The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And you're still getting it wrong. Had nothing to do with gender. No different than if it were a 6' 9" official working with a 5' 5" official and Lee said "If I was the tall official...."
Yep, that's how I read it to.

Or, the bald official...
Or, the disheveled official...
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
No need to get sensitive, I can honestly not give a crap if someone wants to T here or not. You dont have to explain in words, pictures, music notes or smoke signals. I dont care.
The T question was secondary, but I'm sure you understood that. Your comment about the story being weak was made immediately after you said you didn't think the partner was undermining anyone, though. I therefore assumed I was inadequately explaining how, regardless of his intent (which was most likely "to get it right"), the result was he unwittingly undermined his partner's authority.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndEx View Post
the result was he unwittingly undermined his partner's authority.
I'm still not seeing this. Are you suggesting partner's shouldn't get together to discuss anything for fear it will "look bad"? Some coaches will try and use anything they can to try and get into the official's heads. That's just part of the game. I think it's overblowing it a bit to say that anyone's authority was undermined in this scenario.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Good question, and no, I'm not saying they shouldn't try to get it right for fear of anything. If he had come over immediately, it wouldn't have "looked" bad. Instead, he stood opposite the table and let her flesh it out with the coach for a little bit and only came over to question her after it was clear the coach wasn't to let it go. It was at least 15 seconds after her initial call before the T came over to offer help.

He came over, blew his whistle for everyone to see, then had a 5 second discussion with her before turning around and heading back opposite.

It looked like the coach's argument made him, from across the court, question his partner's judgment.

Now, the coach was a d1ckhead anyway, so you're probably right; he would have found something else.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

But you're still just guessing about why he came over and what he said, so the leap to "undermining an official's authority" seems overblown to me. Perhaps it was poor timing, perhaps not. I'm only arguing that no one's authority was undermined based on what you know and how you painted it.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
But you're still just guessing about why he came over and what he said, so the leap to "undermining an official's authority" seems overblown to me. Perhaps it was poor timing, perhaps not. I'm only arguing that no one's authority was undermined based on what you know and how you painted it.
Smitty, completely concur with you. In fact, I was always taught that this is exactly the way it should be done. If a non-calling official feels he/she has information about the call, they come to you and tell you what they saw. If you say you saw it differently, they go back and play on. Seems to me like this crew did exaclty that. What I am confused about in the OP is where it says the other official came across and "questioned" the call of the C. Do you know for sure he "questioned" her call, or simply came and said, "Here's what I saw..." and then got what the C called and returned to the game? If anything, from what I read in the OP, the only thing that COULD have been done differently was that the non-calling official could have come over earlier, but he may have delayed since the C was having a conversation with the coach (HTBT on that one).
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, normally I'd like to see the T come over immediately on this; but it's possible he wasn't looking when she signaled and didn't know what her call was.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Or maybe he came over to help her get away from the coach as their conversation may have been lasting too long in his opinion. We just don't know, so to speculate and go so far as to call it undermining is just not fair.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Or maybe he came over to help her get away from the coach as their conversation may have been lasting too long in his opinion. We just don't know, so to speculate and go so far as to call it undermining is just not fair.
I specifically stated his intent was not to undermine her; it was obvious to me he wanted to get the call right. It "looked" like the coach's continued questions made him ask her if she was sure of her call. Now that I think about it, you may be right, though.

Reviewing it in my head again, he may have used the quick conference as a way to confirm her call and get the ball back in play. My initial thought as I was watching was that she was allowing the coach way too much time to debate the call.

In the end, the chance of it appearing that way may well have been worth it to cut that conversation short.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's How People Refer To Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, that's how I read it to. Or, the bald official.
Or, the disheveled official.
How about, "the handsome official"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about, "the handsome official"?
Every time I see or use that word, I think of Ross Perot's running mate in 1992.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndEx View Post
This particular play happened on the opposite end of the court, so it wasn't even heard. I'd like to change scenario slightly, though, and ask.

Let's assume the play happened in front of the coach's bench again, and this time he yells across to the T on the other court, "You've got to help her out!" With the history of the previous play, where he's obviously not just appealing to another official but is instead making a direct comment about her competence; do you "just inbound the ball already?"
couple of thoughts....
#1 if any partner has addl. info. to share about a play, they MUST share it ON THE COURT (don't bring it back into the locker room! it does us no good there...). I have no problem w/ the partner coming in to talk w/ said official.
#2 how is the coach making a "direct comment about her competence"?
#3 the official simply pointed in the wrong direction...that happens...and when it does, you can expect to get a little grief/comment/hassle from the coach who thought he/she was getting the ball and now is not.
#4 how does a T fit the game here? the coach griped about two out of bounds calls...big deal...talk w/ him/her and get thru it....and simply inbound the ball already.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Every time I see or use that word, I think of Ross Perot's running mate in 1992.
Admiral Stockdale? A most unfortunate series of events there. The man's a true hero, both militarily and philosophically. Imagine: using Epictetus to improve the lot of POW's in the Hanoi Hilton! Genius!