The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Embarrassing travel play

Pat Driscoll isn't going to be happy when he sees the video of the traveling that he allowed a player from Seton Hall to get away with right in front of him during the 1st half today.
Jay Bilas remarked about it and even had the TV crew call up a replay to show the footwork. The player took about six total steps while moving both foot as he twisted and turned in progressing perhaps eight feet sideways.

It was one of the worst uncalled traveling violations that I have seen at the NCAA level.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Pat Driscoll isn't going to be happy when he sees the video of the traveling that he allowed a player from Seton Hall to get away with right in front of him during the 1st half today.
Jay Bilas remarked about it and even had the TV crew call up a replay to show the footwork. The player took about six total steps while moving both foot as he twisted and turned in progressing perhaps eight feet sideways.

It was one of the worst uncalled traveling violations that I have seen at the NCAA level.
That is saying something because they let a LOT of traveling violations go in D1 basketball. That is my one complaint about officiating in college basketball.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

If you check ESPN360 and watch the play, you will agree that this was is really blatant.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

More than this one?

Quote:
If you check ESPN360 and watch the play, you will agree that this was is really blatant.
This is hard to beat

YouTube - Duke travel. How many steps? I count 12!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
OMG, I had not seen this one. I would hate to be the Trail official and see this one on film.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
That is saying something because they let a LOT of traveling violations go in D1 basketball. That is my one complaint about officiating in college basketball.
Amen! Especially on the catch. I cringe everytime I see a player catch a pass on one foot, jump off that one foot and either (a) land on two feet (so far so good) and then immediately pivot before starting the dribble; or (b) land on one foot and then bring the other foot down. Traveling on the catch happens a lot in college basketball. I guess I just need to get over it.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
One of our all time favorites. Pops up at least annually.

If I recall, there's one of Dan Marjle in the pros that is also really bad..... (although, on this forum, I'm not sure if a travel in the NBA counts.)
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

If I recall, there's one of Dan Marjle in the pros that is also really bad..... (although, on this forum, I'm not sure if a travel in the NBA counts.)
Another Duke one. Jon Scheyer is from our area and they say he can walk on water, I guess the hardwood too.

YouTube - Duke's Jon Scheyer walks 3+ times but refs swallow whistle
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

YouTube - Worst Travel Ever! (Dan Majerle)

He could have taken his opponent out for drinks and romance after dancing with him like that ...
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
YouTube - Worst Travel Ever! (Dan Majerle)

He could have taken his opponent out for drinks and romance after dancing with him like that ...
Thanks for posting the link Amesman (darn security folks at the office won't allow us access to YouTube....)
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Another one occurred at the Spring Center in KC yesterday during the Nebraska/Missouri game of the B12 tournament.

Nebraska shooter takes a transition pass from the mid court area, never takes a dribble and runs into a 3 point fg attempt....that went in.

NU player took like 4 or 5 choppy steps. Couldn't believe my eyes!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the play occurs at approx. the 26:20 mark of the replay on espn360.com

not good...
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
the play occurs at approx. the 26:20 mark of the replay on espn360.com

not good...
Maybe he thought it would be a game interrupter?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I dont know if you have ever gone to a D1 camp at all, but one of the primary mantras that is passed on about travelling is to not call the ones that are very questionable (they eschew upon you to call only the obvious). the reason I have been told is that, especially at the mens level, the footwork can be so quick that there is a reasonable amount of chance that we can be wrong.

travels look much different in real time and on TV, and with replays. I do think this is one of the hardest calls to get right as officials especially at the higher levels. Judging ball and pivot foot in real time is very tough and unless you are 100% sure as an official on the court you cannot make the call.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:14pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I dont know if you have ever gone to a D1 camp at all, but one of the primary mantras that is passed on about travelling is to not call the ones that are very questionable (they eschew upon you to call only the obvious).
That should be the mindset at all levels of play. If you have to rewind it several times to validate that it was there, then it is a GI.