake the stink off what Sampson left behind. In time, because hoops is a religion in Indiana, they will have their share of talent as well.

The rest is debateable...
I'm going to have to work on my lists because this is a debate I get into often. Could you name 10 players that Bobby Knight had on his three championship teams? I will give you a head start:

I. Thomas
S. Alford
K. Smart

If you can name 7 more (some are obvious from his first one), you are either from Indiana or a hoops junkie.

On the other hand, Roy Williams won two championships with like 9 first-round draft choices and Dean Smith had about the same. I mention those two coaches because the media loves them so much.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:38pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Martin runs a questionable program at KSU? Just askin'.
Have you ever met and talked to Michael Beasley?
Are you aware of the contract one of the KSU assistants received?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:39pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupneff View Post
That can't be a legitimate article, can it? Sure, the really bad stuff was apparently said off the record, but even Self's comments make him sound worse than almost everyone else mentioned in this thread.
No it isn't real. No professional organization would put something like that in print.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I'm going to have to work on my lists because this is a debate I get into often. Could you name 10 players that Bobby Knight had on his three championship teams? I will give you a head start:

I. Thomas
S. Alford
K. Smart

If you can name 7 more (some are obvious from his first one), you are either from Indiana or a hoops junkie.

On the other hand, Roy Williams won two championships with like 9 first-round draft choices and Dean Smith had about the same. I mention those two coaches because the media loves them so much.
Scott May & Kent Benson
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I. Thomas
S. Alford
K. Smart

87 Dean Garret Daryl Thomas Joe Hillman Ricky Calloway (who transfered to Kansas) Todd Meier Steve Eyl Brian (?) Sloan
81 Randy Whitman Ted Kitchel Landon Turner Ray Tolbert Eric Kirchner

But those are just off the top of my head!
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Scott May & Kent Benson

A day doesn't go by that I don't mention Quinn Buckner and Bobby Wilkerson
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 04:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
A day doesn't go by that I don't mention Quinn Buckner and Bobby Wilkerson
Hey, you need to wait for the annual baseball thread just like the rest of us.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hey, you need to wait for the annual baseball thread just like the rest of us.
slow on uptake..........?????

In Chicago area he's called the mighty Quinn
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you ever met and talked to Michael Beasley?
Are you aware of the contract one of the KSU assistants received?
Did Martin recruit Beasely? And, I would expect all NCAA coaches sign contracts...not just one per staff.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:48am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
87 Dean Garret Daryl Thomas Joe Hillman Ricky Calloway (who transfered to Kansas) Todd Meier Steve Eyl Brian (?) Sloan
81 Randy Whitman Ted Kitchel Landon Turner Ray Tolbert Eric Kirchner

But those are just off the top of my head!
Are you from Indiana?

At any rate, I think most would agree it is easier to remember: James Worthy, Michael Jordan, Brad Dougherty, Eric Montross, George Lynch, etc.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Did Martin recruit Beasely? And, I would expect all NCAA coaches sign contracts...not just one per staff.
Obviously, you are more worried about being a smart a$$ than understanding what I'm saying.

1. Beasley suited up during Martin's watch. If I need to slow down for you I will.
2. Yes, all assistants sign contracts, but not like this.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Obviously, you are more worried about being a smart a$$ than understanding what I'm saying.

1. Beasley suited up during Martin's watch. If I need to slow down for you I will.
I'll agreet he contract looks fishy, but you didn't answer his question about who recruited Beasley. I'm assuming, based on timing, that Beasley was recruited and signed under Huggins. When was Hill's contract signed? Seems to me that falls on the AD, assuming the deal was done before Martin arrived.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 09:06am.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are hundreds of players that play for a new coach who were recruited by a former coach. Was this the case with Beasely?

As far as Hill's contract is concerned, I didn't read anything in that article that overtly stated KSU's AD did anything unethical. Is Hill overpaid? The argument can easily be made. In the end, it looks like Hill brokered a heckuva deal for himself. If that is all this is, then it's nothing more than sour grapes. If there is inproprieties involved with the recruiting of Beasely on the part of Hill and KSU, then there is a problem.