The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In fact, I think this is pretty close to the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say, coach or not.

7th grade girls tonight. Straight NFHS rules. PBOA refs. First two were fine. Third game started fine, but about half-way through the first quarter a sub came in with tape wrapped around two fingers. At the first dead ball, I asked her if she had a splint under the tape and she said, "Of course! I've got a broken finger!!" Heavy scorn and disrespect in her voice. I said she couldn't play with the splint on and I went to the coach. He said all the usual stuff, "We've been playing with it all season" "We've never had a problem before" etc etc. It went on for a while, finally I said, "Coach, look, if someone gets hurt by that hard plastic, and I knew the splint was there, I'm legally liable. I can't take that chance." Now sit down for this one because you won't believe what he said next: "So if she plays without the splint and the finger gets re-broken, are you liable for that?!?"

After a long pause, I picked my jaw up off the floor and said, "Coach, why would you want her to play with a broken finger?" Sheez...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Kind of tells you what the coach's priority was, and it was not the welfare of his players. Let me see, teach, develop, be a mentor, I am sure that somewhere I will find where this kind of an atitude fits in. I love it when they tell me they have been allowed to do it before and you know the ref they had before who tells you that they did not allow it either!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
... "So if she plays without the splint and the finger gets re-broken, are you liable for that?!?"...
This coach was iratating enough, he could have pissed off Ghandi!

P.S. Nice job Rainmaker!