The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, I've only been at this for four years, but I really thought I'd heard just about everything there was to hear. But I was wrong!

I'm on lead, there's lots and lots of contact everywhere. Basically this was a controlled rugby scrum. We were letting a lot go, but then A2 comes up against a screen and just two handed shoves him right in the chest. Of course, I called it. Coach says, "What did he do?" This was a reasonable quetsions since he was probably screened out. I said, "He shoved him coach with two hands." And sort of demonstrated. He says, "But they're not allowed to block his path!" I have no idea what he meant.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 08:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - you know exactly what he meant. He meant he knows nothing about basketball. Couldn't you figure that out?

See what happens to you when you don't work with me.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me in a game - the dribbler claimed that the defender was setting an illegal (read - moving) screen [the screen was perfectly legal] when I called the dribbler for a push. I explained to the dribbler that, even if the screen is illegal, you can't hook the defender with your arm and toss him out of the way.

He ended up doing the same thing 3 times - three easy fouls, he sat on the bench.

Sometimes I wonder . . .
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

By the way Juulie, the proper signal for this foul is to cross your arms in an X shape. Hope you made that call, then the coach would really be beside himself.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I thought about it. But they had both been going at it pretty hot and heavy, and the foul-ee didn't fall on his kiester.

I did give the X in the game before, though. That was a two-handed shove in the back, and the foulee almost needed a neck brace. This league doesn't keep individual fouls, but we are instructed to sit kids if they get rough. I sat him.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sitting a kid....Reminds me of a situation that happened a few years back.

Player shoves kid in the back (7th and 8th graders). I call him for a foul. Player tells me that is not a foul. I tell him yes it is! Player starts talking back to me. I tell him to go sit down and cool off a bit. Coach starts yelling at me, You cant do that! (This is kind of an instructional league). I tell him what the other alternative could have been. He starts yelling at me, telling me that I could not do that. My comment back to him! " This is my court and I feel that was the best way to handle the situation."
Morale of the story! He is a Superior court judge for the state I live in! I sure hope I never hear the words from him! This is my court!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 10:42am

Here's one. I had a little kids game once where the score was about 6-2 in the fourth quarter. There's a pass thrown inside to a big kid who turns around and makes a shot to make it 6-4.

The coach/Dad gets excited and yells, "That's all day."

I thought it's the 5th basket of the game and the kids can barely get the ball up there so it was pretty funny.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

That is hilarious! It made me laugh out loud and I'm supposed to be doing homework!

The funniest thing is that I can picture a dad saying that to his child on the court.

Quote:
Originally posted by sj
Here's one. I had a little kids game once where the score was about 6-2 in the fourth quarter. There's a pass thrown inside to a big kid who turns around and makes a shot to make it 6-4.

The coach/Dad gets excited and yells, "That's all day."