The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Player Intentionally Runs Into Coach

NBA (yeah, I know, my son came down and told me to switch channels and watch this play)

Hawks 97, Mavs 95 1:47 to go.

Hawks coach is at his bench area coaching. He’s motioning and waving his players around. Jason Kidd is coming down the court and crosses the Division Line and is taking the ball down the near sideline. Altanta Coach appears to be a ½ step on the court and sees Kidd coming towards him and backs off the court. Kidd intentionally comes by the Coach, sticks out his elbow and hits the Coach and loses his balance.

TWEET!

Refs confer. T on the Hawks Coach, in spite of the obvious initiating contact by Kidd because the Coach was on the floor or just off of it. Big discussion. Mavs make the T and get the ball back. Game eventually goes into OT (sorry Padgett).

Anyone ever had anything like that before? Really bizarre as Kid purposefully through out his elbow to draw contact. Hopefully it will make ESPN or Youtube.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Saw the play. As soon as I saw Kidd accelerating towards the sideline, I knew what he was trying to do. There certainly is a case for the technical to be called.

294. Player A1 attempts a three-point field goal directly in front of Team B’s bench. A coach/player/trainer of Team B, who is seated on the bench, makes physical contact with Player A1. The official rules that the contact was: (1) accidental or (2) intentional. What is the ruling?

In (1) and (2), an unsportsmanlike conduct technical foul shall be called. If the field goal attempt is unsuccessful, three points shall be awarded Player A1. Following the free throw attempt, the ball shall be awarded to Team B on the baseline. The same rules would apply if someone seated on the bench throws any object toward the player or ball during a field goal attempt.
RULE 2 - SECTION III
RULE 12A - SECTION V - a

I'd be interested if that's how the NBA wants the particular play to be judged. Wouldn't be surprised to see the play on Making The Call With Ronnie Nunn.

Now I've never seen it before. I doubt you'd see a kid with the wherewithal to try that.

Last edited by APG; Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 09:51pm.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Saw the play. As soon as I saw Kidd accelerating towards the sideline, I knew what he was trying to do. There certainly is a case for the technical to be called.

294. Player A1 attempts a three-point field goal directly in front of Team B’s bench. A coach/player/trainer of Team B, who is seated on the bench, makes physical contact with Player A1. The official rules that the contact was: (1) accidental or (2) intentional. What is the ruling?

In (1) and (2), an unsportsmanlike conduct technical foul shall be called. If the field goal attempt is unsuccessful, three points shall be awarded Player A1. Following the free throw attempt, the ball shall be awarded to Team B on the baseline. The same rules would apply if someone seated on the bench throws any object toward the player or ball during a field goal attempt.
RULE 2 - SECTION III
RULE 12A - SECTION V - a

I'd be interested if that's how the NBA wants the particular play to be judged. Wouldn't be surprised to see the play on Making The Call With Ronnie Nunn.

Now I've never seen it before. I doubt you'd see a kid with the wherewithal to try that.
your scenario and what happened are apples to oranges - one talks about a shot attempt and the OP there is no shot attempt. But I can see how the officials could fall back on the reasoning from this to back them in their decision.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 11:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
your scenario and what happened are apples to oranges - one talks about a shot attempt and the OP there is no shot attempt. But I can see how the officials could fall back on the reasoning from this to back them in their decision.
I'd call it tangerines and oranges. Close enough to use the precedent, but far enough to be wary about it.

Personally, if the coach is off the court when Kidd touches him, I'd let it go; or call a T for flopping.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 07:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Film of the incident from several angles.......and explanation in article.

Dallas Mavericks vs. Atlanta Hawks - Recap - February 26, 2010 - ESPN

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Feb 27, 2010 at 07:36am.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Saw the play on Sports Center; while he may have been off the court, he was still way out of the coaching box when Kidd got there, and he was only barely off the court. Tough call. Something to watch for in 7th grade AAU games now.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'd call it tangerines and oranges. Close enough to use the precedent, but far enough to be wary about it.

Personally, if the coach is off the court when Kidd touches him, I'd let it go; or call a T for flopping.
Or it might be a pretty easy OOB?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Person, Place, Or Thing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Or it might be a pretty easy OOB?
Be careful here. I'm not familiar with NBA rules, but the NFHS differentiates between a player touching an object out of bounds (out of bounds violation) and touching a person (player, substitute, coach, official, fan) out of bounds (no violation).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Be careful here. I'm not familiar with NBA rules, but the NFHS differentiates between a player touching an object out of bounds (out of bounds violation) and touching a person (player, substitute, coach, official, fan) out of bounds (no violation).
You're right, and I was thinking of my own possible calls which will never include NBA rules! However, it's hard to imagine a player intentionally touching an object or person that is OOB, and then flopping, without some part of him touching OOB.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

You mean people actually watch the NBA?

I have no use for that league. I won't even watch highlights on Sportscenter.