The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Foul Away from Ball

I have a question from a situation that occurred in a game today:

The offensive team shoots a 3-pointer and makes it while at the same time a foul occurs under the basket against the defense. The shooter was not involved in the foul.

What is the correct NCAA rule on this particular play and does the NBA have a different rule on it?

We awarded the 3 point basket (obviously) and awarded one free throw to the offensive player who got fouled under the basket.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 07:23am
In Memoriam

NCAA/NFHS- Count the basket. The number of free throws awarded is based on the bonus situation i.e. either one-and-one or two shots. If the team fouled was not in the bonus yet, they get a throw-in at the closest spot to where the foul occurred.

NBA- no idea but I think that it is different.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avj10 View Post
I have a question from a situation that occurred in a game today:

The offensive team shoots a 3-pointer and makes it while at the same time a foul occurs under the basket against the defense. The shooter was not involved in the foul.

What is the correct NCAA rule on this particular play and does the NBA have a different rule on it?

We awarded the 3 point basket (obviously) and awarded one free throw to the offensive player who got fouled under the basket.
JR gave you the NCAA/NFHS rule, which is to handle the foul just as you normally would in any other situation in which the foul is committed by a member of a team not in control of the ball.

What you did was apply the NBA rule. The NBA counts the basket and awards the fouled player one FT. I guess you watch too much NBA TV.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Reason #1227 not to watch the NBA: it screws up your rules knowledge.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 12:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Reason #1227 not to watch the NBA: it screws up your rules knowledge.
Reason #1228 - Rasheed Wallace might be in the game.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Reason #1228 - Rasheed Wallace might be in the game.
watching Rasheed Wallace play is exactly like watching a car race...you watch it for the accidents! i don't really care who wins or loses, i just want to see when and how Rasheed loses it (I don't think anyone will ever really know why he does it...)
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
watching Rasheed Wallace play is exactly like watching a car race...you watch it for the accidents! i don't really care who wins or loses, i just want to see when and how Rasheed loses it (I don't think anyone will ever really know why he does it...)
Because he's an overpaid child whose emotional maturity was stunted from being the object of hero-worship and being surrounded by sycophants.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 01:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Because he's an overpaid child whose emotional maturity was stunted from being the object of hero-worship and being surrounded by sycophants.
Or maybe he's just an azzhole...

You never know though. Away from the game he may be the greatest guy in the world. Sooooo.....not knowing him, I'd restrict the parameters of his azzholiness to occurring during games.