The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Integrity in Professional Sports

I am NOT talking about the personal integrity of individual players (i.e. the "role model" issue). Instead, I'm talking about the integrity of the sport as a sport.

NFL: Did the Patriots cheat to win the Super Bowl with illegal video taping? Did they cheat to win other games with illegal video taping? Why did the commissioner engage in an obvious cover up by destroying the evidence? Does the commissioner's cover up taint the integrity of the NFL going forward?

MLB: Did the pretend commissioner conspire to look the other way while the integrity of the sport's most hallowed records were tainted with 'riod-juicing players as a way to re-generate fan interest after the strike year? Does this taint the integrity of MLB going forward?

NBA: Will there be a full investigation into the accusation of the fix being in on playoff games or will it be white washed by a commissioner who already knows the answer? Regardless of the official outcome of this, has the integrity of the NBA been tainted going forward by these accusations and by the actions of Tim Donaghy?

I don't know how many of you are fans of professional sports (I am a MLB fan; not so much the others), but, personally, I am very disturbed by the trend here.

The NBA, in particular, seems to be morphing into the Harlem Globetrotters (only using stereotypical Harlem players) vs the Washington Generals times 15. No one believes that the record of 13,000 and 6 between the Globetrotters and the Generals has any legitimacy at all. And, no one expects professional wresting to have any integrity as a sport. Yet people still buy tickets and watch for the entertainment in both cases.

Is that where big money professional sports is heading?
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I actually wrote a rant along the same lines on my website.

http://sabian.whispers.org/rants/pro_sports.html

I still like pro football, but almost all other "professional" sports are out for me, including baseball. Pro sports have deviated from "the heart of the game."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm, seems as if hockey is the only "pure" sport left among the big 4.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well I gave up on the NBA awhile ago. Two things seem to have influenced my perception. One being the "Jordan rules" and the other was,believe it or not, the lack of traveling calls. I also hated that we sent pros to the Olympics. There was something special about college kids against the world. Now it's just silly,rich,whiney, people. I couldn't tell you how many golds we have won in the last 3 Olympics.
NFL football is just so sanitized it bores me. I will admit to watching the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl this year but that was probably my longest extended watching of the NFL in awhile. When my next door neighbor,sweet lil old lady in her 70's, is trying to break down defenses for me it has finally been Starbucked to death for me.
Not much of a hockey fan so no opinion on that.

MLB still interests me. The steroids doesn't bother me that much. What really grates me is $5 hotdogs as the backup F4 is making 6 million a year. SO I try and ignore that and just go with the flow. Satellite radio has helped in that you get the home town announcers with their home town ads and kinda brings me to that place when I was kid...

I have been getting into small time college sports. Been a fan of the WAC and Mountain West football for awile. I go to Reno 3x a year or so and watch the Wolfack-Go REBELS- and also watch some decent 1AA ball a couple of times a year. Just enjoy smaller schools-not quite the same level of corruption as the bigger schools. Schools like UNR will actually kick players off the team for being at parties, not drinking and fighting but just being there. I can't remember the last time I sat down on a Saturday and watched a Big 10 or SEC game from start to finish but thats really geography cause I will watch a PAC 10 game....

Also every Friday night I find a local HS game and go and hang out. SO I get my football fix that way also.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I am NOT talking about the personal integrity of individual players (i.e. the "role model" issue). Instead, I'm talking about the integrity of the sport as a sport.

NFL: Did the Patriots cheat to win the Super Bowl with illegal video taping? Did they cheat to win other games with illegal video taping? Why did the commissioner engage in an obvious cover up by destroying the evidence? Does the commissioner's cover up taint the integrity of the NFL going forward?
Stupid rule, who cares! Maybe congress will continue to waste our money and come up with their normal inconclusive results after a year of hearings.

Quote:
MLB: Did the pretend commissioner conspire to look the other way while the integrity of the sport's most hallowed records were tainted with 'riod-juicing players as a way to re-generate fan interest after the strike year? Does this taint the integrity of MLB going forward?
Nothing worth seeing. A bunch of babies playing a child's game for megabucks, but whine and act more immature than Little Leaguers. Umpires who worry more about fashion and less about rules knowledge are not impressive. Owners with no balls are a joke. If there was any integrity in baseball it died with the Curt Flood issue.

If they were true baseball people, they would have told the federal government to stick their anti-trust exemption up their collective a$$es and held their ground. For that matter, they should do the same thing today with the steroid issue.

Quote:
NBA: Will there be a full investigation into the accusation of the fix being in on playoff games or will it be white washed by a commissioner who already knows the answer? Regardless of the official outcome of this, has the integrity of the NBA been tainted going forward by these accusations and by the actions of Tim Donaghy?
This hasn't been a sport for more than two decades. Again, a bunch of babies playing a childs game for more than their collective skills are worth. This is entertainment where the rules are tiered based upon popularity and income of each player. I have turned down more free NBA tickets than I can keep track. I'd rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters.

Quote:
I don't know how many of you are fans of professional sports (I am a MLB fan; not so much the others), but, personally, I am very disturbed by the trend here.

The NBA, in particular, seems to be morphing into the Harlem Globetrotters (only using stereotypical Harlem players) vs the Washington Generals times 15. No one believes that the record of 13,000 and 6 between the Globetrotters and the Generals has any legitimacy at all. And, no one expects professional wresting to have any integrity as a sport. Yet people still buy tickets and watch for the entertainment in both cases.

Is that where big money professional sports is heading?
If we are lucky, down the drain. Strikes in all sports did not change anyone's life. People found other sources of entertainment and ways to spend their hard-earned dollar. I know some will not believe this, but NASCAR has probably gained the most from the decline of field/arena pro sports. The marketing folks who onced scoffed at selling advertising on a car turning left started looking around and discovered NASCAR fans showed a higher level of product support than any other group. Now, they all fight to get their name somewhere on a car, track wall or even the pit crew's tool box.

Market shares for MLB, NBA and NHL have diminished over the past decade. The NFL has been holding on, but that's because they were only on twice a week. Look for their numbers to diminish now that they are routinely trying to expand the exposure. Yeah, putting more games on a network not carried by most cable companies on their basic level of programming will really work.

Kudos to the NHL owners a few years ago when they called the players' bluff and just cancelled the season. And unlike the lacrosse league this year, stuck to their guns and came back with a good product.

To answer the question, there is no integrity in professional sports as we know them today. You want to know why Team USA is so popular? For the same reason most NASCAR drivers are, they know where their bread is buttered and that is the folks in the stands. Thats why it would be a rarity to not be able to get an autograph from any of them.

This is of what the big time professionals have lost sight. The only autographs they worry about is theirs on a contract and the owner's on their check and the rest of the world be damned.

BTW, can we do a thread like this on entertainment folks like singers, actors, bands, etc?

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Jun 14, 2008 at 10:46am.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

One of ems easy, make steroids legal as properly managed.

So what? "Sacred records" set by guys who smoked cigs and drank before and after the game are being broken by true athletes who dedicate their mind body and soul to perfecting the art of their sport.

Hello, mcfly.. ya think???