Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
RE: the throw in diagram....

Why do so many officials place the ball for a throw in just outside the lane on the endline, no matter where the violation occurred along the endline (or on the court if we are "pushing" down to the endline)?
I'm a throw-in spot stickler like several of the others, and nowhere moreso than on the endline. Obviously, the ball is never put in inside the lane lines extended so anything that happens in the lane ends up at that spot just outside the lane. However, I'll move players out to the correct spot several times during each game.

"24, take a step out here for me" is a pretty common occurrence in my games.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I'm a throw-in spot stickler like several of the others, and nowhere moreso than on the endline. Obviously, the ball is never put in inside the lane lines extended so anything that happens in the lane ends up at that spot just outside the lane. However, I'll move players out to the correct spot several times during each game.

"24, take a step out here for me" is a pretty common occurrence in my games.
Me too.

"42, out here."
pause while he moves a little
"Three more steps, please."
pause while he moves to the spot.
"Thank you."

Or, I'll find a marking on the floor, "Right here on the "S"."
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Good points on endline throw-in spots.

From a coaches perspective (past life), you will call a timeout with the ball in the lane, to set up a final second in-bound play right under the basket.

Imagine how frustrating it would be when the ball is put in play on the sideline.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You blow the whistle louder or use one of those new SonikBlasts.

Raising the hand on an out-of-bounds call does nothing to improve the clock stopping, in my experience. The officials in non-PTS NCAA games don't raise their hands (in general) and the clock stops just fine.
Why then, blow the whistle at all?

Lazy on mechanics, generally means lazy elsewhere. (in general)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Why then, blow the whistle at all?

Lazy on mechanics, generally means lazy elsewhere. (in general)
The trick is to find out which is "lazy" and which is simply a local difference. And if you can't figure it out quickly, perhaps making a charitable assumption is in order.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post

From a coaches perspective (past life), you will call a timeout with the ball in the lane, to set up a final second in-bound play right under the basket.

Imagine how frustrating it would be when the ball is put in play on the sideline.
It's been my experience that an asst coach will usually ask where the ball will be put into play after I, or my partner, report the timeout to the table.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
It's been my experience that an asst coach will usually ask where the ball will be put into play after I, or my partner, report the timeout to the table.
I had a game last week where the AC would ask every time. Other than that, I've been asked less than 5 times all year.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I had a game last week where the AC would ask every time. Other than that, I've been asked less than 5 times all year.
I always make sure my and partner and I know where the ball will be inbounded. Is there NFHS protocol for notifiying one or both coaches/benches?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post

This is why, in addition to making sure I've designated a spot after granting a timeout (and before reporting it) I am also a big believe in proper mechanics. An official should be at the throw-in spot with the ball. If you're wondering around with the ball, coaches can get confused about where the throw-in spot will be.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
This is why, in addition to making sure I've designated a spot after granting a timeout (and before reporting it) I am also a big believe in proper mechanics. An official should be at the throw-in spot with the ball. If you're wondering around with the ball, coaches can get confused about where the throw-in spot will be.
If that is all we are required to do (which we doo doo), then that answers the question.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that is all we are required to do (which we doo doo), then that answers the question.
Yep, proper mechanics will notify anyone who wants to know. That said, if someone comes out of the huddle to ask we should definitely indicate for them.

It's helpful if you can point to your P and say "right where he's standing."
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The trick is to find out which is "lazy" and which is simply a local difference. And if you can't figure it out quickly, perhaps making a charitable assumption is in order.
This.

My favorite officials to watch (sarcasm alert) are the ones who call an out of bounds by just raising their hands and then not pointing at all (perhaps they are just calling out a color verbally, but who knows since I can't hear them from the stands).

We all have our things and there are regional differences everywhere. One of my peeves is the official who doesn't whistle in subs -- in other areas this is perfectly normal. When in Rome, I guess...
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I always make sure my and partner and I know where the ball will be inbounded. Is there NFHS protocol for notifiying one or both coaches/benches?
That's why the timeout mechanic has one official standing at the spot. If they ask, I'll say "right here" or point to the sideline if I'm standing in front of the bench where the throwin will be.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This.

My favorite officials to watch (sarcasm alert) are the ones who call an out of bounds by just raising their hands and then not pointing at all (perhaps they are just calling out a color verbally, but who knows since I can't hear them from the stands).

We all have our things and there are regional differences everywhere. One of my peeves is the official who doesn't whistle in subs -- in other areas this is perfectly normal. When in Rome, I guess...

Had an observer tell our crew to not whistle in subs. He is a guy who helps on the state tournament selection. So I guess it really does matter where you are located. Was told the only time to whistle in subs is if there is no horn.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Had an observer tell our crew to not whistle in subs. He is a guy who helps on the state tournament selection. So I guess it really does matter where you are located. Was told the only time to whistle in subs is if there is no horn.
Which is in direct opposition to the NFHS manual.

In other words, follow the golden rule. He who has the gold.....