The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most common mistake by refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56976-most-common-mistake-refs.html)

MelbRef Sun Feb 07, 2010 02:51pm

Most common mistake by refs

Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

As I work with newer refs, it seems like the most common error is placement of the inbound after an over-and-back violation.

I don't know how many times I have seen the ball placed for inbound at the half court line after the ball is touched deep in the backcourt.

Other situations?

deecee Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:18pm

Most common mistake by refs

anytime we blow the whistle.:eek:

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:33pm

I don't understand the question. What's a "mistake"? :confused:

bas2456 Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659293)

I thought for sure you would have said OT

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659293)

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was mistaken. :D

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659286)
Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

As I work with newer refs, it seems like the most common error is placement of the inbound after an over-and-back violation.

I don't know how many times I have seen the ball placed for inbound at the half court line after the ball is touched deep in the backcourt.

Other situations?

MelbRef:

I would tend to agree with you. Even worse is the fact that there are many veteran officials that make the same mistake. Are you from Melbourne, Florida?

MTD, Sr.

mutantducky Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:41pm

I've heard about those before. only happened once in 62 at a small gym in North Dakota. poor ref was never seen again.

grunewar Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:44pm

Back on Topic

With many of the newer officials (and some older ones too), I'll go with not putting the ball in play at the right location after a violation or when the ball goes out of bounds.

Many would put it in play anywhere if I let them. ;)

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:50pm

I do not think there is a "common" mistake that officials make. We make a lot of different mistakes based on the official and the level. I do not see any one violation or foul that is called that everyone makes consistently.

Maybe I see a lot of officials not report to the table properly. Either they do not stop or they flip hands, but that is no different than officials that make calls that are not there or could have passed on. But I do not see this as "common" as we all are in different stages of development and ability.

Peace

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:52pm

OK - let's be somewhat fair here. Do you mean a mechanics mistake, a rule interp mistake or a judgment mistake?

BillyMac Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:01pm

This Appears To Be A Job For The Mythbusters ...

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659303)
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

Funny you said that. I just worked with an official that is a veteran that put the ball in play after a backcourt violation at the division line, when the touching of the ball (that actually caused the violation) in the backcourt below the top of the 3 point line. I did not make a big deal out of it, but I knew it was wrong. I do not think I have seen someone do that in a long time.

Peace

jeffpea Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:34pm

the most common mistake that officials make (at any level or at any experience level) is simply....not blowing the whistle enough.

99.99999% of problems in a game come from not blowing the whistle. the "default" that most new officials have (which carries over to their later years) is to not blow the whistle.

just another ref Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659304)
Funny you said that. I just worked with an official that is a veteran that put the ball in play after a backcourt violation at the division line, when the touching of the ball (that actually caused the violation) in the backcourt below the top of the 3 point line. I did not make a big deal out of it, but I knew it was wrong. I do not think I have seen someone do that in a long time.

I had the same situation in reverse. Touch was at the free throw line. I called the violation. Throw-in at the end line. Next timeout, my veteran partner asked what the call was. I told him backcourt. He asked why the throw-in was "down there." I said that's where the violation happened. He said nothing else, but his expression said that he thought I didn't know what I was doing.

This one may be worthy of a spot on Billy Mac's list.

Adam Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659307)
the most common mistake that officials make (at any level or at any experience level) is simply....not blowing the whistle enough.

99.99999% of problems in a game come from not blowing the whistle. the "default" that most new officials have (which carries over to their later years) is to not blow the whistle.

Followed very quickly by calling every little piece of contact a foul. This stage lasts longer, IMO, so I consider it more common at lower levels.