The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Best coach comment of the weekend

Well, I finished my five games in a row shift on Saturday and followed it up with two games early Sunday morning and I'm still able to use both knees. There were a lot of memorable moments, but this one stood out.

During an 8th grade boys game, one of the coaches yelled not once, not twice, but at least five times, "That's a reach over the back". I choose not to say anything since it was so funny and after that many games, I really appreciated the good laugh.

Oh yeah - one coach twice yelled, "That's a...a...a...whatchamacallit!" I told him I didn't know the signal for that.

Another coach requested and was granted four of his timeouts in the first half. When he used up his fifth early in Q3 and I informed him that was his last one, he was shocked. He said he thought he got five per half. Yeah - that works.

Finally, one coach would not believe my partner and me that you didn't shoot offensive fouls any more. The other team was called for illegal screens a few times late in the game when both teams were in the bonus. This coach told my partner that was a "bogus rule". I told the coach that I had a rulebook in my bag and we could look it up. I said I would bet him that we were right, but if we weren't, I'd give him $100. However, if we were, he'd have to wash my car. He didn't take me up on the bet, darn it. My car could have used it.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's amazing what some coaches don't know about the game. Come to think of it it's also amazing what officials don't know about the game.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Oh yeah - one coach twice yelled, "That's a...a...a...whatchamacallit!" I told him I didn't know the signal for that.
Here's the signal, demonstrated by a global warming expert who was asked if it's going to rain tomorrow.

Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Friday night we worked a JV/V girls double header with three whistles.

Midway through the third quarter, I'm C opposite the visitor's bench for free throws. The varsity coach, acting assistant for the JV game, looks at me and asks if I've been here the whole game; says she didn't realize there were three of us. Then, she turns the appropriate shade of red.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Friday night we worked a JV/V girls double header with three whistles.

Midway through the third quarter, I'm C opposite the visitor's bench for free throws. The varsity coach, acting assistant for the JV game, looks at me and asks if I've been here the whole game; says she didn't realize there were three of us. Then, she turns the appropriate shade of red.
So... you didn't have an afternoon snack? (kinda obtuse, I admit .... so you were swallowing your whistle?)
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Small school V Girls game Friday night. Towards the end of a very close game (home team lost), visitors are inbounding the ball and A1 throws it off of B1 and jumps in and grabs the ball before getting fouled.

After the game, we head for the locker room (teacher's lounge) and it's locked. Fans are walking by us on their way out. The R heads back to the gym to get the home ***'t coach to let us in since the AD can't be found. ***'t coach says he'll let him in the office if he'll answer a question first. R refuses and says he needs to let us in first. Coach agrees and follows R to the office where the AD is arriving to open the door (insisting it had been open, which wouldn't have been good, either). Then, coach follows R into the office and asks his question regarding the above mentioned play, wanting to know if it is legal.

When the R affirms that it's legal, coach responds, "But no one else had touched the ball after it hit our player." The R simply says, "I gave you the answer," and turns to walk into the actual dressing room (the nurse's office inside the principals' administration suite.)

They sometimes just don't get it, on several levels.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So... you didn't have an afternoon snack? (kinda obtuse, I admit .... so you were swallowing your whistle?)
Not at all. I think it was more likely she didn't notice there were three of us rather than me in particular. I had certainly made plenty of calls. For argument's sake, you can assume I'd called at least 3 held balls.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not at all. I think it was more likely she didn't notice there were three of us rather than me in particular. I had certainly made plenty of calls. For argument's sake, you can assume I'd called at least 3 held balls.
So you don't think I argue enough with Dan and JR? You wanna pick a fight, too? Fine, I'll assume you called 3 held balls. You wanna make something of it?

Oh, wait, I'm mis-construing your use of the word argue. Sorry. I've got to remember to use my dictionary more often...
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's on the signal chart right next to the signal for "that's gotta be somethun!"
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It's on the signal chart right next to the signal for "that's gotta be somethun!"
I had one of those last Thursday night in a GJV game. He was right, it was "somethun," but I couldn't remember finding that "somethun" is illegal based on the rules.

Anyone know what rule "somethun" falls under? Must be rule 11.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had one of those last Thursday night in a GJV game. He was right, it was "somethun," but I couldn't remember finding that "somethun" is illegal based on the rules.

"Ugly ain't illegal, coach."
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

11-2. 11-1 is "Don't be a plumber."
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:58pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Another coach requested and was granted four of his timeouts in the first half. When he used up his fifth early in Q3 and I informed him that was his last one, he was shocked. He said he thought he got five per half. Yeah - that works.
Our CYO JV Boys Coach moved up from coaching the Hoopers (Grades 3 & 4 instructional team) to our JV boys (4th-6th grade) and asked me last week how many timeouts he got per half. (The Hoopers league uses different timing and period rules.) He seemed suprised that the timeouts were on a per-game basis.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually, it's 2-3.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Well, I finished my five games in a row shift on Saturday and followed it up with two games early Sunday morning and I'm still able to use both knees. There were a lot of memorable moments, but this one stood out.

During an 8th grade boys game, one of the coaches yelled not once, not twice, but at least five times, "That's a reach over the back". I choose not to say anything since it was so funny and after that many games, I really appreciated the good laugh.

Finally, one coach would not believe my partner and me that you didn't shoot offensive fouls any more. The other team was called for illegal screens a few times late in the game when both teams were in the bonus. This coach told my partner that was a "bogus rule". I told the coach that I had a rulebook in my bag and we could look it up. I said I would bet him that we were right, but if we weren't, I'd give him $100. However, if we were, he'd have to wash my car. He didn't take me up on the bet, darn it. My car could have used it.
He must have envisioned when this guy washed the car.