The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Moronic coach comment of the day

In a 8th grade boys rec game yesterday, I had a coach tell me I couldn't T his player because "it was halftime and you can only give a technical when the game is going on."

I had given the T because he jumped up and snapped the rim while warming up.

I said to the coach, "what rule book are you using - the one from the planet Mars?"

Needless to say, the T stood.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I said to the coach, "what rule book are you using - the one from the planet Mars?"
Obviously. Girls use the Venutian rule book.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
In a 8th grade boys rec game yesterday, I had a coach tell me I couldn't T his player because "it was halftime and you can only give a technical when the game is going on."

Mark:

You will love this story. Dary "The Preacher" Long and I are supposed to go go Indianapolis to officicate the Hoosier State Games Girls' 13U Division in May 1999; the tournament assignor was and still is a friend of ours from Florida (Don't ask how he was assigning the games from Florida, LOL.). Daryl and a last minute death in the family and so I officiated with a relatively new official.

First game of the day on Saturday morning, we have the home town favorite team. I had seen this team play the night before and its star player had nice big bandaids covering her earrings. And sure enough, my first game of the day on Saturday morning included the home town favorites. I quietly approached the girl and asked her if she was wearing earrings under the bandaides. And of course she answered in the afirmative. I informed her that we (the game officials could not make her not wear her earrings but she could not play if she was wearing them. Of course she complained that the officials let her play the night before, and I told her that we were not last night's officials and then went back the the Scorer's Table.

My partner and I had been at the Table more than 90 seconds when her coach came to me complaining that I had no right to tell his player what she could and not do with her earrings. I politely informed him that the rules prohibited her from wearing jewelery and that we had told her that she did not have to take them out, but if she choose not to remove them she could not play.

Of course he took exception to my explanation and told me that he thought I was in idiot if I thought I could keep her from playing as long as she had her earrings covered with bandaides. I told him that I may well be an idiot, but his opponents were going to start the game shooting two free throws and then get the ball for a throw-in at the division line and that he had lost the coaching box for the entire game. He asked why, and I told him he had just committed a TF for calling me an idiot. The then told me that I could not T him before the game started. I informed him I could and had just did. At that point he said that the next thing I was going to tell him that I could eject him from the game before it even started. I told him that I could to which he replied that I was a bigger idiot than he thought I was, to which I replied, that he could leave the court right now because he was ejected. He did not believe but when I told his assistant the if he did not get him out of here the other team would win the game by forfeit. He left the building at that point.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Of course he took exception to my explanation and told me that he thought I was in idiot if I thought I could keep her from playing as long as she had her earrings covered with bandaides. I told him that I may well be an idiot, but his opponents were going to start the game shooting two free throws and then get the ball for a throw-in at the division line and that he had lost the coaching box for the entire game. He asked why, and I told him he had just committed a TF for calling me an idiot. The then told me that I could not T him before the game started. I informed him I could and had just did. At that point he said that the next thing I was going to tell him that I could eject him from the game before it even started. I told him that I could to which he replied that I was a bigger idiot than he thought I was, to which I replied, that he could leave the court right now because he was ejected. He did not believe but when I told his assistant the if he did not get him out of here the other team would win the game by forfeit. He left the building at that point.

MTD, Sr.
Gotta love some of those AAU coaches, don't you?

Good job taking care of Bidness, Mark.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Prior to that game, I worked two with Juulie. The first one went OK, even though one of the coaches couldn't understand the AP rule, despite the fact that I explained it to him three times.

In the second game, I T'd up an assistant coach. A few minutes later, Juulie T'd up the head coach from the same team. That was more like it.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

What a moron!
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:

Hey Mark thats a good one.
Check this one out I had in a high school girls playoff game back on Feb 15, 2007. We had an injured player from the home team and the coach was beckoned out on the court. The player that was hurt was to shoot free throws. Some the coach subs his replacement player in and we continue play from the line. The visiting teams coach was like " Wait Wait!" I'm supposed to choose the sub you can't do that. My partner and I looked at each other and she went over and told the coach what the rule was. He probably thought we were crazy. Then we had a dead ball situation and a lady sitting all by herself was said to me, Ref isn't he supposed to choose a sub. I was like no that's not what the rule says. So we went on. We had a pretty good game the the visiting team let the home team come back from 15pts at the half. The home won by 4 pts.

Tommy
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

The opposing coach gets to pick the sub from the other team to shoot the FT's.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

OK shoot me now. I used to coach. I coached for 11 years.

I never owned a rules book.

I never knew the rules changed....and you should have seen how cocky I was when I walked into the class for refereeing.....BTW, I coached from 7th grade to high school Varsity.

I'd bet if you polled coaches, less than 10% ever looked at a rules book. ( high school )
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Excellent Job

MTD, Sr.: Excellent job. Sounds like you kept your cool and at the same time gave the coach exactly what he deserved.

I'm also pleased to see that you don't mind being a member of the "fashion police". Some members of my local board, especially some of the more veteran members, seem to want to ignore that part of the rule book, because it has, according to them, "nothing to do with the game of basketball".

I just finished reading the most recent issue of my IAABO magazine. It has an article about legal liability and negligence. What would have happened if you had allowed that player to wear the earrings under bandaids? What if she got hit in the ear with a ball and the earlobe became infected? What is the earring fell out, fell onto the court, and another player slipped on it and fell, resulting in a serious head injury? In our modern litigious society, anybody can sue anybody over just about anything. Even if you were not found negligent, which I'm not sure about, you would still have to go through the legal process, getting legal representation, spending time in court, etc., just because you thought that being a member of the "fashion police" had "nothing to do with the game of basketball" and proper officiating.

I applaud you. Excellent job on two counts, not letting the player get away with illegal equipement, and not letting the coach get away with unsporting behavior.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting Coach's Comment

I was reffing a 8th grade boys Park and Rec league game a few weeks ago.

Early in the first quarter, there was some contact during a rebounding situation. The kid who got the rebound might have gotten hit in the back a little but it wasn't anything serious. He was able to secure the rebound just fine.

However, The coach of the team that got the rebound chirped: "Over the back, call the over the back".

I immediately stopped the game and told the coach "Hey, we don't need to ref the game" or something to that effect.

The coach seemed to have this surprised look and said something to the effect of "What? I can't ask you any questions?"

I guess his interpretation of "asking questions" is sort of different than mine.

BTW - I T'ed the coach up during out conversation because he didn't seem to grasp that I did not want him commenting on our reffing.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
The opposing coach gets to pick the sub from the other team to shoot the FT's.
Only in the NBA!
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
However, The coach of the team that got the rebound chirped: "Over the back, call the over the back".
"OK, coach - over the back. Now what do you want me to do since that doesn't mean anything?"

Then stare at his pants and puke on his shoes.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"OK, coach - over the back. Now what do you want me to do since that doesn't mean anything?"

Then stare at his pants and puke on his shoes.

I understand the "puke on his shoes" part but remind me again why we are to "stare at his pants"
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I understand the "puke on his shoes" part but remind me again why we are to "stare at his pants"
'Cause you can't mis-quote silence.