The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

1000th point

NFHS

It is agreed upon before the game by both coaches that when Team A's #12 reaches her 1000th point the game will be stopped and she will be recognized. About 10 minutes into the game she scores her 5th point of the game, and 1000th of her career. The horn sounds and she is recognized. the entire episode takes about 1 minute after which we resume play. No problem so far
About 8 minutes into the second half team B's coach asks for, and is granted a time out. an assistant asks the scorer how many time outs the other team has. He thought Team A should have been charged with a time out for the 1000 point ceremony. I said no, they would not be charged a time out because that is not something we had talked about before the game. Anyone else had this situation? What have you done?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

"Official's time out, coach. I had to tie my shoe. Let's go."
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

It is agreed upon before the game by both coaches that when Team A's #12 reaches her 1000th point the game will be stopped and she will be recognized. About 10 minutes into the game she scores her 5th point of the game, and 1000th of her career. The horn sounds and she is recognized. the entire episode takes about 1 minute after which we resume play. No problem so far
About 8 minutes into the second half team B's coach asks for, and is granted a time out. an assistant asks the scorer how many time outs the other team has. He thought Team A should have been charged with a time out for the 1000 point ceremony. I said no, they would not be charged a time out because that is not something we had talked about before the game. Anyone else had this situation? What have you done?
When I was a senior in high school, one of our guards was injured for the entire year. On Senior Night, it was apparently agreed on for him to take the "jump ball", so he could be honored for his contributions to the program.

Point is, if both coaches agree to something ceremonious to honor a player like that, who are we to say no? This is all about the kids anyway, right?

Last edited by bas2456; Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 08:25am.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
When I was a senior in high school, one of our guards was injured for the entire year. On Senior Night, it was apparently agreed on for him to take the "jump ball", so he could be honored for his contributions to the program.

Point is, if both coaches agree to something ceremonious like that to honor a player like that, who are we to say no? This is all about the kids anyway, right?
Sorry to quote myself, but I just thought of something else.

What would you do in this situation?

A1 needs 5 points for 1,000 in her career. With 25 seconds left in a tie game, she scores her 5th point to give her team the lead by two. Say Team B has no timeouts left. Are you stopping the game then?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:

A1 needs 5 points for 1,000 in her career. With 25 seconds left in a tie game, she scores her 5th point to give her team the lead by two. Say Team B has no timeouts left. Are you stopping the game then?
If agreed upon by both coachs before the game, yes. If not, no.

Put the onus where it belongs. If someone wants to whine, it's "hey, you agreed to it."
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I ask the coaches when the subject is first mentioned whether we will stop whenever the points are scored, or only if this happens in the first three quarters, or there will be a ceremony at the next natural stop (violation or foul or TO ..), etc.

Get it clear up front.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

If I'm the B Coach and have not timeouts and A stops the game for the agreed to ceremony, I am very thankful and gather my folks together and do what I need to do.....while A goea about their business.

Better question is, what do you let the A Coach get away with in the same situation? Do they get to huddle?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 10:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

Depends on the point spread.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If agreed upon by both coachs before the game, yes. If not, no.

Put the onus where it belongs. If someone wants to whine, it's "hey, you agreed to it."
That is how we are directed to do it in our state. Both coaches must agree.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 12:23pm
M.A.S.H.

I've had it happen twice.

Coaches let us know before the game. When it was reached, the horn sounded and play the killed. When the announcement was over, play continued with the other team inbounding the ball with no pressure.

Pretty simple.

KJ: I'd like to officiate a game with a coach who wouldn't agree... that'd be interesting.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I had this once while coaching. Christmas tournament final, and one of my stars is 25 points away. She averaged about 14 so it seemed unlikely, plus our next game was at home which is the best place to do it. But just in case, I discussed it with the opposing coach and the officials. End of regulation and it is 46-46 and my star has 21 points. First trip down she scores. I turn to the clock guy who is also the host AD and give him the "cut it" sign and he nods. After a couple empty trips, she scores again to put us up 50-46 with maybe 1:30 left, and that's 1,000. After a couple more possessions there is a timeout and he makes an announcement. The parents save the flowers until after the game, which we won 55-48.

To make up for it, we honored her before the next game, and then again during it when she got her 1,000th rebound.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Do we all forget that this is a kid's game and most high school players never get close to 1000 points and if we can't stop the game for one minute what does that say about us as a society. It is all about sportsmanship...but that is a word that has been lost in/on most gyms, field, and diamonds!!!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Do we all forget that this is a kid's game and most high school players never get close to 1000 points and if we can't stop the game for one minute what does that say about us as a society.
1. No one here objects to stopping the game.

2. I don't think it says anything in particular about our society one way or the other.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Do we all forget that this is a kid's game and most high school players never get close to 1000 points and if we can't stop the game for one minute what does that say about us as a society. It is all about sportsmanship...but that is a word that has been lost in/on most gyms, field, and diamonds!!!
Shouldn't you be telling both opposing head coachs this, and not us?

It's got dick-all to do with the officials. and we sureasheck shouldn't be lectured for something that we have nothing to do with. We enforce sportsmanship under the rules that we are given. We're doing our job. We can't make up our own rules to indiscriminately stop games though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 01:34pm.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no problem with honoring kids for their accomplishments. I said earlier, it's all about the kids.

I think there are some logistical issues that go along with when the ceremony takes place that must be ironed out before hand. I like the idea of stopping the game only if the accomplishment happens in the first three quarters.