The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 11:25pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs down The Definition Of Integrity Has No Integrity In It

A poster here claims regarding IR:

"There is simply no reason to slow down an already long game to review calls that umpires get right most of the time. The integrity of the umpires has never been questioned in any serious debate...calls that are missed cut both ways."

Wow, here I thought integrity included as its main ingredient making the best possible effort to be accurate. Not according to him, "IR has no place in baseball".

The real, underlying issue here has only to do with fractured egos, low self-esteem and umpires who are afraid that they will be shown exaclty as they are.

Crappy.

My belief is if you really, honestly believe you are good, then you will welcome review. If not, then hide behind your "integrity" excuse. But how about getting out of the way of umpires who would prefer to reward the game with accuracy and don't have these mountain high, self esteem issues as crutches.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Let me get this straight....

Are you purporting yourself to be absent any self-esteem issues? Then why must you post to try to prove certain individuals wrong?

Your posts have become tiresome. I shall now add you to MY ignore list.

Ahhhh... much better.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 03:27am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
I purport the opposite.

Self-esteem begins with having compassion for ourselves, understanding who we are as individuals. Then to forgive ourselves (and others) for we all are humans and we make mistakes. I am not at all absent.

Once you have accepted the premise that there is no need to be afraid of failing, that integrity is tied to honesty, your best umpiring days are in front of you.

IR challenges umpires, not their integrity, their self-esteem.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

"There is simply no reason to slow down an already long game to review calls that umpires get right most of the time. The integrity of the umpires has never been questioned in any serious debate...calls that are missed cut both ways."

Wow, here I thought integrity included as its main ingredient making the best possible effort to be accurate. Not according to him, "IR has no place in baseball".

The real, underlying issue here has only to do with fractured egos, low self-esteem and umpires who are afraid that they will be shown exaclty as they are.

Crappy.

My belief is if you really, honestly believe you are good, then you will welcome review. If not, then hide behind your "integrity" excuse. But how about getting out of the way of umpires who would prefer to reward the game with accuracy and don't have these mountain high, self esteem issues as crutches.
Review (of umpire's performance by a qualified reviewer or group): Yes.

Instant Review (in a panacea to "get the call right"): Generally no.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

"A poster here claims..."

The "Piano Man" is definitely a poster, likely is a posuer, claims to be an umpire, but comes off like a troll.

Jimmy's well-known on the softball board, where he commonly posts bizarre rule interpretations and espouses strange mechanics, has his opinions refuted by dozens of other posts, refuses to accept that the majority might be right, then digs in his heels and defends his indefensible positions to the death.

Keep him engaged here, guys! That should keep him busy and allow him less time to post his drivel over on the other board!
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Self-esteem begins with having compassion for ourselves, understanding who we are as individuals.

Oh, wow, man. What a deep thought! So feeling sorry for yourself is the first step. Far out.

Then to forgive ourselves

Cool theology. New age. No self-esteem-robbing guilt involved. In my backward theology, you have to ask forgiveness from God or from those you've trespassed against. I think I'm switching to this new do-it-yourself model.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Here we go

Quote:

I agree with this statement.

Are you saying MLB umpires do not make the best possible effort to get it correct??

Crappy.

I believe it has been owners that have voted down IR, not umpires. Hell this statement sounds like a coach whining about a rule that we are paid to enforce but they are the ones that voted and added it to the book.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"My belief is if you really, honestly believe you are good, then you will welcome review. If not, then hide behind your "integrity" excuse. But how about getting out of the way of umpires who would prefer to reward the game with accuracy and don't have these mountain high, self esteem issues as crutches.
Umpires are reviewed on a daily basis by every fan, coach, player, camera, sports reporter and supervisor, whether they welcome it or not.

What a bitter man.... miss out on that exclusive 9-10 year old championship game this year?
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
Are you purporting yourself to be absent any self-esteem issues? Then why must you post to try to prove certain individuals wrong?

Your posts have become tiresome. I shall now add you to MY ignore list.

Ahhhh... much better.
I tried and it worked great for a day or two but seems broken lately because posts are getting through...
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I tried and it worked great for a day or two but seems broken lately because posts are getting through...

I had the same problem when I added this poster to my ignore list. I figured out that I wasn't signed in when I opened up my browser. You have to sign in.

BTW I was about to stop looking at this forum until I used this feature on that poster. That how bad this poster has polluted this forum.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

so at what POINT does the MOD say WOW since 4/5 of the entire FORUM has IGNORED you but you STILL fill the forum with DRIVEL--that the DRIVELER is MADE to take a TIME OUT?

3/4 of EVERY THREAD is NOW IGnored posts from this GUY. WHEN will the forum END IT?
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
so at what POINT does the MOD say WOW since 4/5 of the entire FORUM has IGNORED you but you STILL fill the forum with DRIVEL--that the DRIVELER is MADE to take a TIME OUT?

3/4 of EVERY THREAD is NOW IGnored posts from this GUY. WHEN will the forum END IT?
Wrong information. Mick and Bob, the moderators, do NOT have the power to ban posters. They can recommend that but the owner of the site is the only one that is able to actually get rid of annoying posters. And that doesn't stop those yoyos from registering under another name and resuming posting. Case in point--the Chinese shoe sellers and PWL/StevenTyler. We've got a clown over on the basketball forum that's on his fourth nom de net; he's been tossed under his first three.

Personally, I think that posters who mix caps and small letters and give readers headaches by doing so should be banned too.

Just trying to help
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
I had the same problem when I added this poster to my ignore list. I figured out that I wasn't signed in when I opened up my browser. You have to sign in.

BTW I was about to stop looking at this forum until I used this feature on that poster. That how bad this poster has polluted this forum.
Thanks. I was not aware you had to sign in.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 05:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Thanks. I was not aware you had to sign in.
After you sign in, add the website to your favorites list. Then you don't have to keep signing in as it will automatically do it for you.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 09:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Self-esteem begins with having compassion for ourselves, understanding who we are as individuals.

Oh, wow, man. What a deep thought! So feeling sorry for yourself is the first step. Far out.

Then to forgive ourselves

Cool theology. New age. No self-esteem-robbing guilt involved. In my backward theology, you have to ask forgiveness from God or from those you've trespassed against. I think I'm switching to this new do-it-yourself model.
Good luck with that!