The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Have you ever called a technical for this?

Players coming onto the court to celebrate prematurely?

Here's the story from this morning's Oregonian newspaper: (BTW - note the story calls the action that required the technical foul call a "violation" - it also regards the distance from the mid-court line to the basket as "the length of the court", as does the losing coach)

A bizarre finish to regulation overshadowed a career performance by Lakeridge sophomore point guard Kyleigh Young in a 66-59 double-overtime win at rival Lake Oswego on Friday.

Lake Oswego (2-17, 1-6 Three Rivers League) appeared to have the game in hand when sophomore Paige Timberg made two free throws with 0.4 seconds left for a 50-49 lead.

But the Lakers were called for a technical foul when the players on their bench, celebrating the apparent winning free throw, spilled onto the court, a violation. Young, who scored a career high 34 points, made one of two free throws to tie and force overtime for the Pacers (13-6, 5-2).

Lakeridge coach Katy Wilson said she didn't see the Lake Oswego players on the court, but Pacers sophomore Nicole Blizzard pointed it out to an official.

"I was like, 'Man, we just lost.' I had no idea," Wilson said this week. "I didn't talk to the ref. I was accepting that we lost the game. Lake Oswego played a phenomenal game. The outcome is unfortunate. A win is a win, but I'm not really happy with how we won.

"But I don't want to take anything away from my kids because in the end, they kept battling and fought through it."

The loss stung the Lakers, especially considering how they have struggled this season.

"It's a pretty hard pill to swallow," Lake Oswego coach Paula Pietrok said. "The lose on a technicality is hard for the girls. Basically, that call took away a win for us."

After Timberg made the second free throw, Lakeridge needed to go the length of the court in 0.4 seconds. The Pacers inbounded on the opposite side of the court from Lake Oswego's bench.

"Nobody can score in 0.4 seconds going the length of the court, especially in girls basketball," Pietrok said.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, Mark. I didn't see this article.

First of all, "the call" didn't take the game away from the girls. The actions of the girls took the game away.

That being said, if the opposing coach didn't even notice, I kinda wonder how serious the infraction was. I'm already speculating who the refs were...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Players coming onto the court to celebrate prematurely?

Here's the story from this morning's Oregonian newspaper: (BTW - note the story calls the action that required the technical foul call a "violation" - it also regards the distance from the mid-court line to the basket as "the length of the court", as does the losing coach)

A bizarre finish to regulation overshadowed a career performance by Lakeridge sophomore point guard Kyleigh Young in a 66-59 double-overtime win at rival Lake Oswego on Friday.

Lake Oswego (2-17, 1-6 Three Rivers League) appeared to have the game in hand when sophomore Paige Timberg made two free throws with 0.4 seconds left for a 50-49 lead.

But the Lakers were called for a technical foul when the players on their bench, celebrating the apparent winning free throw, spilled onto the court, a violation. Young, who scored a career high 34 points, made one of two free throws to tie and force overtime for the Pacers (13-6, 5-2).

Lakeridge coach Katy Wilson said she didn't see the Lake Oswego players on the court, but Pacers sophomore Nicole Blizzard pointed it out to an official.

"I was like, 'Man, we just lost.' I had no idea," Wilson said this week. "I didn't talk to the ref. I was accepting that we lost the game. Lake Oswego played a phenomenal game. The outcome is unfortunate. A win is a win, but I'm not really happy with how we won.

"But I don't want to take anything away from my kids because in the end, they kept battling and fought through it."

The loss stung the Lakers, especially considering how they have struggled this season.

"It's a pretty hard pill to swallow," Lake Oswego coach Paula Pietrok said. "The lose on a technicality is hard for the girls. Basically, that call took away a win for us."

After Timberg made the second free throw, Lakeridge needed to go the length of the court in 0.4 seconds. The Pacers inbounded on the opposite side of the court from Lake Oswego's bench.

"Nobody can score in 0.4 seconds going the length of the court, especially in girls basketball," Pietrok said.
Isn't this the video that was posted earlier this week?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yep.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One thought:
1. Coach says "I'm not happy with how we won." BS, from the video, the coach brought it to the ref's attention.

I think the "length of the court" comments were in reference to what would have needed to happen without the T.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

Can somebody please provide a link? I didn't see it in this week's postings.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Can you find the link?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes I called this and it happened this year.

In my game the visiting team bench comes onto the court after a big dunk that would have won the game with about 1 or 2 seconds left in the game. Unfortunately it was so obvious we could not look the other way or try to not call it as the player came all the way across the lane to congratulate a teammate. The T allowed the home team to shoot FTs to go into overtime and the visiting team lost in overtime.

Life happens.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think the "length of the court" comments were in reference to what would have needed to happen without the T.
Hadn't thought of that. I think you're right.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Post #13
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's the link to the post, but I'm asking about the video RichMSN mentioned.
the link in the post went to the video...but it appears to have been taken down by the site.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 03:12pm
We don't rent pigs

I saw the video. The infraction was not marginal. Half the bench was waaaaay out in the middle of the floor celebrating. The odd part is the considerable amount of time which passed before the call was made. The bench complained to the first official, who went and conferred with the second official, who eventually signaled the T.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 03:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I saw the video. The infraction was not marginal. Half the bench was waaaaay out in the middle of the floor celebrating. The odd part is the considerable amount of time which passed before the call was made. The bench complained to the first official, who went and conferred with the second official, who eventually signaled the T.
The official who signaled the T did absolutely nothing when the players came on the floor, either. No movement to try to stop it, no whistle, no technical. By rule, it was handled properly after the fact, but the video just makes it look terrible.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 03:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
by rule, it was handled properly after the fact, but the video just makes it look terrible.
+1

Lonesome Dove