The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question Player runs down sideline out of bounds

I can't find the play in the case book. could someone please tell me where I can find the penalty for a thrower not going directly to the court after a throw-in. My partner had this call the other night and He just called a violation. Sounded good to me but I was not sure. Coach didn't say anything. Afterward I wondered if we should have given a delay warning. Rule and case book article please. I'll hang up and listen, thanks.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

10-3-3 Delay Returning

10-3-3 Player Technical: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

10.3.3 Situation A: A1 has ball out of bounds for a throwin. A1 completes the throwin to A2 and then purposely delays his/her return by taking four or five steps along the endline prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set by A3 and A4. A1 gets return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for goal. Ruling: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposely delaying his/her return to the court following a throwin. A1's movement out of bounds along the endline was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in a more advantageous position.

Also, I do not believe that this is one of the four situations that warrant a delay warning: contact with free thrower/huddle, interferring with ball following a goal, not having the court ready for play (water on court), and boundary line violation (see below).

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 02:32pm.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
My partner had this call the other night and He just called a violation.
The usual confusion......

It's a violation to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. Rule 9-3-3. Iow, you go OOB illegally.

It's a technical foul if you delay coming back in-bounds after being legally OOB. Rule 10-3-3.

Different calls for different situations.