The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Comment

I was watching a HS VG game the other night. Reff calls a blocking foul and the visiting coach immediately jumps up off the bench. After reff reports foul, I see a conversation between the two. He explains what he saw and the coach finally sits down. At halftime I go in the reff room and asked him about the conversation. He told me that he explained to the coach what he saw and why he made the call. The visiting coach then said, "well I respectfully disagree, that was a bad call!" He said, "ok!" Seemed like a reasonable coach and I liked her choice of words. I've gotten plenty of I disagree with... .... but I've never gotten the respectfully part. It must be his age? (He's about 10 years older than me.)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 07:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
The visiting coach then said, "well I respectfully disagree, that was a bad call!"
"Coach, you're certainly entitled to your opinion - no matter how moronic it is. Now sit down and shut up before I smack you upside the head with a frying pan. Thank you."

See - you can be respectful, too.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"Coach, you're certainly entitled to your opinion - no matter how moronic it is. Now sit down and shut up before I smack you upside the head with a frying pan. Thank you."

Thanks,
I think I have her next weekend, I'll work on quoting that!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Starving? Know I am!

Quote:
I was watching a HS VG game the other night. Reff calls a blocking foul and the visiting coach immediately jumps up off the bench. After reff reports foul, I see a conversation between the two. He explains what he saw and the coach finally sits down. At halftime I go in the reff room and asked him about the conversation. He told me that he explained to the coach what he saw and why he made the call. The visiting coach then said, "well I respectfully disagree, that was a bad call!" He said, "ok!" Seemed like a reasonable coach and I liked her choice of words. I've gotten plenty of I disagree with... .... but I've never gotten the respectfully part. It must be his age? (He's about 10 years older than me.)
Hey I just watched the counter on posts and views. It took 7 minutes for 11 people to view my last post. Could it be that the members and guests viewing are hungry for some new basketball situations and conversation pieces to satisfy our lust for new or appealing information? I'm going over to play racquetball for an hour and a half to get my mind off basketball for awhile. This weekend I have my last 4 games of the year to officiate so its going to be a downer after that!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 08:49pm
In Time Out

reminds me of a Dilbert comic when the employed could insult their boss if they said, "with all due respect"
take notes coaches. could be the start of a new trend. With all due respect, my blind grandmother can ref better than you."
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
reminds me of a Dilbert comic when the employed could insult their boss if they said, "with all due respect"
take notes coaches. could be the start of a new trend. With all due respect, my blind grandmother can ref better than you."
It's in the Geneva Convention.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
"Hey, Loudwhistle. Why is that frying pan in your equipment bag?"
"Padgett said I needed one."
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
"Hey, Loudwhistle. Why is that frying pan in your equipment bag?"
"Padgett said I needed one."
Well, anything Padgett says to do I do. Its always worked for me before. I'm still waiting for more details on the spanking situation.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:52pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Well, anything Padgett says to do I do.
Padgett says to send him your bank account and PIN numbers.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
This was one we used back in my Army days, 'with due respect sir, that is a bad decision and I will not do it'; used twice, accepted twice (but then again I was an MP and we are credited with having smarts.

Also had a coach ask me if he gets a T for thinking something, I said no, he said 'I think you are the worst referee I have ever seen'. Full credit to him, no T, a friendly smile from me, and we now get on fine (up until then I had a lot of trouble with him).

Life is sweet, be nice, be respectful and it is even better.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's in the Geneva Convention.
Thanks Ricky. That's exactly where I went with that one too.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

No, wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

You guys are confusing me.

She's entitled to her opinion, but she's not entittled to express it Right? And then to offer what sounds like an explanation, "you're certainly entitled to your opinion - no matter how moronic it is." No, hell no!

Why blah, blah, blah, when one blah suffices? I believe trhe correct verbal command would simply be, "Sit down and shut up before I whack the crap outa you beezy!"
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
but she's not entittled to express it
Would you have said "entittled" if it had been a male coach?
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

"Also had a coach ask me if he gets a T for thinking something, I said no, he said 'I think you are the worst referee I have ever seen'. Full credit to him, no T, a friendly smile from me, and we now get on fine (up until then I had a lot of trouble with him)."

I had a fellow official tell me the same story except the coach told him, "Well, then, I think you suck." He said he might have whacked him, but he had lost his whistle laughing. It was a coach he had work with several times and had a good relationship with.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

No T for thinking it but once it out of your mouth your saying it thats what gets you whacked.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!